FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Honors Gold status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1292679-honors-gold-status.html)

Viper99 Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Honors Gold status

Hi,

The hilton card is confusing me, I've been a PC Platinum holder for about 3 years now and BA sent me a gold card in the post with Hilton so I'd decided to give it a whirl.

2 bookings made 1st one at Strathclyde Hilton where I slept on the floor ! There is an explanation for this, I have a disc that moves in my back so a good nights sleep is a little bit of a hard thing for me to get especially when the hotel ignore the booking and give me a single bed. Hence I spent the night sleeping on the floor. 2 nd booking again the confirmation came back with double room and on arrival at the Nottingham Hilton I ended up with a single room, I even flashed the gold card on checkin and was given a free gold card wifi code which I found out in the morning was for cable access and not wifi.

I must say that I use a 3rd party agent to book the rooms but always check with them and the loyalty program service centre that once booked they have booked a double room.

On both booking my request for a set room has been ignored, the card itself as far as I can see has no value on checkin just got a oh I'll take the number and I'm just wondering about the value of this loyalty program as you seem to have to stay quite a few nights even to get enough points for something like a Hampton inn.

jkburns1 Dec 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Viper99 (Post 17650629)
Hi,

The hilton card is confusing me, I've been a PC Platinum holder for about 3 years now and BA sent me a gold card in the post with Hilton so I'd decided to give it a whirl.

2 bookings made 1st one at Strathclyde Hilton where I slept on the floor ! There is an explanation for this, I have a disc that moves in my back so a good nights sleep is a little bit of a hard thing for me to get especially when the hotel ignore the booking and give me a single bed. Hence I spent the night sleeping on the floor. 2 nd booking again the confirmation came back with double room and on arrival at the Nottingham Hilton I ended up with a single room, I even flashed the gold card on checkin and was given a free gold card wifi code which I found out in the morning was for cable access and not wifi.

I must say that I use a 3rd party agent to book the rooms but always check with them and the loyalty program service centre that once booked they have booked a double room.

On both booking my request for a set room has been ignored, the card itself as far as I can see has no value on checkin just got a oh I'll take the number and I'm just wondering about the value of this loyalty program as you seem to have to stay quite a few nights even to get enough points for something like a Hampton inn.

What is it you're confused about?

If you were booked for a double room and got a single (not sure what you mean by "single" I only see double rooms or twin for Strathclyde other then Junior suites etc.)did you say anything AFTER getting into room that you booked a double?

As for the value... well may I suggest you try this:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/gold.do

CIT85 Dec 18, 2011 3:24 pm

You have a few issues to consider.

1) UK Hiltons are very poor, especially outside of London.
2) Some 3rd party bookings may not get you HHONORS Gold benefits, depends on the 3rd party. The bed preference also needs to be confirmed by Hilton.
3) Hilton is weaker than other chains in guaranteeing room type and bed preference. Hyatt actually guarantees bed preference booked.

adambrock Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm

The physical card isn't going to get you any different treatment, as long as your HHonors number is already on the reservation. When the rep pulls up your reservation, the HHonors membership level is displayed fairly prominently. I believe a portion of the screen is shaded in a color related to your membership level (so being Gold it's a shade of yellow).

Getting the room type you want isn't really something I'd think would change with your HHonors level. If you didn't get the room type you requested, it could be an issue with how the room was booked, or it's just been two unfortunate events. If it's an issue for you, call the hotel the day before and let them know you need a certain type room because of your back. You can be assured they'll accomodate you if possible.

shoreline Dec 18, 2011 5:20 pm

when you book the room the room type is specified and this is the room type that is being guaranteed to you.

Maybe it's different if you book third party. Is the room type you paid for not showing on the reservation?:confused:

If not, that's a huge downfall of a third party booking. I would like to know the room type I booked is the type I am going to get upon arrival.;)

cfischer Dec 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85 (Post 17650959)
You have a few issues to consider.

1) UK Hiltons are very poor, especially outside of London.
2) Some 3rd party bookings may not get you HHONORS Gold benefits, depends on the 3rd party. The bed preference also needs to be confirmed by Hilton.
3) Hilton is weaker than other chains in guaranteeing room type and bed preference. Hyatt actually guarantees bed preference booked.

3rd party bookings get you all Gold benefits as long as you booked a hilton and not opaque. You may not earn points for your stay but as long as your HH# is on the reservation you should get your benis.

Only once or twice did I not get the bed type I had reserved and the hotel is usually very apologetic about it. Very strange story from the OP. are you sure your HH# is in the reservation?

Tenere Feb 12, 2012 1:18 pm

one question: as Hilton Gold can I book single occupancy rooms and then - due to my Gold status - stay there as couple?

pinniped Feb 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tenere (Post 18001153)
one question: as Hilton Gold can I book single occupancy rooms and then - due to my Gold status - stay there as couple?

Wouldn't a single-occupancy room have only a single twin bed? (I mean, isn't that the definition of single-occupancy? One with a single double or two twins would be listed as "max 2", wouldn't it?)

Outside of a hotel with very tight security and airport-like processes of matching everyone's passport to the hotel guest list, I'm should you *could* do it....but would you ever want to? :confused:

Tenere Feb 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 18001181)
Wouldn't a single-occupancy room have only a single twin bed? (I mean, isn't that the definition of single-occupancy? One with a single double or two twins would be listed as "max 2", wouldn't it?)

I'm talking about Hilton hotels in Asia who don't even have single rooms with single beds - but there is a small surcharge if you book for 2 Persons instead of 1.

My question was if my Gold status entitles me to book for 1 person (single occupancy) and get always double occupancy due to my Gold status (as I get 2 breakfast for a 2nd registered guest)

Princess fiona Feb 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tenere (Post 18001207)

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 18001181)

I'm talking about Hilton hotels in Asia who don't even have single rooms with single beds - but there is a small surcharge if you book for 2 Persons instead of 1.

My question was if my Gold status entitles me to book for 1 person (single occupancy) and get always double occupancy due to my Gold status (as I get 2 breakfast for a 2nd registered guest)

Yes you can do this. Hilton T&C's have a " Spouse stays free".
Book for one and enter the " Spouse stays free" in the comments section.
I have done this successfully in Australia and assume it shouldn't be a problem elsewhere.

cordelli Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Did you ask at the desk when checking in for a certain type of room? Did they explain why you had one room reserved but they were downgrading you?

Showing the card won't get you different treatment. If you want a specific type of room you need to tell them, if they don't give you what your travel agent has reserved for you, they need to tell you why.

shoreline Feb 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tenere (Post 18001153)

Unforntunately, If the hotel charges for a 2nd person in the room, Gold status will not help. This is not listed as a benefit under the Gold tier status benes.

cordelli Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 18003123)
Unforntunately, If the hotel charges for a 2nd person in the room, Gold status will not help. This is not listed as a benefit under the Gold tier status benes.

That's not correct.

From the Terms and Conditions

HHonors Amenities for all Members, including Blue, Silver Elite, Gold Elite and Diamond Elite Members

Spouse stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays. This benefit excludes stays at Hampton Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites. This benefit does not apply at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking, etc.) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge.

Spouse stays free applies to all membership levels, including gold.

MoreMilesPlease Feb 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 18003123)

Yes it is a benefit for ALL Honors members. So even if you are Honors Blue you get the Spouse Stays Free at all properties except Hampton's.

PanGalactic Feb 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 18003164)
That's not correct.

From the Terms and Conditions

HHonors Amenities for all Members, including Blue, Silver Elite, Gold Elite and Diamond Elite Members

Spouse stays free in the Member's room on qualifying stays. This benefit excludes stays at Hampton Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites. This benefit does not apply at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (e.g., meals, activities, parking, etc.) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge.

Spouse stays free applies to all membership levels, including gold.

Dammit!, that means I have wasted some money :(, is it worth me calling them to discuss this, I have 4 stays booked so far this year!