Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Upgrade to Surpass Honors AmEx: Earn 50,000+ bonus points

Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Before the current offer of automatic Gold w/AF payment, I would drop to no-fee once the bonus point spending was met. In the past, Amex would send targeted upgrade offers to upgrade. I got 2 of them over 5 yrs. The last time 6 months ago, they tried to deny the points by saying I had already received them previously and it was a one time offer for upgrading. However, the offer had no exclusionary language and was not open to the public (came as an offer on my Amex account page w/my name on the offer). I argued that 1) the offer should not have been directed to me if I was not eligible 2) Amex should have had the exclusionary language in the offer. Amex granted me the entire points as a courtesy because they failed to put the exclusionary language in. I'm sure they have corrected their mistake by now.
I had done the upgrade once, and now I got the offer again. Two questions:
1. will Amex deny the offer by saying I can only have one (signup) bonus in the life time for the same card, the rule they implemented a couple years ago?
2. will Amex deny the offer by saying I have earned this upgrade bonus once?

thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Smile Link worked!

Originally Posted by Reid
Could try this link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...dit-card/36205

Worked fine for me to switch from Delta Platinum Amex to the Hilton Surpass card.
Thanks. This link worked like a charm. I have been trying different links over the last year and none worked until this one. Either that or Amex decided I was worthy of an upgrade, finally
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
My card is eligible but I already have a HH Surpass Amex. Will I get the bonus points if I upgrade my no-fee card?

I don't see any wording on the Amex offer page that mentions that. Should I close or downgrade my existing Surpass card before I jump on this offer?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Do NOT upgrade, folks..

I have had the no-fee Hilton card since 2012. In may, after logging into my account online, I received a message saying I've been pre-approved to upgrade to Surpass, and will get 50k hilton points after spending $3k. So I clicked the link, and was told to call instead.

So I called the number, and confirmed the offer with the phone rep and proceeded with the upgrade.

Met the spending requirement, and called a few days later. Was told I would get the 50k in 1-2 billing cycles.

Waited 2 billing cycles, but no points. Called again, a floor manager said she will look into it.

Another month went by, no points. I called again, and was told I never had the offer. When I asked is it just me not getting it, or this offer doesn't exist? The reply was "50k points was never an offer to the upgrade".

Ended up cancelling the card.

So don't trust Amex on this... and their customer service (in India) is very disappointing to say the least... save your self some trouble, and do NOT upgrade on this card..
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by travelsg
Do NOT upgrade, folks..

I have had the no-fee Hilton card since 2012. In may, after logging into my account online, I received a message saying I've been pre-approved to upgrade to Surpass, and will get 50k hilton points after spending $3k. So I clicked the link, and was told to call instead.

So I called the number, and confirmed the offer with the phone rep and proceeded with the upgrade.

Met the spending requirement, and called a few days later. Was told I would get the 50k in 1-2 billing cycles.

Waited 2 billing cycles, but no points. Called again, a floor manager said she will look into it.

Another month went by, no points. I called again, and was told I never had the offer. When I asked is it just me not getting it, or this offer doesn't exist? The reply was "50k points was never an offer to the upgrade".

Ended up cancelling the card.

So don't trust Amex on this... and their customer service (in India) is very disappointing to say the least... save your self some trouble, and do NOT upgrade on this card..
Worked for me - got the 50k last week-points in my Hilton account and show on amex site-posted as soon as I finished spend
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
I had the upgrade offer, too

I was logged into my Amex account. I think it was October. Got the upgrade offer on the Hilton card. they said I could upgrade either my Hilton or my Delta to a Surpass. Didn't make sense to do the Delta, so I upgraded the Hilton.
then, I forgot what the minimum spend was, and chatted with Amex. the guy said I didn't qualify for the offer, but he would check to be sure. Told me to keep checking back. Could be 8 weeks.
When I had time to kill, I called Amex. The guy who answered (perfect English, no accent, BTW) said he could see the offer and that I was definitely signed up for it, and would get the 50k points for spending 3k.
So I have now spent the 3k. Let's hope he was right. Although he seemed a lot more sure about things than the chat people.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
How long do you have to hold the basic Amex HH before the upgrade offer shows up? I have kept the basic Amex HH for at least 1 year and a half, still nothing. I never applied the Surpass one before.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
How long do you have to hold the basic Amex HH before the upgrade offer shows up? I have kept the basic Amex HH for at least 1 year and a half, still nothing. I never applied the Surpass one before.
If you never had a Surpass applying from scratch using a new application will yield a better bonus than upgrading the NAF card.

As far as the upgrade just type SURPASS in the search bar and you may find the offer ids there.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:18 am

Does this still work? If you click on the terms of the offer it states:
"(1) Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:43 am

Yes I am curious as I am just about to finish my $3000 spend... Chatted online, but they said one time only. They are opening an inquiry into it. Doesn't sound good...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
I haven't seen any confirmations here regarding it but would it be possible to apply for the Surpass, cancel the card after a while, and receive a bonus via upgrade? The individual offer for surpass seems better than via upgrade. If I could do both, even better.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I haven't seen any confirmations here regarding it but would it be possible to apply for the Surpass, cancel the card after a while, and receive a bonus via upgrade? The individual offer for surpass seems better than via upgrade. If I could do both, even better.
Hasn't Amex switched to one bonus per person, lifetime? I believe the "new card" and "upgrade" bonuses are considered the same for that purpose.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:22 pm

I pm'ed amex to which they replied only once in a lifetime bonus. I just waited without much hope and lo and behold, I got my 50,000 posted! This is second time upgrade on the same card. This was Feb 12th.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sethb
Hasn't Amex switched to one bonus per person, lifetime? I believe the "new card" and "upgrade" bonuses are considered the same for that purpose.
Just applied for the 'upgrade' will see what happens for me
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
I pm'ed amex to which they replied only once in a lifetime bonus. I just waited without much hope and lo and behold, I got my 50,000 posted! This is second time upgrade on the same card. This was Feb 12th.

When did you first upgrade and when was the downgrade done?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.