Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Napa Valley {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Napa Valley {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I always fly into SMF for trips to Napa/Sonoma. The drive is so easy down I-80, and the fares are significantly cheaper in my experience than OAK or SFO. Good rental car situation out of SMF, too.

The ES is actually enough away from the town of Napa that you don't have to worry about navigating the city streets, and it's got great access to Highway 29. To get to Sonoma, you have to cut over to Highway 12, but it's not so bad. How far it is to Sonoma depends on where you want to go: if you want to hit the Russian River Valley, it'll take 60-90 minutes, depending on traffic (a lot of that comes in Santa Rosa). But if you want to hit the town of Sonoma and some of the more southern spots (towns like Kenwood, etc.), it'll only take you 30 minutes or so to get there. It's not bad at all.

I'm heading back out there this summer in June for a GLON2 at the HGI Napa, and I can't wait for it ... it always seems like there's more I want to see every time I go back.

One thing I recommend not missing is the Silverado Trail -- especially on weekends, when Highway 29 will be packed in both directions. It can be much more pleasant during peak times, and there is no shortage of fine wineries, such as Stag's Leap, Pine Ridge, etc. Honestly, though, I don't think you can ever go wrong in wine country.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:32 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
HAVE to mention the Fairfield property is NOWHERE near as nice or in as good a location as the others - it only ocmes up for Sonoma/Napa searches because it is mileage wise close to those areas - think staying at an EWR property when what you really want to do is stay in manhattan and you'll get an idea.

I like the DT over the Santa Rosa Hilton - the SR Hilton is just another city hotel, while the DT has nice grounds and feels more secluded . Staff are also very nice BUT there are a lot of groups bookedin the summer so if you MUST use the pool etc be prepared for lots of teens and families.

Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:21 am

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Great idea going into SMF vs. SFO (though we just had a great stay at the PH SF). Hyatt here is nice & staff are very friendly.

Also, we go into Napa through a different route that you might like if time isn't a real pressing issue (takes about 40 minutes longer). We like to go in via two-lane Hwy 128 that goes past Lake Berryessa & winds through the hills. Drops you above Napa into St. Helena & right near my favorite area, Stag's Leap & one of our favorite wineries, Robert Sinskey.

Stayed at the ES Napa a couple of times this Summer & really enjoyed it. Even with a room facing the higway, there was little noise and staff were great.

We prefer the Napa area because of Stag's Leap wineries & our favorite restaurants in Yountville and St. Helena......

Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Thanx for all the advice everyone, you have been fantastic!

I have cancelled my stay at the E/S for 7/12 -7/18 so it is open to anyone who wants it.

New plans are to arrive Friday evening in SMF and most likely PLN it at the Hyatt. I now have reserved 6 nights at the E/S starting on 7/17 -- which is the date of the penultimate Taste of Sonoma event.

Although the E/S is much farther than the D/T for that event, I would like to only stay 6 nights in the Wine country and then proceed to Lake Tahoe for 2-3 nights.

Can anyone advise of the following --

1). Is it that long of a drive from the E/S Napa or thereabouts to around Santa Rosa, and/or am I just better off staying at the D/T for one night.

I should add that I like to drive and will rent a convertible, but I do hate sitting in traffic. Will take a roundabout way -- even if timewise it turns out the same, just so I don't sit and fume.

2). If I can stay at the E/S for 6 nights and not have to opt for the D/T for that one night, then I will have at least 2 full days in Tahoe, and perhaps 3 days.

I note that the drive into SF is about 3 1/2 hours and I assume that it would be heavier traffic going into the SF area on a Sunday afternoon, than a Monday afternoon --(say flight times of from 12-4 PM) want to avoid a redeyr from either SMF or SFO, and CO has a flight that leaves at 4 PM and arrives in EWR at around 12:30 AM.

Can someone advise whether only 2 or are 3 days preferred for a first timer to see Tahoe and explore the area by car or by foot?

Second, how much time should I actually budget for getting from Tahoe to SFO on the Sunday or Monday afternoon?

Thank you all again for your insights and responses, your input has been most valuable and is most appreciated!!
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJUPINTHEAIR:
1). Is it that long of a drive from the E/S Napa or thereabouts to around Santa Rosa, and/or am I just better off staying at the D/T for one night.</font>
I don't find the drive from Napa (ES area) to Santa Rosa all that bad. It should take about an hour. You can get around Santa Rosa, too, with a good navigator, and the scenary on the drive is great. Santa Rosa is really the only heavy-traffic blip on the map once you're up there in Sonoma. You'll be able to get to everything else easily. Personally, I'd find it more trouble to pack up and switch hotels rather than just drive an extra hour to get up to Sonoma for the day.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Traffic would be HORRENDOUS coming from Tahoe to anyplace south on a Sunday afternoon! And to get to SFO, you will have to go over the Bay Bridge and through San Francisco. Terrible traffic on a Sunday. It can be bad on Monday afternoon as well, at least through Richmond/Berkeley and into and through the City. But at least most of the drive from Tahoe will not be so bad. Even on a weekday, give yourself more than 3.5 hours. Accidents and traffic messes happen.

As to your question about Lake Tahoe, in my opinion 2 days is plenty. The drive around the lake is beautiful, but it doesn't take more than a couple of hours (unless you make lots of stops for photo ops ). Of course, if you enjoy gambling or long hikes, you may want to take 3 days, but honestly, there is not that much to do there.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If you want to stay in Sonoma, I highly recommend the Renaissance property. $85 on priceline. And I got marriott points, too, at least for room service.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We are bouncing like a ping pong ball here, and it's fun.

Fairfield Property - It's a nice enough place, but it's way out there a distance from the valley. Normally not a huge deal, but if you have been hitting tastings all day dot dot dot.

Also, beware, the Fairfield police are quite aggressive, follow every traffic sign or you may end up with a $157 fine (yes, experience speaking here).

There was a thread in the SF forum on which wineries to visit while you are out there, I'm certain everybody here has a different set of favorites, but if you want mine don't hesitate to drop me a note.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Further re the Fairfield HGI....

It's not such a bad location -- I would normally recommend it for someone in transit to somewhere else (it is right next to the freeway, but they put the HHonors folks on the opposite side of the hotel, and it is in a shopping mall, but there are some decent choices for eating a very short walk away). However, it is absolutely not a good place to stay for the wine country. I echo Cordelli's caution that it is a long drive away and not a very good idea after a day of wine tasting. You will also be missing out on the wine country ambiance, which is something special. Further, it is in the opposite direction from Sonoma, thus that much further to drive to/from that area.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Again, many thanks to you all for your comments and insight.

The HGI Fairfield is definitely out, for one.

In my latest itiration of this vacation, I think I will be spending the first 6 days at the E/S.

I had contacted BKnaiz re the HGI and he had an extremely good stay there, but for one, he was upgraded to a suite, somewhat during off season, something that I cannot count on.

Moreover, the point cost last year was 100,00 for the HGI vs. 150,000 for the E/S. However, that has now narrowed to 150,000 vs. 175,000. In addition, FWIW, there is the guaranteed evening reception at the E/S M-Th and there is none at the HGI. Finally, and most improtantly, the HGI was not available for a 6 night stay!

I think I will spend the last 3 days of the vacation in Tahoe at the Hyatt, 7/22-7/25, and I already have blocked those days with my points. I will either FFN them (should Hyatt repeat the FFN promo which is likely and/or PLN them -- if possible -- note to contact Boraxo!)

I have decided upon this not only because of the mountain scenery which I adore, but also because I just learned of the Tahoe Music festival which will have concerts on Thursday and Saturday evenings.

I am a huge fan of "Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers" (yup, that's the name!) and I just learned that she is giving the concert on 7/22.

Many of you in the Bay area may be aware of her as that is her home base, but I was first introduced to her at the Montreal Jazz Fest, as she was one of the free acts that they have during their 10 day festival. Mind you I don't know her, I just meant that I was introduced to her music then!

I will then leave early Sunday morning at around 9 AM which should allow me sufficient time to make it back to SFO for a 4 PM flight.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2004, 12:43 pm

Embassy Suites Napa

Originally Posted by cordelli
I like the hotel because first and foremost, the staff has always been great. Never a hassle, check in takes like 30 seconds, if yo uare on a wine weekend visit the bottle is always waiting in the room, etc.

The honors package is always there, while it's not going to kill anybody if we don't get our fifty eight cents worth of water and the bag of chips, it's good when we do.

Their happy hour is the only one in all the Embassies I've ever stayed at that I enjoy. They pour decent wines, the food is simple, cheese, crackers, fruit, and olives. You can take it outside, sit along the little pond set up they have and share with the birds. It's very relaxing.

I like the location. Most parts of Napa are pretty close to it, and we haven't ventured too far up north in Sonoma that traveling is a real hassle. If we were to stick pins in a map of our favorite wineries, the Embassy would be about in the middle of them all.

The property is pretty with the courtyard. Noise has never ever been a factor, not sure if that is because they are a fairly expensive place, or because it's open and spread out.

Lastly, I really enjoy a suite when we are out there. Relax in one room, sleep in another. We sometimes travel with a good friend, and having a door to close off the bedroom is a real nice feature, some of the other properties out there don't include the door. Stupid thing, doors cost so little and there is already a frame there.

The place is comfortable, you can pop open a bottle you just purchased, relax in your room or at a table outside, and nobody will bother you.
Have been at this place recently.
It's all true:
-Great staff, super friendly!
-Pretty courtyard

I would go back anytime, however:
-Our room was a little worn out, cheap materials etc...
-Our room was a little noisy (street noise)
Old May 22, 2004, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Well, I have finally set my schedule for this trip -- thanks mainly to PLN!!!

Will stay first night at Hyatt SFO and then into San Fran at the Marriott downtown.

On to Sonoma where the first night -- Saturday night only -- will be spent at the D/T Rohnert Park Sonoma on points. Only 25,000 and one can't book a 1 night stay here on PLN during a summer weekend, so not much of a point devaluation, if at all!

Then two glorious nights at the Rennaisance Sonoma in a Cottage Room and then 2 nights at the E/S Napa -- but not on points. Why spend 40,000 points a night when the whole thing including taxes and bidding fee go fora little more than $73.50/night!! Then onto Tahoe for 2 nights at the Hyatt Tahoe and back to San Fran for the last night at the Hyatt Embarcadero -- again on PLN.

Only thing that might change is if I could get the Park Hyatt SF on PLN, then I might forego the D/T Sonoma for that property and of course, a credit towards earning another free stay with Hyatt!

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll post my thoughts after my trip!

NJ

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; May 23, 2004 at 11:38 pm
Old May 22, 2004, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Great rate at the Embassy, we are looking at it for the weekend of the 4th, and it's way over $200 a night again.
Old May 23, 2004, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Great rate at the Embassy, we are looking at it for the weekend of the 4th, and it's way over $200 a night again.
We paid at priceline.com (total!):

-Napa Embassy Suites $141.57 for 2 nights
-Hyatt, SFO $49.24
-Hotel Monaco, SFO, 4* $177.43 for 2 nights - very nice hotel!!
-Hilton Santa Rosa, 56.67 - a dump!

Thanks PRICELINE.COM ^
Old May 23, 2004, 8:20 am
Suspended

USAFAN:

I had wanted to get the Hilton Santa Rosa in the worst way as it was closest to the event we will be attending, but now, I am glad we did not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.