Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 22, 02, 8:15 am   #1
Original Member

How do I do this with Hilton Honors Points?

I have never used my Hilton points for anything but now want to use them for a one week National Car Rental award? How do I do this? Do I reserve the car first, then call Hilton? Do they just send me a voucher for one free week or what? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
cmwdjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 02, 11:53 am   #2

Programs: a little here, a little there
I would contact the Hilton HHonors Customer Service Centers at (800) 548-8690
Telephone: (Mon.-Fri. 6:30 a.m.-12:00 a.m. CST
Sat.-Sun. 8:30 a.m.-5:00 a.m. CST)

Give them the appropriate award you want to redeem, i.e. "National Car Rental: Free 1-week rental in the mainland U.S.**/ BN12" and they will take it from there.
johnndor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 02, 6:20 am   #3

We used Hilton points for a car rental over the holidays. First I called National got prices and then asked if I could use the Hilton cert for a free week. National gave me the confirmation number and told me to call Hilton for the cert. I called Hilton and ordered the cert. It arrived in the mail within a week. We presented the cert at the rental counter.
Old Jan 23, 02, 7:21 am   #4
Original Member

Thanks for all the help. Just getting the car rental for free on our vacation will help a lot.
cmwdjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 02, 10:04 am   #5

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
cmwdjw: Although I don't know your car-size needs, dates, or location, I will leave this recommendation anyway: have you considered bidding for the car on Priceline?

I'm not ordinarily a PCLN fan myself, but the level of service you will get with a free certificate is similar to what you would get with a PCLN rental. (In other words, you may be required to wait in the "main" line, and you will probably NOT receive a courtesy upgrade past the "standard" car.)

My main beef with car rental awards is that "free" doesn't always equate to 100% free, after taxes and surcharges are loaded in. Different awards exempt you from different taxes (I don't know about HHonors/National).

Check out biddingfortravel.com if you are interested. People post their winning bids there, so you'll get a feel for what might fly and what won't. I see people getting standard cars for $80-100/wk quite often.

If you have a near-unlimited pool of HHonors points (and I know a lot of people do), then you might as well take the free car. But if you would prefer to hoard the points for a more valuable use, maybe you can get yourself a cheap Priceline car instead...

(I'd hate to give away nearly half of an ALON for a $100-150 rental car, considering my limited supply of points.)
rmccamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 02, 11:12 am   #6

I have used this award before. One thing to watch, I reserved a full size car, but, could not get unlimited miles. However, I thought it was still a good deal. Did not go over the mileage limit and even with keeping the car ten days the bill was under $100.
cabolew is offline   Reply With Quote