Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 19, 11, 3:29 pm   #1

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Five Star
London: Waldorf Hilton vs. Tower Bridge

I know there is a thread on all the Hilton properties in London, but its hard to get a focused response when comparing certain hotels as there are multiple conversations occurring at once.

My wife and I are going to London and Paris next May. She has never been to Europe before and I will be booking a 4-night award stay in London. After doing quite a bit of research, I narrowed it down to the Waldorf Hilton (great location, reviews are very good) and the Tower Bridge (location is decent, awesome reviews). I also considered the Hilton Park Lane, but the reviews are so-so.

What do people think would be the best choice between these two? They both have lounge access, fairly modern rooms. I do like the location of the Waldorf a bit better, but just want to get opinions from people who have actually been to the hotels.
lucjos0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 11, 10:16 pm   #2

Have had 2 week long stays on points at waldorf. In my opinion, can't be beat. Walking distance to opera and dozen of theaters.
Buses close at hand to anywhere you care to go.
Walk to national theater and flet street
executive lounge terrific- try the high tea at 4. Love that clotted cream and scones.
We look forward to returning for a week next spring.
jfadds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 11, 11:22 pm   #3

For your wife, who will be visiting London for the first time, it has to be the Waldorf with it being located on the edge of theatreland and Covent Garden.

This comes from someone who regards the London Bridge Hilton as the best in London. The Hotel have very much a boutique feel about with ultra modern rooms and a team of staff who really do go out of thier way to please.

However, its location does put is at a disadvantage as it is a trek to get to the main shopping areas, wheras the Waldorf is much closer (and walkable!!)

buns
Buns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 9:00 am   #4

Programs: HH Diamond & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
First time visit go for the Waldorf. Much as I prefer the Tower Bridge, the Waldorf has the advantage of stepping out of the door and being in the theatre district & not far from the main tourist sites.

Perhaps try Tower Bridge on another visit, the hotel is great & it isn't that difficult to get anywhere from.
Cavman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 9:08 am   #5

Can you possibly extend your stay in London to five days?

I recently (mid-July) took the chunnel from Paris to London. I spent the first night at the London Tower Bridge. There was lots to explore in the neighborhood the first afternoon - Borough Street Market, Southwark Cathedral, the Globe Theatre, Millennium Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral, etc.

Then the next morning, I headed to the Tower. From the hotel, it was a short walk and I arrived well before the crowds. I had several hours to explore the Tower before the 2:00 checkout that the hotel gave me.

After checkout, I took a taxi to the Hilton Waldorf for four nights. The location was perfect for theaters. The Open Tour bus stop is just half a block from the hotel entrance. We took the tour bus back to the Tower for the free boat cruise to Greenwich and back. In fact, I ended up going back to the Tower Bridge area for another half day to explore the area more.

I understand that AXON is a great value, but if you can tack on an extra day on a weekend, the Hilton London Tower Bridge paid rate is quite reasonable. In fact, next time, I may do two nights at the Tower Bridge and four at the Waldorf.

In terms of room, breakfast, lounge, etc., both hotels allow you to eat in the restaurant if you prefer a fuller breakfast. I slightly prefer the Waldorf breakfast. In addition to the buffet, I could order smoked haddock and kippers (things that I wanted to try). The Waldorf lounge evening offerings were also a bit better.

I got a King Exec room at the Waldorf and one of the bigger rooms at the Tower Bridge. I've heard that rooms at both hotels vary quite a bit, so make sure you ask for one of the bigger rooms. Service was excellent at both hotels.
bamboola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 4:57 pm   #6

Love Hilton Tower Bridge

Have not stayed at the Waldorf -- but was recently at Tower Bridge last April.. Waldorfs are the best but sometimes even at Diamond you do not get the "perks" that you think you will get...

We stayed at the Tower Bridge for 3 nights and it was the best -- their lounge is great for both breakfast, snacks, and evening appetizers, plus any drink that you want...

Yes, it is not downtown like the Waldorf, but once you learned the underground, its not that far, plus you are really close to London Tower.. and lots of nice little pubs/restaurants right on the river are in walking distance..

Really depends what you plan to do while you are there...
bruceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:27 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP and 5 MM, BA Gold, PC Ambassador, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceman View Post
Waldorfs are the best but sometimes even at Diamond you do not get the "perks" that you think you will get...
I suspect you are referring to Waldorf Astoria properties, which the London Waldorf Hilton is not- it is just a Hilton. Kinda confusing I agree.
pauleeepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 11, 1:59 pm   #8

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Platinum Premier, Priority Club Gold
I've stayed in both and spend quite a lot of time in London. As you're unlikely to spending a huge amount of time in your room, I would go for the Waldorf Hilton. It's about 5mins walk from Covent Garden, from which it is about 5 mins to Leicester Square and Soho. So location is superb. We stayed in one of the modern rooms, I think next time I'd stay in one of the older style rooms.
Lounge is small, but nice.

Tower Hill is quite a way out and although there are a few attractions up there, just use the tube to travel up there.

T
toothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 11, 6:42 pm   #9

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, BA blue
This weekend I stayed at Hilton Tower Bridge and it wiil be my favorite Hotel in London. Room, bathroom, service, breakfast and lounge everything was ok.
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 11, 3:45 am   #10

Going there in a few days and looking for best route. I have besides a cab, 2 different directions. One is on the Heathrow Express, and the other the Picadilly line into the tube.

It says the route with the Heathrow Express is faster and more comfortable. Any one traveled either of these ways and could chime in? I don't mind paying a few more pounds for a faster trip, but had initially been told to go the Picadilly route. Thanks.
Meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 11, 4:49 pm   #11

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter View Post
Going there in a few days and looking for best route. I have besides a cab, 2 different directions. One is on the Heathrow Express, and the other the Picadilly line into the tube.

It says the route with the Heathrow Express is faster and more comfortable. Any one traveled either of these ways and could chime in? I don't mind paying a few more pounds for a faster trip, but had initially been told to go the Picadilly route. Thanks.
The Heathrow Express is faster and much more comfortable, 15 min from LHR to Paddington. However, you will still have to take a cab or the Tube to your final hotel. So add on another 10-15 min (Tube) for the Waldorf. Cab time would depend on time of day but it would drop you directly at the hotel. The regular Tube takes about 40 minutes to get to Covent Garden and runs more frequently than the Heathrow Express. You would walk about 5 min to get to the hotel.

So all-in-all, not a big difference in time. I prefer to save my money and take the Piccadilly line (direct from LHR). The Tube is comfortable enough and since you are at the terminus/origin, you almost always get a seat and a place for your luggage.
travelinfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 11, 9:57 pm   #12

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
The Heathrow Express is faster and much more comfortable, 15 min from LHR to Paddington. However, you will still have to take a cab or the Tube to your final hotel. So add on another 10-15 min (Tube) for the Waldorf. Cab time would depend on time of day but it would drop you directly at the hotel. The regular Tube takes about 40 minutes to get to Covent Garden and runs more frequently than the Heathrow Express. You would walk about 5 min to get to the hotel.

So all-in-all, not a big difference in time. I prefer to save my money and take the Piccadilly line (direct from LHR). The Tube is comfortable enough and since you are at the terminus/origin, you almost always get a seat and a place for your luggage.
+1 if you do not travel with a lot of luggage. Also the 5/7' walk from Covent Garden to the Waldorf is downhill, so it is fine. However I would say that the tube takes closer to 1 hour than to 40 minutes.
more4less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 12, 8:18 am   #13

Programs: HHonors Diamond; AAdvantage 1.5MM
Deleted - wrong thread.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Mar 31, 12 at 5:28 pm.
isle-hawg is offline   Reply With Quote