Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Millenium Hilton New York Downtown {US-NY} — NO LONGER HILTON HONORS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Millenium Hilton New York Downtown {US-NY} — NO LONGER HILTON HONORS

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2001, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, RC PLT, SPG PLT
Just got back from my NYC visit and a stay at the Millennium. Great experience!! I was given a room on the 49th floor with a view of the WTC. Concierge was able to get me a last minute table at Danube, which was packed. An aside, if you want a great dining experience, this is the restaurant to go to (original Klimt art in the dining room.) Back to the hotel, room service was prompt & accurate. Was staying alone and was given two breakfast certificates, and a free wine or beer with dinner. There were not suites available, or they would have been happy to upgrade me. All and all, with this experience, I will be back and would recommend this hotel to all.
Old May 28, 2001, 10:07 pm

nice place...great location. being diamond, i got the free breakfast, not much else...nice service though but they tacked on the dumb energy charge.

------------------
HH Dmnd, AA Gld, DT Slvr
Old May 29, 2001, 6:07 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The former Vista is now the Marriott WTC and it is soon to be renamed a JW Marriott, as I understand it!
Old May 30, 2001, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
We were just there in early May - got upgraded to a suite as Gold, breakfast, (you get a coupon for the restaurant whichentitles you to the large cont break or an item off the menu) , excellent service and I really like the location. It's very quiet even when it's busy and the concierge was extremely helpful. I will go back there again!

We usu stay at the W Tuscany or COurt but now I have added this to my list..
Old May 30, 2001, 4:02 pm

We were just there in early May - got upgraded to a suite as Gold, breakfast, (you get a coupon for the restaurant whichentitles you to the large cont break or an item off the menu) , excellent service and I really like the location. It's very quiet even when it's busy and the concierge was extremely helpful. I will go back there again!

We usu stay at the W Tuscany or COurt but now I have added this to my list..
Old May 31, 2001, 5:30 pm
UpUp&Upgrade

I would highly recommend this hotel! I was just there in mid-May on a three-day free stay with points. Got upgraded to a Mini-Suite with a great view upon check-in! There is a subway stop right outside the hotel (N&R lines) and several subway line options in the World Trade Center (right across the street).

It's more affordable than the Hilton Waldorf, and its kinda like a Waldorf in reverse ... While the Waldorf has a huge lobby with tiny rooms, the Millenium has huge rooms with a tiny lobby. I would take the latter any day!

Old Jun 6, 2001, 6:41 am

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Chance of upgrade at NY Millenium?

Okay, here's the situation: I want to take my little sister out to a weekend in NY. I thought we'd make it a two night stay, and plan on booking two rooms each night. (Mom wouldn't want us to draw a line down the middle of the hotel room, and fight like little kids if someone crossed the line, after all.)

I've done some searches on different NY hotels. It seems like the Millenium NY is a nice place, and it's rated as a Classic hotel instead of a Premium one, so I'd save 12,000 points going with that. I know where the location is, and it should be fine, just a subway hop away from Times Square.

Now my questions:

1. How hard is it to book Point Stretcher awards for a weekend trip, 2 rooms, if you're not too particular about which weekend you go and can book in advance? Using the horrid search capabilities on Hilton's web site I see that they, in theory, have PointSaver rates in the August-December time frame I'm interested in.

2. When's a good time to go to maximize my chance at an upgrade, assuming I can go sometime between August and December? I understand it'll be hit or miss, catch as catch can, but when are the odds in my favor? I'm a Gold Honors member, but that's just comped from the recent 50K promotion. I think I've read of people getting multiple rooms upgraded (though not at this particular property).

Any advice is appreciated. My sister is a poor starving graduate student, and I'm not sure when the last time she spent a night in a hotel that wasn't of the Motel 6 variety. So I'm hoping to come up with something that'll be a little fancier than that.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, RC PLT, SPG PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">

Any advice is appreciated. My sister is a poor starving graduate student, and I'm not sure when the last time she spent a night in a hotel that wasn't of the Motel 6 variety. So I'm hoping to come up with something that'll be a little fancier than that. [/B]</font>
I just stayed at the Millennium for two nights over Memorial Day weekend. Nice size room (especially for NYC), 49th floor in a fifty-five story building, great view of the World Trade Center, nice size bathroom, terrycloth robe. Good value for the $125/nite rate. There were no suites available at check-in or they would have upgraded me. If you send me your email address I will send you a photo of the room and the view.

Not sure about best time to go re: upgrade, but try to avoid holiday & event weekends.

Hope this helps.

Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:13 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Hilton Millenium NYC - thoughts

I am burning some points to stay at the above hotel this weekend. Whats it like - do they do anything for diamonds ?? Do the rooms have fast internet access ?

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:58 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Stayed there on a priceline rate in May. I was given a nice corner room on the 44th floor, and breakfast coupons. The view of Manhattan was excellent.
The room was not huge, but quite acceptable for NYC. It had internet access (CAIS - $10 or $15 per day, i do not remember), which I would rate average concerning the speed and after fighting with the cables (they were not plugged in correctly) I finally got connected.
Staff was very friendly and accomodating - definitely a 3* property. Enjoy!
Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:59 am

Yes, they have broadband Net access. It's a nice hotel. I am not a Diamond so I cannot answer the first part.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:15 pm

I love this property for

its location in NYC - I m more likely to visit and tour around lower Manhattan than anywhere else.
attentiveness of the staff
great upgrades for Gold - we were in a corner suite - can;t speak for diamonds.
breakfast coupons each day for an excellent buffet
HOWEVER the high speed internet service really sucked - was not high speed - and we gave up after one day.

Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:19 pm
Commander Catcop

THis is one of those secret finds in NYC, a hotel where you can even get a good, bargain rate.

Staff is friendly and attentive.
There's a good bar on the third floor with a fun bartender who cracks jokes with the beer.
A decent restaurant right next door.
and Across teh street: the "unofficial" Flyertalk Krispy Kreame shop. A MUST VISIT!

The one thing to watch out for: Make sure you HHonors number and airline #'s are in the system and get onto your account. Sometimes they DON"T credit but HHonors will credit after calling (they have gotten better lately though.)

Other than this a virtually FOUR PAWS UP hotel.

Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:26 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
If proof were needed as to the state of indias advanced telecomunications (you must be in mumbai ) a welcome condonement from Catman

Thanks

Old Jul 20, 2001, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
This hotel was my very first stay as a Gold a few years ago. The desk clerk at the time seemed ignorant of Gold status, despite my showing him the physical card as well as referencing it in the reservation. We got a tiny room on a rather low floor. The room was just barely large enough to contain the king bed with a foot or two around each edge. At the time I figured, 'hey it's Manhattan' and just enjoyed.

The bargain rate we booked included continental breakfast for two and the desk clerk didn't believe it, so he went in the back and basically took the attitude that he still didn't believe there was such a rate, but here are six breakfast coupons (2 persons times 3 nights). I don't think breakfast was a listed benefit for Golds at the time (just Towers lounge if they had one). Getting breakfast in NYC is a good thing. Each of those coupons had a cash value of $17 including tax.

The breakfast and the hotel itself are very nice and I agree that this is an undiscovered find in NYC. There are so many subway lines, I'll be staying there until I retire before I figure them all out.

In more more jaded old age, I almost always express any displeasure right away and give them a chance to do something rather than be upset for my entire stay. When I am by myself and it's just one night, I'm not picky.

Although even for the one night stands, I've learned a valuable lesson. Not a Hilton, but I once stayed at the Hampton, VA Holiday Inn, which has a main building with some quite nice rooms. They gave me, however, a room in a satellite building right next to the freeway with a noisy window air conditioner. The room itself was yuccky. It's one of the few times I have had a genuinely unacceptable hotel/motel room. I figured, 'hey, I'm only here for 9 hours. I won't complain.' Well, 3 hours later, I could simply not fall asleep with the freeway and air conditioner noise. Turning the air conditioner off made the room unbearable. I complained over the phone; they offered me an executive room in the main hotel and I switched myself and my suitcase at 2:30AM. The new room was like being in a totally different hotel, just lovely in every respect.

To bring this little story back to the Hilton board, it turns out there is a nice Hampton Inn (Hampton, VA - no relation :-) )adjacent owned by the same company. Now I stay in the Hampton Inn and can use the facilities of both the Hampton and Holiday Inn, including the gyms, pools, manager's evening reception, etc. Rates are about $90 in high season with AAA and about $60 in low season.

Charles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.