Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 20, 02, 3:32 pm   #1

Made a GLON in Orlando...

For what it's worth, I was able to book a GLON for the ES in Lake Buena Vista for the 6 nights starting on Monday 3/17/03. Was originally looking for 3/14, nothing was available to start any time through that weekend. The helpful HH agent also looked at the Doubletree Castle as a possibility, but where it wasn't a suite, I declined. I had to make 2 calls to double check the new date and the second HH agent was also helpful and recommended the ES. With 3 adults and 2 kids, I thought it would be better to do the suite, rather than the Hilton in Downtown Disney. The Doubletree in Downtown Disney would have run an extra 50,000 pts.

Note on the Castle- agent had indicated there were just 2 award spaces left for that property on the date he offered. I think somewhere in the conversations on the ES, there may have been 8 award spaces available.

stevenl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 02, 7:21 am   #2
Suspended

Location: IAH-LAX -IAH Continental - Platinum EARNED(with calouses on my butt) Hilton Honors - Diamond
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stevenl57:
I thought it would be better to do the suite, rather than the Hilton in Downtown Disney.
</font>
Just returned from a week at Hilton /Downtown Disney, was aable to book in January for the Week after easter (Traditional Spring Break Week)

------------------
"A Southwest line never gets longer, It only gets wider"
Follow this link to find out how to earn UAL Miles:
http://www.epoll.com/signupform-b.asp?ARP=1727
dcwcce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 02, 9:58 am   #3

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stevenl57:
For what it's worth, I was able to book a GLON for the ES in Lake Buena Vista for the 6 nights starting on Monday 3/17/03. Was originally looking for 3/14, nothing was available to start any time through that weekend. The helpful HH agent also looked at the Doubletree Castle as a possibility, but where it wasn't a suite, I declined. I had to make 2 calls to double check the new date and the second HH agent was also helpful and recommended the ES. With 3 adults and 2 kids, I thought it would be better to do the suite, rather than the Hilton in Downtown Disney. The Doubletree in Downtown Disney would have run an extra 50,000 pts.
</font>
I think you will be very happy at the ES, it's a great hotel for a family. We stayed there in Dec, and had a great time. You are still pretty close to downtown Disney, just a quick drive. I don't think I would spend the extra 50,000 points. Plus you get the free breakfast at the ES.
RoadWeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 02, 5:14 pm   #4

Thx Roadweary, just out of curiousity, how did they treat you as a Gold?
Old Apr 23, 02, 10:49 am   #5

Quote:
Thx Roadweary, just out of curiousity, how did they treat you as a Gold?</font>
I felt I was treated very well by the hotel. However I can't honestly say that was due to the fact that I was Gold, I think it's just a well managed property. We got a nice suite, of course all rooms at ES are suites. We also had a large "Embassy Touch" package with multiple snacks, cookies and water bottles in our room when we arrived.

The made to order breakfast was good, and I enjoyed the evening reception. I was nice to relax with with a little beer or wine by the pool while my son was swimming. Somedays all he wanted to do was swim, in some ways he enjoyed the pool more than Disney.

Have a great trip!!
RoadWeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 02, 6:04 pm   #6

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The whole family is jacked and pumped, but we've got 11 months of waiting ahead.
Old Mar 27, 03, 9:11 pm   #7

Orlando GLON

What is a good property for a GLON in Orlando? Have one booked at the Homewood on International Drive. Looking for other suggestions.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 03, 8:32 am   #8

Are you going to Disney or just Orlando for another reason? If Disney, the Hilton Resort at Downtown Disney was very nice. It can be used with a TEEN award and that is the same number of points as GLON at the present time.

If you are not going to Disney, be more specific in the area that you want and you will get some great responses that will fit your particular needs from other members.
Old Mar 28, 03, 5:48 pm   #9

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, PC PLT Amb
IMHO, I wouldn't spend HHonors points on a GLON for Orlando. Hotels in Orlando can be had for pennies on the dollar if you book through Priceline or just shop around.
Old Mar 29, 03, 6:29 pm   #10

Going to Disney on the trip, planning two down days, prefer a place with cooking facilities an a heated pool.

[This message has been edited by Wolfie (edited 03-29-2003).]
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 03, 6:01 am   #11
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
I have used a GLON for Disney at the Homewood Suites Lake Buena Vista 3 times in the last few years.

The property is just outside the gate of the "hotel drive" area, very close to the Crossroads shopping center. The rooms are large and all are suites with full kitchens. They serve a full complimentary breakfast.

If you're getting a car, it's the best of all worlds IMHO.

E-mail if you want other tricks and tips.

all rights reserved
NJDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 03, 6:11 am   #12

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Plat Marriott
I was thinking the SAME exact thing that onedog said...I wouldn't use a precious GLOB for Orlando! You can get five star resorts for $55 a night! My most recent priceline was 5 days in Hollywood Florida at the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa for $55 a night. There are plenty of Orlando properties as well. Use it someone special or unique...or at least somewhere that you can't get an incredible deal on hotwire or priceline!!!!

Dawn
kymbakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 03, 6:28 am   #13

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, Bmi Blue, HH Silver,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Wolfie,

I agree with the other posters, I would not use a GLON at many hotels in Orlando and not at the Homewood Suites on I Drive ( I would consider it at the Hilton WDW as it is a very good hotel especially at $99 per night-currently $107 for Easter-still very good) but I would check the prices at the hotels directly.

I stayed at the Homewood Suites on I Drive 5-7th March while it is a good hotel with suites( good quality, quiet and clean), and good staff service, there is no on site hotel restaurant in the evening.
The breakfast buffet is good and the evening reception is good.
THe hotel pool is between the building so you will only get direct sunshine for a few hours a day ( say 11am to 2pm- more if you are willing to shift the chairs round the side of the pool.)
Location is good but the rooms facing Idrive have an emppty site to the left of the hotel betwee you and wonderworks and the hotel is around 200 yards off I drive.

Regards
TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 03-30-2003).]