Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:34 am
Commander Catcop

If you can get it, and get it on an award... The Istambul Hilton works. It's near the big soccer stadium and cab service is plentiful. It's a short ride by cab to the major sites.

As a Gold got a nice upgrade to the executive floor. Great, friendly service and a nice restaurant/bar on the top floor. THey also have a good health club and the Turkish Baths downstairs.

A good choice.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Catman I am "double" booked at the Hilton and Hyatt. The Hilton is less. With the higher visa cost to enter Turkey it makes more sense to stay at the Hilton for this MR portion of my RTW. Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2003, 9:58 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Now sitting in ZRH on my way back from IST, stayed 3 nights at the Conrad as part of a group reservation.
Automatically upgraded to a corner executive room with great view, but upon inquiring they provided me with a great 1-bedroom suite with partial Bosphorous view, 1-1/2 bathroom, separate changing room, dining table. Ample room for our pre-dinner burgundy tasting for 10!
Staff do seem reluctant and slightly uninterested, fascilities are nice, restaurants provide standard fare with uninspiring wine lists. Locationwise it wouldn't make a difference vs. the Hilton, I always took a cab.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:33 am

Can anyone provide an update on this choice based on a search so far, views appear quite divided on both properties latest report on the Conrad was from Swanhunter anything new?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are actually three Hilton properties in Istanbul. There was a thred on this subject last month.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:10 am

I'm interested by either the Hilton or the Conrad, not the Park...

And the thread last month wasn't excessively informative http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/008007.html

So any recent or relevant comparisons would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:36 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
IIRC, I think there is an FTer named Rosie who lives in IST and has reported on all these properties. You might run a check (thru the archives) or drop her an e (if you can find here addy) as I cant find her posts at present. Maybe they're in TR's. Humm... An update on all of these properties would be nice.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rozi hasn't posted on FT for quite a long time.

Personally if I were coming to IStanbul, Neither the Conrad nor the Hilton would be in the top part of my list. The top 4 would be (not necessarily in order) The Ciragan Palace (Kempenski), The Four Seasons, The Ritz Carlton or The InterContinental. These are all much better properties.

As far as the Hilton and Conrads go, let me put it this way. I know literally dozend of people that have stayed at these properties over the years. People from different countries, backgrounds, etc. Also living in Istanbul, I have to frequent these properties from time to time for various reasons (Played tennis at the Conrad just the other day as a matter of fact, and was at a wedding last month at the Hilton).

No one particularly likes the Conrad. Most people complain about high prices, mediocre rooms and bad service. Since the Hilton was last renovated, I hear no complaints, and service has never really been a problem from what I've heard.

The Conrad is a newer property, and while both would be classified as near eachother in a geographical sense, they can be 20 minutes apart in "normal" daily IStanbul traffic. The Hilton is much more central anasmuch as it is near Taksim square, and therefore by definition is more easily accessible. While the Conrad is not that far away from things, it is the large Avenue, Barbaros Blvd. that basically screws it up.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:32 pm

I stayed at Conrad about a month ago just because I snatched the stretcher award at pre-inflation price. That aside, I would never consider it for a tourist purposes for the three reasons location, location, location. It is far enough from the center or from any nightlife, so taxi is the only viable mode of transportation, the average trip costs 5-7 US $. Taxis are always available outside. The service is quite lousy for one of the priciest hotels in Istanbul; they didnt even replace the toiletries daily.
Overall, the hotel is quite impressive, upkeep is good, free parking. It must be a prestige location as they had a large energy-related conference with the Turkish prime minister in attendance. I never saw such security even in our paranoid society two guards on every floor, one guard per guest in the lobby, some military and police as far as 200 meters around.
Granted, this hotel is outside of my price range, but Turkey is very cheap country dining in this hotel was pricey even by San Francisco standards, $30+ an entry, $20+ a drink. I guess it has an explanation we spent some time in rooftop bar with a view to Bosphorus, and we observed quite a zoo: turkish rock-star giving an interview and being photographed while grabbing his underage girlfriend; elegant ladies from high society switching between three languages casually, some busy guy on a phone arranging a coupate somewhere in Africa with a Canadian ambassador.
O, free high-speed Internet in every room too bad I didnt carry my laptop.
Then again, hotel must be quite adequate for the business trip.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:12 am

Hfly it turns out the choice has been made for me and it will be a far better option

Thanks for your views Im starting to wonder whether Conrads are of any interest Dublin has lousy service (debatable, as always), Istanbul sounds pretty poor, Brussels is uninspiring at best (but good service there) seems like it leaves Hong-Kong as the jewel in the (very tarnished) crown

[This message has been edited by Canista (edited 07-10-2003).]
Old May 17, 2005, 1:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
Conrad Istanbul vs Hilton Istanbul

Which one is recommended? I've booked several nights at the Conrad for Mr GoodTimes birthday in Dec. I have never stayed at a Conrad so am not sure what to expect (is it comparable to Rome Cavalieri?) but have used the Search and the reviews have not been very good from FTers !

A night at the Conrad is cheaper than at the Hilton but if the Hilton is far better, then I will change the booking.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old May 17, 2005, 6:42 am

Programs: hh diamond;co silver;
We stayed at the Conrad Istanbul two years ago, and could not have been happier. As a gold we had access to the great lounge-superb breakfast (eggs to order), cocktails at night, and snacks at night and during the day. The staff at the Conrad is outstanding and took care of every request with a smile. For the money, it is well worth it. It is a beautiful hotel, rooms were big. It is about 3 blocks to the waterfront. We visited the Hilton which has more shops in it, and a more "resort" feel. However, I thought it was not in as good a location. Be aware, the Conrad did seem to get a lot of convention groups while we were there-it didn't bother us in any way-but some people may not like it. Have fun!
Old May 17, 2005, 8:10 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Another Ft'er and myself stayed there last MAy.

From my trip report

WE order a taxi to take us and the now considerable luggage ( turns out that throwing out the old roller was not going to be an option - so now I was truly traveling like a tourist ) - over to the Conrad. One thing I must comment on taxis were dirt cheap - except for the trip to the airport which came to about 15 USD most cab rides were in the 2-3 dollar range.

We take a beautiful ride along the Bosphorus and finally pull up to the Conrad- to be greeted by metal gates and a taxi checker person who comes out to open the trunk and the look under the cab with a mirror to make sure there are no bombs attached. ( I had never felt unsafe in Istanbul until that very moment ). Upon passing inspection we go into the hotel ( thought airport like secutity that we both set off and get waived on ( and we thought the TSA was bad ) . Check in is not a roaring success - as Hilton Diamonds we both expected upgrades to the executive floor - I am placed on a regular floor with a "view" of a wall instead of the sea view requested and Carol is given a room when she complains on the excecutive floor but the one that is smoking . I go down to tell them my room is not working for a diamond so they move me to the top floor with a sea view that is non smoking. I decide it is finally time to take this laptop that I have been carrying around and use it - the Conrad has what is supposed to be free high speed internet for diamonds . It doesnt work . Carol in the meantime goes to what she thinks is part of exec lounge and orders a Diet Coke - only to get a bill for 9millionlira ( 6 USD) - a quick discussion ascertains that this is the restaurant and the lounge is on the floor I am on - the nice waiter waives the charge. The lounge is worse than any overseas lounge I have been in - no congierce - evening "snacks" are a few cookies and some finger sandwiches - drinks are only complimentary from 5-7pm and you sign for everything, even soda and water - very strange setup. The breakfast appears to be all cold foods - it is not until the second day that we see people eating omelets etc that you can apparently order and they will deliver them at no charge - there is no written explanation of what you are entitled to- a most frustrating event.
Old May 17, 2005, 8:58 am

Conrad

I recommend Conrad. It is on a hill overlooking th Bosphorus. Make sure you ask for a room that has a view of the sea.
Old May 17, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
Thanks for your advice. I saw jan_az's trip report and that has made me wary!

However, if you all think that the location of the Conrad is better, then I shall stay with the res.

Did baysal and Merlot get an upgrade? I was thinking of sending an email a few days in advance of our arrival to request a nice room. What are the chances of them reading it???

Are the sites walkable from the Conrad? Thanks again for all your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.