Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points & Elite Benefits When Booking Through Third-Party?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Points & Elite Benefits When Booking Through Third-Party?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I think that a warning to watch your point totals is on target. If reports are correct that Hilton HHonors is doing a "sweep" to search and destroy points from 3rd party-booked stays, then I would not be surprised if some people magically lose points due to nothing more than the plan code recorded on your stay in HHonors system being incorrect due to a clerical error or something of the sort or a retroactive application of policy that was not applied before.
Check out your HHonors account hotel stay details to make sure the Plan Code is not 0N, which is what I believe to be the Plan Code applicable to Priceline.

Are there any other Plan Codes that we should watch out for to make sure we are not going to be hit by this burn bridges approach by Hilton HHonors?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Angry

I recently booked a last-minute room at the Hilton Millenium in NY for one-night at a rate of $390 on Hotels.com. The hotel was known at the time of the booking. I would have booked thru Hilton, but both the Hilton website and the reservation phone line showed no availability.

I was told, after presenting my HHonors card on check-in, that I would not receive any stay credit but I would receive points on any incidentals. Accordingly, I ran up a decent room tab both out of convenience and for the HHonors points. My HHonors number was entered and appeared on the folio when I checked out. Two weeks later, however, no points have posted. Was I informed incorrectly?

On a related note, I was denied any Gold benefits (I requested breakfast coupons) because I was on a third-party stay. I asked to speak to the front desk manager who also denied me any benefits. Yet, I feel fairly certain (especially after reading the HHonors guide) that I should receive benefits as long as the hotel was known at the time of the booking (not Priceline). Am I correct in this interpretation?

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I think your interpretation is correct - elite perks but no points is what I've understood for third party web bookings.

We should use precise terms - I think that the points ban is on third party web bookings, but if you go to your local brick-and-mortar travel agent and they book a room using sabre or whatever computer they sell travel through you should get points. Same as for business bookings made through the travel department at work.

From the HHonors Terms and Conditions:
Stays that are booked via third party websites other than the websites of Hilton HHonors airline partners are not Eligible Stays irrespective of rate paid, for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status. Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase are not Eligible Stays for the purpose of earning points, miles or stay credit toward VIP tier status, or the receipt of VIP tier benefits such as upgraded accommodations / amenities or access to health clubs.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdhenry
I think your interpretation is correct - elite perks but no points is what I've understood for third party web bookings.

We should use precise terms - I think that the points ban is on third party web bookings, but if you go to your local brick-and-mortar travel agent and they book a room using sabre or whatever computer they sell travel through you should get points. Same as for business bookings made through the travel department at work.

I thought you got no status perks, as well, on PLN and other types of reservations? Is this assumption of mine correct -- are they required to provide breakfast coupons for Gold members on PLN stays?

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
This is the response I received on June 7 from hilton@flyertalk:

Dear Steph58,

Thank you for your inquiry. Per HHonors Terms and Conditions, third party bookings, including incidentals are ineligible for HHonors points. While we value your patronage of our hotels and restaurants within our hotels, the premise of the decision not to provide points for room rate or incidentals for third party bookings is simply a business one. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kindest Regards,
XXXXXX

GUWonder: Thanks for the heads-up but I'm not sure what we can do about the Plan Code. For 3 PL stays this year I see 3 different codes: CT1, CT2, OL. I actually don't have that many Hilton PL stays, so if they want to do a sweep they won't find that many ill-gotten points. Any points that are in my account from a third party stay, got there because a Hilton rep put them in--I certainly didn't do it! That's what annoyed me the most, they vacillate on every stay as to whether or not they'll give me the points. Now I have a definitive answer. Now I won't spend any money on Hilton services.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:29 am
Suspended

Boy, that's cold.

I would say that one has a very good argument that notwithstanding their rules -- that one may have been unaware of -- their awarding you points on incidentals indicated their agreement to a departure from their rules and that you detrimentally relied on same to book more stay via a 3rd party site -- with the understanding that they would continue to award you points on your incidentals. Essentially, they agreed to a modification of a contract = HHonors Rules, and you relied on that representation -- as signified by the increasing HHonors point totals that were recorded in your account through their awarding you point on the incidentals.

I have no dog in this fight, but I would contact them on fairness issues, and if that does not work, inform them that you are going to contest the incidental charges because of their unilaterally ripping up a modified contract that you both agreed to follow, as typified by your respective actions with reagard to 3rd party booking stays. That may get their attention. If that does not, I suggest you go to the media asa there must be loads of people similarly situated as you are.

Yet another stellar example of Hilton's exceptional Customer Service!

Good luck!
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Boy, that's cold.

I would say that one has a very good argument that notwithstanding their rules -- that one may have been unaware of -- their awarding you points on incidentals indicated their agreement to a departure from their rules and that you detrimentally relied on same to book more stay via a 3rd party site -- with the understanding that they would continue to award you points on your incidentals. Essentially, they agreed to a modification of a contract = HHonors Rules, and you relied on that representation -- as signified by the increasing HHonors point totals that were recorded in your account through their awarding you point on the incidentals.

I have no dog in this fight, but I would contact them on fairness issues, and if that does not work, inform them that you are going to contest the incidental charges because of their unilaterally ripping up a modified contract that you both agreed to follow, as typified by your respective actions with reagard to 3rd party booking stays. That may get their attention. If that does not, I suggest you go to the media asa there must be loads of people similarly situated as you are.

Yet another stellar example of Hilton's exceptional Customer Service!

Good luck!
A fine example of detrimental reliance. Past custom and customary interpretation of HHonors rules on said matter should have some weight.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:26 pm

Since I've been accused of inaccuracies regarding this alleged "recent" change in HHonors policy, see the following threads among others:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=priceline
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=priceline

While not always enforced (yes,even I still score a free breakfast on occasion), this has been HHonors policy for more than two years.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
What constitutes a third party stay? I understand Priceline and Hotwire not getting benefits/points, but what about people who have to book through the corporate travel agency? I think Hilton would be shooting themselves in the foot to block out the thousands of travelers who must adhere to corporate travel policy.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by omegadeal
What constitutes a third party stay? I understand Priceline and Hotwire not getting benefits/points, but what about people who have to book through the corporate travel agency? I think Hilton would be shooting themselves in the foot to block out the thousands of travelers who must adhere to corporate travel policy.
I've been staying in Hiltons booked through my corporate travel agency (using Sabre I think), and I have been getting points for incidentals.

Chris
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by omegadeal
What constitutes a third party stay?
The official policy stated in the Terms & Conditions makes reference to "Stays that are booked via third party websites other than the websites of Hilton HHonors airline partners" not being good for points, miles or stay credit. Further, "Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase" don't get VIP tier benefits in addition to earning no credit.

For now, I'll believe that the letter sent to Steph58 used the term "third party bookings" imprecisely in reference to third party website bookings that are addressed in the policy.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Ahh... meaning that it is third party websites and travel agencies are still ok.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Upgrade me,

I don't question your accuracy. You are very knowledgable.

I don't like the policy. And the uneven way it has been implemented meant that I never knew about the policy, especially with people on the Diamond Desk saying other things (which made more sense).
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pdhenry
The official policy stated in the Terms & Conditions makes reference to "Stays that are booked via third party websites other than the websites of Hilton HHonors airline partners" not being good for points, miles or stay credit. Further, "Stays booked via "opaque" channels where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase" don't get VIP tier benefits in addition to earning no credit.

For now, I'll believe that the letter sent to Steph58 used the term "third party bookings" imprecisely in reference to third party website bookings that are addressed in the policy.
I'm still shaking my head as to why Hilton even participates with Priceline and the others. If they are making such a tiny margin on the rooms, make every attempt to drive the guests out of the hotel as far as incidentals go, and in general treat these guests like crap, I don't know why they bother.

One would think that people who do leisure travel in high-end hotels also do business travel from time to time as well. At least, statistically-speaking enough of them do that it doesn't make sense for Hilton to dump all over the people who are there on a cheapie rate. Don't give them stay credit, upgrades, and points - fine. But don't go out of your way to find new ways to dump on them either.

We've hashed this over well in other threads, and I've said a couple times that I have no problems with hotels withholding tangible credits/points and tangible benefits (like category-class upgrades and buffet breakfasts) from cheapie leisure-stay guests. But if I pay full-price for a dinner at the restaurant, I should get points. Heck, I could go to the nearest Starwood, eat better food (W's actually have restaurants in them that serve edible food), and earn my hotel points!

And everybody knows that nothing is really that "opague" these days. Whenever I bid Priceline, I know exactly what hotel I'm bidding for - worst case I'm bidding a toss-up between maybe two properties. I can choose Hiltons or avoid them - all based on the star-class and zone...
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:01 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
New Hhonors Policy: No Points For Incidentals When On A Hotwire Stay?

I just spent a weekend a couple of weeks ago at the Atlanta Hilton through Hotwire. IN addition to the room, I purchased Internet Access, Room Service and Parking.

I just got my credit, which was a stay credit and 0 points. When I called Hhonors to clarify, they said that, even though I had purchased incidentals that normally would get credit per dollar, I would get no credit for any of the incidentals purchased (the parking, internet and room service) because it was a Hotwire stay. This is the first time I have heard of any frequent guest program imposing that policy.

Was the Hhonors representative just wrong, or is this a new Hhonors policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.