Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort {MEX} [leaving Hilton on October 31, 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort {MEX} [leaving Hilton on October 31, 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by zorrobandit
Thanks for your comments. Our plan is to stay Dec 15-18 at this Hilton AI to just relax, and then switch to either the Marriott or Westin for Dec 18-22 and go non-AI for the rest of the stay. We do want to get out and experience PV culture and all the restaurants. Also I plan to schedule our excursions (Las Caletas, Sierra Madre South, and Rhythms of the Nite) during the last 4 nts, so we won't feel we are missing out on the meals included in the AI the 1st 3 nts.

Question 1: You mentioned the beach is nice near the Hilton, is it much better than the beach in the Marina district by the Marriott or Westin? That would be a positive because I heard the Marina district beaches are not that great.

Question 2: Are the excursions I mentioned (through Vallarta Adventures) worth it, or just tourist traps?

Question 3: For the non-AI portion of our stay, would you recommend the Marriott or Westin? Marriott is more highly ranked in TripAdvisor, but the Westin is about $30/nt cheaper with the promotions going on right now.

Thanks in advance!

1 - Yes the beach is nicer and extends further either direction for walking. South you can walk as far as Rio Pitillal; if the river is low you can cross it and keep walking probably another half mile or so. If you can cross it; make stop @ first place on left; a great "shrimp shack" Oasis Holi with incredible food/cold beer/cheap prices.

2 - I don't know Sierra Madre tour. Las Caletas very nice, you'll have a nice boatride and chances are you'll see the Humpback Whales as they return by the time of your stay. Rhythms of the Night I hear (never done it myself) 80-20 positive. Vallarta Adventures very reputable and you won't get hoodwinked into a timeshare presentation like the "discount" guys can get you.

3 - I've been to Marriott only for fund raisers; the grounds are nice and pool area gorgeous. Have had friends who stayed there using points and they really liked the rooms and service. Meals etc expensive. I've never been to Westin. You are very close (walking distance) to a Soriana - like USA Albertsons or Krogers - I'd stock up there for beverages/sandwich stuff, even if you have to buy a cooler.

Marina area has several very good restaurants - most very reasonable in price. Once again I'd pose the question on Trip Advisor PV forum.

When at Hilton hop on the bus going south marked Centro - 6.5 pesos about $ .50 - and get off at start of Malecon (boardwalk) and enjoy the culture. Especially recommended on a Sunday night with locals in their Sunday best and lots of festivities in the square. Take the back to Hilton - with bus going north marked Aeropuerto. A cab ride into town should be about 80 pesos; same for return if you want door to door.

There are also Marina busses that take you into town; I think they run about every 20-30 minutes or so. Whatever hotel you pick can give you that info.

Enjoy Vallarta!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
I really like the Marriott, as I have stayed there several times. Ive been to the Westin, just never stayed ther.
Really like the pool and the setup at the Marriott. Be ready for 25 dollar breakfast buffet ect. Drinks are well into US reesort prices, so any savings from not being AI are eaten away quickly. I always go to the Brazillian steakhouse, it is very well priced for the unlimited meat offerings.....

I often find it cheaper to buy AI, and then just eat out the dinners or lunches that I want. But that depends on your daytime activity ect.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Bumping this topic. Still looking for a trip report. Anyone stay here?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:04 am

Any Gold/Diamonds stay here

Bumping again. Looking for a trip report from someone who has stayed on an award stay or someone who has Gold/Diamond status. Any upgrades to suite given?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:27 am

Trip Advisor now has some reviews. Google Trip Advisor Hilton Puerto Vallarta. Appears there was a partial opening end of October, the Nov 2 opening info I got was wrong.

Enjoy Vallarta!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:50 pm

Gold/Diamond VIP reviews

Thanks, comfortablynumb. I have been looking at TripAdvisor. Just hoping someone with God/Diamond Status can comment on what benefits they received. For example, can I book the cheapest room (resort view) and count on an upgrade to an ocean view or a junior suite?

Regards!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:03 pm

It looks like it is 60,000 points per night no matter how many nights you stay or what your status is?

Is everyone seeing that also?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:19 pm

Yes, all inclusive is 60,000 pts per night

Yes, it has a special redemption rate of 60,000 pts per stay. No VIP or AXON discounts. I'm debating myself whether to use points or pay cash. For the dates I am going, a rate of $239/nt is available for the ocean view. You can also book the ocean view for 60,000 pts.

I am trying find out if they offer upgrades and other benefits to gold/diamonds.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:32 pm

How was your stay?

Trip report/review, please !

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:11 pm

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Trip Report 12/15 - 12/22, 2012

This is my first hotel review I’ve posted to Flyer Talk, and I have lurked on FT for years. Why am I posting? Because my wife and I had an amazing outstanding time at this hotel, and I felt so well treated there that I am compelled to write about it. We were made to feel like the hotel staff was part of our family. No hotel has ever made me feel that strongly before, and I’ve stayed in many.

We stayed December 15 – 22; just before the holiday rush and high season begins. So perhaps the hotel’s resources are more strained during the busy season than the time period we experienced. And yes, this was our first stay at an all-inclusive hotel, and our first resort hotel stay in Mexico. But nevertheless, I think our experience is representative of the quality of the hotel.

Let me get the status related details out of the way. Though I am HHonors Gold, I felt i was treated as well as a Diamond. I booked a simple garden view hotel room taking advantage of great rates under the Hilton Friends and Family promotion that just occurred. As an HHonors Gold, I was upgraded to a junior suite 24 hours before check-in. At Check-in I asked politely and did receive a further upgrade to a 4th floor junior suite that had its own private staircase to a private rooftop terrace with a sitting area and whirlpool tub. I was automatically offered free Wi-Fi internet in the room due to the status. It should be noted that free Wi-Fi is available in the lobby, lounges, and common areas throughout the resort. Also, the front desk automatically offered me a late check-out time till 3 pm due to my Hhonors status, but I didn't need it since my return flight was at 2 pm, and I wanted to leave the hotel by 12 pm (normal check-out time) anyway.

First of all, the most amazing thing about the hotel was the service. Weeks before I arrived, the concierge staff and reservations manager answered my numerous detailed e-mail questions promptly and efficiently. They even went to the trouble of getting digital copies of the restaurant menus to e-mail to me ahead of time so I knew what to expect.

During our stay, the pride, enthusiasm, and energy staff at every level exhibited was amazing. They seemed truly emotionally invested in the hotel. Perhaps because the staff was personally involved in the effort leading up to the hotel’s opening. One of the concierges told me he personally carried mattresses on his shoulders during the preparations for opening. So I suppose the hotel staff feels the hotel is like their own baby, and they are excited and proud of it. It is a testament to the management skills of the general manager and his team; I hope they can keep that spirit alive as time progresses. I know from personal experience it is very difficult to instill and maintain that sense of ownership in one’s employees.

The second most amazing thing was the food. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the specialty restaurants for dinner. We also found the buffet to be quite good for breakfast. We took advantage of the included room service, and found it to be relatively prompt and good. We liked Le Delice (the french restaurant) but preferred La Catarina (the fine dining Mexican restaurant) I was surprised to read a reviewer on Trip Advisor complain that there wasn’t enough “authentically Mexican” food. I then realized that the reviewer thought tacos, fajitas, burritos, enchiladas, or quesadillas are traditional Mexican food. My wife and I visited several off-property restaurants in the city of Puerto Vallarta and also did not see such items on the menus either. There is a good reason for this. NEWSFLASH: There is a big difference between Tex-Mex food and authentic Mexican cuisine. A few conversations with the waiters and a few Mexican guests at the hotel confirmed this. First of all, tacos are considered street food, and are not normally served in fine dining establishments. The dishes served at La Catrina were gourmet interpretations of authentic dishes from Jalisco, Michoacan, Oaxaca, and other regions in Mexico. The other items many Americans think are Mexican food are actually Tex-Mex and are only popular in Southwest United States and maybe perhaps some of the northern Mexican states that border the US. And yes the cuisine from central/southern Mexico is not as fiery hot as Tex-Mex, but is very wonderful. So I suppose those expecting Tex-Mex food will be disappointed; they would be better off planning a vacation to Texas. But those looking for gourmet interpretations of dishes from central/southern Mexico will be pleased.

Also, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Fogo, the Brazilian steakhouse. Some Trip Advisor reviewers have criticized it; while it may not match the culinary experience of the best Brazilian steakhouses of the world, you cannot beat the setting. You are seated on an outdoor patio right on the beach surrounded by tiki torches. You hear the sound of the waves crashing as you are served delectable cuts of meat. The food and beverage manager went out of his way to have the shrimp specially prepared for us (without the bacon wrapping since we don’t eat pork) and it was amazing and our favorite. Our reservation time was after dark, but I would recommend getting a reservation just before sunset. I imagine dining right on the beach at sunset would be amazing.

The third most favorite thing was the adults-only pool and sky bar on the fourth floor of the north building (called O’West). I loved coming here at sunset to enjoy the beautiful view and peace and quiet. The staff here was always very friendly and eager to offer you a drink while you enjoy the view or take a few laps in the quiet, tranquil (no-kids) pool.

Finally, this resort is new. The décor is ultramodern with clean lines, cool color tones, and a minimalist look. My wife loved it, and so did I. But those looking for a traditional Mexican look may be disappointed.

I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone planning a stay in Puerto Vallarta. In fact, I predict that this hotel will become so popular that it will be impossible to find a room, or the demand will drive pricing to a point that I will no longer be able to afford it! Feel free to post or message me if you have any questions about this hotel.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:20 pm

Great trip report. Since you are taking questions:
1 how was the transportation to the hotel?
2 did you notice if the hotel is wheelchair accessible?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by zorrobandit
This is my first hotel review I’ve posted to Flyer Talk, and I have lurked on FT for years. Why am I posting? Because my wife and I had an amazing outstanding time at this hotel, and I felt so well treated there that I am compelled to write about it. We were made to feel like the hotel staff was part of our family. No hotel has ever made me feel that strongly before, and I’ve stayed in many.

We stayed December 15 – 22; just before the holiday rush and high season begins. So perhaps the hotel’s resources are more strained during the busy season than the time period we experienced. And yes, this was our first stay at an all-inclusive hotel, and our first resort hotel stay in Mexico. But nevertheless, I think our experience is representative of the quality of the hotel.

Let me get the status related details out of the way. Though I am HHonors Gold, I felt i was treated as well as a Diamond. I booked a simple garden view hotel room taking advantage of great rates under the Hilton Friends and Family promotion that just occurred. As an HHonors Gold, I was upgraded to a junior suite 24 hours before check-in. At Check-in I asked politely and did receive a further upgrade to a 4th floor junior suite that had its own private staircase to a private rooftop terrace with a sitting area and whirlpool tub. I was automatically offered free Wi-Fi internet in the room due to the status. It should be noted that free Wi-Fi is available in the lobby, lounges, and common areas throughout the resort. Also, the front desk automatically offered me a late check-out time till 3 pm due to my Hhonors status, but I didn't need it since my return flight was at 2 pm, and I wanted to leave the hotel by 12 pm (normal check-out time) anyway.

First of all, the most amazing thing about the hotel was the service. Weeks before I arrived, the concierge staff and reservations manager answered my numerous detailed e-mail questions promptly and efficiently. They even went to the trouble of getting digital copies of the restaurant menus to e-mail to me ahead of time so I knew what to expect.

During our stay, the pride, enthusiasm, and energy staff at every level exhibited was amazing. They seemed truly emotionally invested in the hotel. Perhaps because the staff was personally involved in the effort leading up to the hotel’s opening. One of the concierges told me he personally carried mattresses on his shoulders during the preparations for opening. So I suppose the hotel staff feels the hotel is like their own baby, and they are excited and proud of it. It is a testament to the management skills of the general manager and his team; I hope they can keep that spirit alive as time progresses. I know from personal experience it is very difficult to instill and maintain that sense of ownership in one’s employees.

The second most amazing thing was the food. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the specialty restaurants for dinner. We also found the buffet to be quite good for breakfast. We took advantage of the included room service, and found it to be relatively prompt and good. We liked Le Delice (the french restaurant) but preferred La Catarina (the fine dining Mexican restaurant) I was surprised to read a reviewer on Trip Advisor complain that there wasn’t enough “authentically Mexican” food. I then realized that the reviewer thought tacos, fajitas, burritos, enchiladas, or quesadillas are traditional Mexican food. My wife and I visited several off-property restaurants in the city of Puerto Vallarta and also did not see such items on the menus either. There is a good reason for this. NEWSFLASH: There is a big difference between Tex-Mex food and authentic Mexican cuisine. A few conversations with the waiters and a few Mexican guests at the hotel confirmed this. First of all, tacos are considered street food, and are not normally served in fine dining establishments. The dishes served at La Catrina were gourmet interpretations of authentic dishes from Jalisco, Michoacan, Oaxaca, and other regions in Mexico. The other items many Americans think are Mexican food are actually Tex-Mex and are only popular in Southwest United States and maybe perhaps some of the northern Mexican states that border the US. And yes the cuisine from central/southern Mexico is not as fiery hot as Tex-Mex, but is very wonderful. So I suppose those expecting Tex-Mex food will be disappointed; they would be better off planning a vacation to Texas. But those looking for gourmet interpretations of dishes from central/southern Mexico will be pleased.

Also, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Fogo, the Brazilian steakhouse. Some Trip Advisor reviewers have criticized it; while it may not match the culinary experience of the best Brazilian steakhouses of the world, you cannot beat the setting. You are seated on an outdoor patio right on the beach surrounded by tiki torches. You hear the sound of the waves crashing as you are served delectable cuts of meat. The food and beverage manager went out of his way to have the shrimp specially prepared for us (without the bacon wrapping since we don’t eat pork) and it was amazing and our favorite. Our reservation time was after dark, but I would recommend getting a reservation just before sunset. I imagine dining right on the beach at sunset would be amazing.

The third most favorite thing was the adults-only pool and sky bar on the fourth floor of the north building (called O’West). I loved coming here at sunset to enjoy the beautiful view and peace and quiet. The staff here was always very friendly and eager to offer you a drink while you enjoy the view or take a few laps in the quiet, tranquil (no-kids) pool.

Finally, this resort is new. The décor is ultramodern with clean lines, cool color tones, and a minimalist look. My wife loved it, and so did I. But those looking for a traditional Mexican look may be disappointed.

I would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone planning a stay in Puerto Vallarta. In fact, I predict that this hotel will become so popular that it will be impossible to find a room, or the demand will drive pricing to a point that I will no longer be able to afford it! Feel free to post or message me if you have any questions about this hotel.
Sounds like a spectacular property/time; always great to read positive reviews here.

Silly question, but did you take the time to write a formal letter to the GM detailing the staff's above and beyond service? I make it a point to write the GM a letter whenever I have a good stay. I figure they must get more complaint letters than Thank You ones. ^
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:39 pm

Transportation and Wheel Chair Accessibility

Originally Posted by Tttony
Great trip report. Since you are taking questions:
1 how was the transportation to the hotel?
2 did you notice if the hotel is wheelchair accessible?
1) After clearing customs at PVR and plowing through the "timeshare tank" I bought a ticket for a federal "taxi autorizado" at the booths outside. The fare is $195 pesos for 1-3 people. A taxi was waiting and it was a short 10 minute drive with a very nice taxi driver. For the return, the hotel staff hailed a city taxi and the return fare was $80 pesos. There are numerous threads on Trip Advisor that explain the ins and outs of PVR, the timeshare tank, and how the taxis work. But feel free to msg me if you have any questions.

You can e-mail the Concierge at [email protected] and arrange for private car service, which starts at $30 USD. I did not think it was worth it, and I made the right decision.

2) I have a physical disability myself, though I am not in a wheelchair. But I did pay attention to accessability issues. I could see that wheelchair ramps were put in many spots, and clearly Hilton focused on this before opening the hotel. The only spot I am unsure about is the seating for Fogo, the Brazilian steakhouse, as there as some steps down to beach level. But the staff is so accomodating that I am sure arrangements can be made. Email the concierge; they will respond promptly.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:43 pm

Already sent the letter

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Sounds like a spectacular property/time; always great to read positive reviews here.

Silly question, but did you take the time to write a formal letter to the GM detailing the staff's above and beyond service? I make it a point to write the GM a letter whenever I have a good stay. I figure they must get more complaint letters than Thank You ones. ^
One step ahead of you. Just sent the e-mail to the GM and copied [email protected]. This is the only time I have ever written a letter to the GM of any hotel, so you can see how positive I feel about this stay.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nice report. ¡Gracias! We may have to give it a try - haven't been in Pto. Vallarta in many years.

(BTW, southern and central Mexican food can be significantly hotter than TexMex... and tacos can be served in better restaurants, with huitclacoche, squash flowers, etc. (but they are never, ever, served in the ubiquitous US "taco shell" - they are served in soft corn tortillas...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.