Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 5:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
I'm keeping HGI BUD on points as back up in case of serious teething problems at the Hampton. I'd ordinarily have cash for HGI but had to use points after scoring what looked to be decent cash rates for the Hilton VIE Plaza's Penthouse Executive Room (My wife and I really like having drinks out on balconies), so that's tied up the liquidity there.
Yes, that's quite sensible, there is a risk of delays on any hotel opening, but Hamptons in Europe tend to quite scripted in development terms that I wouldn't expect a big delay. The BUD HGI has some balcony junior suite like options with inter-connected spaces. It's quite high up, the immediate few metres isn't a great view, rubbish bins and all, but it stretches over the historic roof tops of central Budapest and is quite lovely on a warm evening. Less so in driving rain!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Those are very UK centric POV. In France, Germany or Poland, the Hamptons are brand new, have typically a better room than an HGI, as large as an HGI or often bigger (specially as Diamond where I was given corner rooms in Hampton which are very big). The newly opened HGI Mannheim does not have a desk, while all Hamptons in Germany would have one.
I now usually choose Hampton over HGI any day.
The HbH Berlin City West is 13 years old, opened 2010. The oldest and first in Europe is Corby which opened 2009, one year older than DE.

It's the opposite of what you write, older ones have bigger rooms, newer ones smaller. Newer are a modular construction, built in China and shipped over.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:35 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The HbH Berlin City West was the only Hampton in Germany for a while, then just before the pandemic they opened a lot of them. I had rooms bigger than 40 sqm in Hamptons in Freiburg or Nuremberg. In Gdansk it was circa 30 sqm. They are not modular, look at the shape of some of those building, you have corner rooms and such. They all have a desk, which is not a feature of new HGI. They all have a rain shower, which is not a feature of old HGI.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The HbH Berlin City West was the only Hampton in Germany for a while, then just before the pandemic they opened a lot of them. I had rooms bigger than 40 sqm in Hamptons in Freiburg or Nuremberg. In Gdansk it was circa 30 sqm. They are not modular, look at the shape of some of those building, you have corner rooms and such. They all have a desk, which is not a feature of new HGI. They all have a rain shower, which is not a feature of old HGI.
I stayed 2 weeks ago at HGI Evora in Portugal. It had a 2+ metre long desk, 1 metre across, along the window, plenty of power sockets and a dual shower, local and overhead, with multiple spray options. It is less than 3 months old.

This set of posts stem from a query about Europe wide standards of Hampton versus HGI. I've given a generic reply and I'm happy with it, based on my own experiences. But frankly the better answer would have been "it will depend on where you are staying". In this case the OP thankfully clarified it was Budapest and that's an HGI I know, it has desks, some rooms with outdoors spaces, junior suites, and I suspect 80% of the rooms will be larger than the Hampton, which from the website appears to have the standard modular design, where you can predict exactly what picture will be hanging on the wall to the right of the bed. Unless the questioner was staying in 6 separate "HGI versus Hampton" locations, my answer is actually close to useless, the details matter.

The getting rid of desks - which is a huge nuisance for me - is part of a trend in many brands where it get replaced with hot desk style arrangements conspicuously close to the bar. So cheaper for the hotel and may even drive a new revenue stream. I've no doubt that Hampton may get swept along with this at some point but I hope not, I can't see it as what many customers would want.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're building new modular hotels, it's the way it's going. They've built several in Poland and in the UK.

Gdansk are all according to the old format.

The modular design is clearly defined, it has a rolling glass shower door, it's not open.

Hilton would rather open Hamptons than any other brand. They're highly profitable. If they could knock down the Caley in EDI and replace it with a big Hampton, they would and Simon Vincent could get that CBE upgraded to a KBE.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:12 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

The getting rid of desks - which is a huge nuisance for me - is part of a trend in many brands where it get replaced with hot desk style arrangements conspicuously close to the bar. So cheaper for the hotel and may even drive a new revenue stream. I've no doubt that Hampton may get swept along with this at some point but I hope not, I can't see it as what many customers would want.
It is a nuisance for me too. Hilton already has a couple of brands with hot desks, those new ones I never used (Motto or Greet ? Canopy maybe ?)
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Personally I would be willing to pay slightly more to go into HGI, so US$10-$20 area - over a Hampton, if everything else is equal. Other people would calibrate this differently according to their own preferences.
It's less than 50 days to go to the BUD leg of our CEE trip, but the delta in cash rates between the HGI and brand new Hampton is stubbornly holding to 40ish euros; I booked the Hampton just when it opened for sale that the rates since then have not quite been beaten yet despite considerable fluctuations. The Hampton's also had to push back its opening to 30 Aug (originally in early September brought forward to early Aug and then postponed), so still something of a question mark.

The HGI in BUD is claimed on the website to be about 24sqm. Since size is almost always at least a good to have, would the Hampton be comparably sized or significantly smaller? And are upgrades at European HGIs (and specifically the HGI in BUD) even a possibility?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:29 am

The HGI in BUD is claimed on the website to be about 24sqm. Since size is almost always at least a good to have, would the Hampton be comparably sized or significantly smaller? And are upgrades at European HGIs (and specifically the HGI in BUD) even a possibility?
Hampton's unit size in 22m˛ so a bit smaller. In both cases there will be variations connected to the geography of the building. HGIs will vary more, since the build isn't modular, whereas Hampton's 22m˛ is the standardised unit size as constructed. But for both hotels, when the building puts a corner or duct in the wrong place they have work around that and usually it's a bigger room as a result. I guess the other point to be made is that for Hamptons some thought is given to working within small spaces and making the best of it, so the space is more efficiently managed. So the desk is narrower but has a fold over section to increase the size when required, or folded back when it would get in the way.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:44 pm

Hampton's unit size in 22m˛ so a bit smaller. In both cases there will be variations connected to the geography of the building. HGIs will vary more, since the build isn't modular, whereas Hampton's 22m˛ is the standardised unit size as constructed. But for both hotels, when the building puts a corner or duct in the wrong place they have work around that and usually it's a bigger room as a result. I guess the other point to be made is that for Hamptons some thought is given to working within small spaces and making the best of it, so the space is more efficiently managed. So the desk is narrower but has a fold over section to increase the size when required, or folded back when it would get in the way.
Thanks. Working desk isn't needed for traditional usage since it's a leisure trip, but depending on depth/width might be useful as an ersatz luggage rack.
Breakfast-wise, my expectations from either are not high, but there seem to be a fair bit of complaints online about the HGI-BUD's breakfast delivery, i.e. lack of warming. As it stands, the Hampton's the one to beat unless the launch's a cock up.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks. Working desk isn't needed for traditional usage since it's a leisure trip, but depending on depth/width might be useful as an ersatz luggage rack.
Breakfast-wise, my expectations from either are not high, but there seem to be a fair bit of complaints online about the HGI-BUD's breakfast delivery, i.e. lack of warming. As it stands, the Hampton's the one to beat unless the launch's a cock up.
I've found that Hampton & HGI locations in Europe overall far exceed what ne expects from those brands in the US.
dannybhoy and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've found that Hampton & HGI locations in Europe overall far exceed what ne expects from those brands in the US.
I've had decent experiences with HGIs in APAC, so if the HGI-BUD approximates those, that'll do for me. Never stayed in a Hampton, so I'd not be displeased to have to try it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.