Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Eugene {US-OR} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Eugene {US-OR} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:13 pm

Hilton in Eugene Oregon

Which hotel in Eugene Oregon is the best one to stay for a football game,the Hilton or maybe the Valley River Inn...Since I'm a diamond honors member I would like to stay at the Hilton..I have heard both pro's and con's about both hotels ...Thanks for any help!!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Eugene, OR Hilton - no Saturday night only award nights?

I'm looking to book a room, almost 10 1/2 months out, for one night at the Hilton in Eugene, Oregon. I have stayed there before, and well nothing really special, it is a decent hotel in the right area for that night.

The problem is that the HH site shows no availability for a one night (Saturday night ) stay - if I booked two nights, there would be no problem. It appears to the same if paying by cash - they don't seem to want Saturday night only stay.

I can stay at the Hampton in town for the same points, but prefer the Hilton for location. Any suggestions - call or email the hotel or try to work through Hilton Honors? Or just book the Hampton?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
10 1/2 months away? That may be a football Saturday with minimum stay requirements.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree sounds like a sporting event or concert weekend. I suggest call the hotel directly to get factual info and/or book a room.

MisterNice
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Exec lounge closed

Sadly, I received notice from the GM that the Exec lounge is closed due to cutbacks. Another full service Hilton without an exec lounge. I will report back next week what the Diamond amenity is as I am already staying on a rate that includes breakfast.

Last edited by soonerfanatic; Jan 22, 2010 at 6:22 am Reason: add
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Can anyone verify if the exec. lounge is now closed. Also, is the train noise I've read about a big issue. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeeves
Can anyone verify if the exec. lounge is now closed. Also, is the train noise I've read about a big issue. Thanks.
Yes, it definitely is closed, permanently. No more exec club rooms.

I have 17 stays (yes, stays. not nights) this year already. This place has gone downhill in a big way....restaurant is closed most nights, breakfast used to be good and now rates below Denny's.

And I will confirm that if your rate includes breakfast and you are a Diamond member, don't count on any additional amenity.......

The hotel does have a nice amenity if your company was in the top 5 for volume last month, so I can't complain about the additional amenity.

Rooms include a set of earplugs. Hope that answers your question. If you are a light sleeper, don't stay here.

The only reason I stay here is the continued great service and decent bed to sleep in.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone stayed here recently? Is the lounge still closed? If the hotel has remained donwhill as soonerfanatic comments- is there somewhere better to stay in Eugene? Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
The Residence Inn is much nicer and quieter. They added a new wing in the last year, so at least some of the rooms are updated. McMeniman's North Bank is right across the street and there is a great park with river access just across the way.

T
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatia
The Residence Inn is much nicer and quieter. They added a new wing in the last year, so at least some of the rooms are updated. McMeniman's North Bank is right across the street and there is a great park with river access just across the way.

T
Thanks! RI it is- I am Marriott Gold also so maybe (doubtful) that is worth something.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Resurrecting for recent experiences

So ... like ... I found I needed a few more segments to maintain AS status next year, adding in the current Hilton Q4 promo, I decided upon two weekends SEA - PDX - EUG r/t, overnighting at the Hilton Eugene, as they have airport shuttle service, and great MVP rates.

First stay experience:

Called from airport, put on hold for quite a while, then told the shuttle'd be there in 15 minutes or so, which it was. Given breakfast coupon at check-in; no mention of an upgrade, and I didn't ask, so got the King standard I'd booked, which was fine; two bottles of water in room with $2.00 price tags, including small print that they were free to elites. Breakfast was either All-American from the menu, or full (hot) buffet, so I chose the latter. Darned good cheese omlette, along with sausage, bacon and pastries, coffee and juice. I had put myself on the 11:00 shuttle list before dining. However, when I asked at 11:10 was told "another guest showed up, who wasn't listed, and the driver left with him, assuming he was the one who'd been booked." (I had been waiting by the door for quite a while, and still don't understand.) They called a taxi at their expense to resolve the issue.

Second visit:

The PDX - EUG flight was an hour late for a mechanical issue, so we didn't get in until after 10 PM. I called, and the shuttle appeared about 20 minutes later. At check-in, the clerk informed me that I'd been upgraded to a Junior Suite (before I could ask). I asked him to add my name to the 11AM shuttle, which he wrote on a separate piece of paper, promising to do so.

The junior suite was nice, although the "living room" configuration was lost on me. On the nightstand were a pair of earplugs and a note explaining that some guests are bothered by the railroad noises. It was loud around midnight, but I like trains. Breakfast was about the same, although the dining room was a bit more crowded. I checked with the front desk to be sure I was on the list, which I was. The clerk, I believe, pointed me out to the driver, "Do not leave without him!" as she was the one who'd authorized the taxi earlier. He did mention that the shuttle ends at 11PM until 4:15 AM, contrary to the airport listing's "24 hours" info.

I did not use the fitness center, nor in-room wireless. The second stay I did stop by the business center, where only one of the computers was working (free internet access, unlike many Hiltons). A fellow came in right behind me, visably disappointed that he'd missed out on the working one. I checked a couple of email accounts, and went to access a page that refused to load. I was just giving up on it when the guy returned, asking if I were nearly done. I replied I was trying to clear a frozen page, at which point he paced back and forth behind me, while saying "no hurry, no hurry"; not wanting to experience any more of his passive-aggressive behavior, I managed to clear the browser, and fled, with him saying oh-so-solicitously, "Are you sure you're done?"
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Any recent stays or info? My wife and I stayed here 4 years ago for part of our honeymoon. Loved the location, walking along Broadway, over to Alton Baker park, etc. We're heading back there in late May/Early June for the Prefontaine Classic.

I see since we've been an HGI has opened up not too far away, but far enough that we would need to drive to see many of the things we want to see. Has the Hilton recovered or is it wise to look at the HGI? We're gold so I know we're leaving free breakfast on the table. Appreciate any thoughts.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I just had back-to-back stays at both the HGI and Hilton.

HGI upgraded me to a "spa" room, which meant a jacuzzi in a corner of the living room (bathroom was shower-only). Staff were fine, as was breakfast. Their local shuttle dropped me in downtown Eugene after checkout.

Hilton staff are great, but this stay wasn't all that terrific. Upgraded at check-in to a huge suite, which was a nice gesture in their part, but the living room was wasted on me; strange situation in the bedroom where the air vent was directed away from the beds towards the side of the room, so that part of the room was warm, while the sleeping spot itself wasn't. I had dinner at their bar, which was tiny and a rather hectic space as there were folks from holiday parties standing around ordering drinks much of the time.

Around 11PM, I noticed that my earbuds were picking up some sort of background noise - the club directly across the street was in full swing - ugh! Packed up my stuff, and was switched to a two-queen on the other side of the building, where the rooms come equipped with a pair of disposable earplugs because of the occasional train whistles; I heard one whistle before falling asleep, which didn't seem so bad, so no problem.

Breakfast a plus here -- while many Hiltons are cutting back, crying, "We have to because Hilton corporate says so!" this one gives a complete buffet, including cooked-to-order eggs, and lox(!) for one's bagel.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:12 pm

Any current/additional thoughts on HGI vs. Hampton vs. Hilton Eugene? One drawback to the Hilton is that they apparently charge for parking (non-reimbursable business expense for me).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Parking is indeed paid, but depending on the weather, covered parking in the building is a welcomed luxury. For me, the noise - trains or club - would be a much bigger factor than paid parking. I picked the hotel for location (not a disappointment) and the airport shuttle. I can echo the oddly-shaped suite upgrade and good breakfast remarks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.