Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort {US-CA} (formerly Fess Parker)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Santa Barbara Beachfront Resort {US-CA} (formerly Fess Parker)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:06 pm

Stayed there a few weeks ago. The grounds are lovely. The room was a good size, quiet, with a nice view, balcony and sense of place. Breakfast good. But like others have noted, the room smelled musty, a little moldy or even like a pet might have lived there a while. Did not seem refurbished. The halls and stairs definitely were not. Only stayed one night, passing through SB, so it was fine for us.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Had a nice stay here a decade ago, but I'm concerned about returning after seeing reviews on trip adviser (which admittedly are hit or miss; but the pictures of the room conditions are what truly concern me).

Hotel website says "freshly renovated" rooms, but that could be nothing more than new sheets for all I know.

Any recent experiences that folks can share??
I was there a couple of weeks back. Was upgraded to an ocean view room. I don't think the rooms are renovated, but they are roomy, well-appointed, and quiet IMO. I was very pleased with the stay.

On some stays I was upgraded to a room in one of the smaller buildings, but recently they've put me into the main building.

The free breakfast buffet is pretty decent. you can order eggs to order if you like.

David
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:10 pm

I was there this past weekend for a one night stay (3/9/14). We were given a room on the north-west wing inside of the main building. Based on the HHonors markers next to the door, it looked like they were just for Hhonors guests, and they range from full ocean view, to partial to just garden view only. I was not offered any upgrades during check in, just the usual water/cookies and breakfast vouchers.

The room, upon entering, was damp/musty. It seemed like nobody stayed in that room the previous day (or days) and stayed shut the entire time. There was a room being cleaned next door, and that room seemed so much cleaner than ours. We asked to be moved there, but we were told the room was not available. I am not sure why it wouldn't be, if rooms are not assigned until check in, but I didn't bother fighting it. I wanted to enjoy my afternoon/evening, so we left the window open and left for downtown.

The room was a lot better when we came back, but you could tell that the carpet was very dusty from walking around with the sunlight peeking through. But seeing that this was vacation, I left the issue behind and headed to the pool. Pool access was a pretty short short walk from the Hhonors wing (as was beach access through the front of the hotel), and the pool was a good size and heated too. Got a nice break from it before heading back.

Tried ordering a movie once I got back, but the TV didn't work. I called the front desk, and that didn't work either. I walked over to the front desk and said neither TV or phone were working, and they sent up a technician within 15 minutes to fix both. He was able to fix it rather quickly and headed on his way. (This made me really question how well some of these rooms had been maintained).

Anyways...we noticed the newer movies cost about $16. Said screw it and turned back to normal TV, but not before the TV flashed a $5 discount on movie rentals. That was pretty sly, especially if I ordered the movie first. Then I probably would not have been offered that discount. Decided to just leave the TV on until it was time to sleep. But for those of you who want to watch movies, be sure to get the discount by exiting the movie order screen.

Following morning I decided to check out the breakfast buffet. We had our vouchers, so thought might as well take advantage of a free meal. I had mixed reviews about the meal, as the fruit were definitely not fresh, and the bacon had a rubbery texture. The potatoes were good, and I guess the smoked salmon was a nice touch. However, the apple juice kind of killed it at the end. It tasted like syrup in a very bad way. We let the manager know about the few things we didn't like, and offered to comp our meal for free. Although it was an empty gesture considering we had voucher, I decided to let it go and appreciate the gesture since she did not know we had them.

Afterwards, I headed over to the front desk to see if there was any late checkout availability, to which I was told there was none. During this time, I couldn't help but look at the guy being helped next to me by another concierge. He was handed a map of the properties and shown all the common areas as well as locations for ice and refreshments. I didn't recall my concierge going the extra mile for me, and instead just simply asked if I wanted cookies/water. I guess its possible I just had a bad pick during checkin, but at that point, a lot of little things started to add up. So we just decided to pack up and check out afterwards.

We were given our zip check out receipt, which specified the total and notes letting us know that they don't include charges for the day of checkout. We didn't order/buy anything outside of breakfast, which we didnt pay for, so we left on our way soon afterwards. However, upon checking my credit card account this afternoon, there was an extra $20 charge to my credit card. My only guess is that they charged me twice for parking, once for the checkin day, and once for the checkout day. I'm gonna have to call Fess Parker to confirm, but I think this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me at this property.

The hotel is beautiful, and location is great. I really want to root for this place, but given the service, quality of the rooms as well as the overall experience, I feel I may have been better off at a bed and breakfast for the same money. It didn't stop us from enjoying SB, but I think it could've been an even better trip if the Fess Parker lived up to the wonderful first impression you get as you walk into that beautiful lobby. I don't think I will be returning to this hotel the next time I am back in SB.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Bummer about your stay. The musty smell is noted all over Trip Adviser, (but I came here as I tend to trust FT reviews over TA; so thanks for posting). Sounds like pretty consistent small misses that add up to a lackluster property (other than location)...I am definitely going to avoid this property. Thanks again.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Also sorry to read of all the problems. I would still copy your whole review and put it in TripAdvisor, as, while I don't know if their manager reads their reviews, many hotel managers (have people who) do.

A hunch: I'll bet you got a room that hadn't been occupied in many, many nights, one that they only assign when very full. That's been my experience from time to time - though not at this hotel.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Also sorry to read of all the problems. I would still copy your whole review and put it in TripAdvisor, as, while I don't know if their manager reads their reviews, many hotel managers (have people who) do.

A hunch: I'll bet you got a room that hadn't been occupied in many, many nights, one that they only assign when very full. That's been my experience from time to time - though not at this hotel.
I'm pretty sure they gave me a room which hadn't been occupied for more than a day, possibly even a week. I don't think the hotel was full that day given the number of people I saw on the grounds and cars in the parking lot, but I could be wrong. If anything, there were 3 or 4 rooms that were being cleaned in the same hallway that clearly were not occupied. Perhaps it was a timing thing, and I'll learn to check in at later times.

As an update, the extra $27 charge turned out to be some sort of deposit that I paid when booking the hotel. I was told I would be credited this amount back to my credit card within 2 to 3 days. I haven't experience this with other Hiltons, but I'm glad to know I wasn't charged some hidden fee.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:55 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
The family and I just finished a one night reward stay here this past weekend. It was the max 70,000 points per night rate, but worth it to me to save the ~$900 room asking rate!

Overall, it's a nice property, right across the street from the beach. We didn't get to check in until around 8pm, and we received the standard Mountain View king room that was booked (i.e. No elite upgrade). I had actually submitted, for the first time, a buy-up online for a space-available upgrade to a Jr. suite for an extra $69/night, but that was not given. Best I could tell, the place was only ~1/2 max occupancy, given the vast sea of open parking spaces and lack of visible guests around the property the next morning at breakfast, so I'm not sure why the paid upgrade was not granted. I was tired after a long travel day, and didn't want to press the friendly check-in agent in front of my family, so I don't know the whole story. However, the standard room was of good size, so it didn't matter for this brief stay.

Overall, I'd return to the property when in town next, if it's much cheaper than the Four Seasons property in town (usually is), and I get the complimentary restaurant breakfast (not worth the $30/pp after tax & tip, IMHO).

CLG
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
An update. I just did an overnight there. Booked a basic king mountainview and was upgraded to a nice partial ocean view on the top floor with a balcony. Very good Diamond recognition from the front desk. Full hot buffet for breakfast coupons given. Can be substituted for a la carte. Really nice breakfast buffet.

Room was fresh. No real complaints.

If arriving at night the layout can be confusing as the signage is not very visible. Santa Barbara itself is fantastic.

I'll be back.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Stayed there. Thought it was a very nice property. Was upgraded to an oversized room that had a balcony facing the ocean. Though I thought the balcony was a bit odd as it was a common balcony for the adjoining rooms.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Any trip updates recently? I called and they said all of the rooms have been renovated (even the resort views). Wondering if it will be worth the $375 asking price (Resort View), or $513 for the 2-Bedroom Whirlpool suite. [Anyone can chime in if the extra price for the suite will be worth it?]

The Four Seasons unfortunately does not have any availability for double beds, except for the $900 Premier rooms...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Any trip updates recently? I called and they said all of the rooms have been renovated (even the resort views).
They may have meant that none of the rooms have been renovated. I stay at this property frequently, and while the property treats Diamonds very well and the location and views are great, it needs a major refurbishment. It is still very reminiscent of its previous Red Lion flag.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
They may have meant that none of the rooms have been renovated. I stay at this property frequently, and while the property treats Diamonds very well and the location and views are great, it needs a major refurbishment. It is still very reminiscent of its previous Red Lion flag.
So it seems like the following has been renovated in all of the guest rooms since 2014: Source

$3.6 M Project
360 Rooms Renovation (3 Months)

Scope Of Work Included:

Paint, Vinyl and Carpet
Guestrooms
Corridors
Replaced all Hot and Cold Water Plumbing Lines
All New Closet Doors
New Down Lights, Switches and Outlets
So basically new paint and carpet. With that being said, I don't think any of the bathrooms were touched. It looks like maybe the bathrooms in the 2 bedroom whirlpool suite were refurbished potentially?

Would love to hear your tips on what rooms are the best? (eg: Resort view, ocean view, or suite) Also is the property really in that bad of a shape? Paying around $375 just for a resort view 2 Queen Bed room... Debating if I should spend the night in Mandalay Beach (Embassy Suites/Oxnard) instead for cheaper.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:04 pm

I've stayed in many of the suites, including the Presidential and several of those on the third floor of the main building, and haven't seen any bathroom renovations at all. I don't think any of the rooms are worth the quoted rates, but Santa Barbara properties in peak season are quite busy. View rooms are great; just try to avoid rooms on the back side of the property near the train tracks. IME, the ES Mandalay Beach had some of the most indifferent customer service and worst breakfast of any of the numerous ES properties I've visited.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Courtyard in Goleta is running 275+ for the summer. So any decent hotel downtown is gonna run that much. Worth it is hard to say. That's just the market there.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The Courtyard in Goleta is running 275+ for the summer. So any decent hotel downtown is gonna run that much. Worth it is hard to say. That's just the market there.
Good point. I just booked the Fess Parker despite the lack of a real renovation/high prices since it was the only HHonors property in DT SB. From what I understand, as Gold I get tickets for a full American breakfast.

Any suggestions for "must-do's" in the area (walking distance from resort)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.