Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AA will end transfer of AA miles to HH points

AA will end transfer of AA miles to HH points

Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:30 pm

Too late?

I don't see the option to redeem for Hilton points any more at redeemaamiles.points.com
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:33 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkpkmp
I don't see the option to redeem for Hilton points any more at redeemaamiles.points.com
It's still there. You'll see the Hilton Hhonors link below the Diners Club link. It's grayed out, but scroll down to it and it is active.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:49 pm

Thank you

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's still there. You'll see the Hilton Hhonors link below the Diners Club link. It's grayed out, but scroll down to it and it is active.
Thank you. Still works.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Might want to check the miles/night booking at useaamiles.com. Logged in as an elite there are substantial discounts.
So true! A quick comparison for an upcoming Seattle visit showed a much more favorable exchange using miles & booking thru AA portal as a platinum!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, CO/UA, WN
Thanks for posting this! I don't fly AA much, but I had around 50k AA miles in my account, so I transferred 48k AA for 80k HH. I'm saving up for a nice HH trip, so this will DEFINITELY help out!

Thanks again!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Just worked for me doing a 90k transfer. I accumulate plenty of aa miles and hh points but I think the latter are harder to earn and with the high redemption rates I figured it would be worth shifting some before it's too late. With an axon or glon award at a Europe hotel with free breakfast, Internet and suite upgrade often plus lounge access, hh redemptions of this sort still seem to have high payoff for me.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Alright, I bit, didn't wanna transfer before I knew where I was going, but since this is going away and already had 135K in Hilton, transferred 72K in AA so now have 255K in Hilton, enough for 6-7 nights at a Category 7. Hopefully Hilton won't go up again anytime soon.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info. Although with HH being grossly devalued since the virtual elimination of using the Diamond Force with Points last month, I don't look at this as a great loss.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We've enjoyed such great redemptions we both transferred 90,000 miles and gained 300,000 points in our Mutual Fund Account. We were getting lazy and waiting the year out, but carpe diem!

Thanks, SanDiego1K, for the warning and for checking this out with AA for us. (BTW, at least one member has been able to make TWO maximum transfers with redeemaamiles.)
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:46 pm

I have to wait for my 75K AA miles to post before I can do this transfer I hope it will be alive for another couple weeks. This is really messing up my Tahiti master plan for next year I was also going to do an SPG-> AA -> HH transfer this week but now I'm afraid the plug will be pulled before my points complete their trip.

Apparantly I can't use Hawaiian to do the SPG -> Hawaiian -> HH because of HA's policy:
Originally Posted by cblaisd
HA will NOT transfer onward points that were transferred in from other programs!

Only HA or airline partner flown miles, credit card miles, HA mall miles, etc.

http://www.hawaiianair.com/hawaiianm...other-partners
Does anyone know if AA also has a policy like this, in case I can make it in time? Are there any other ways to convert SPG points into HH points?

Last edited by msc75; Aug 14, 2011 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: A few
I was surprised how quickly the transfer went through. I initiated on Saturday morning and by last night the points had gone from AA and arrived at Hilton. Nice !
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I was surprised how quickly the transfer went through. I initiated on Saturday morning and by last night the points had gone from AA and arrived at Hilton. Nice !
They run sweeps on saturdays IIRC
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We made the transfers Friday, they have departed AA and arrived at HH. The Saturday sweep worked for this one, too.

No, you can transfer in to AA and transfer out - they do not seem to keep track of the origin and destination. Not to say they won't be able to sometime, but now it appears they can't or don't. As you say, the big issue is when the back door slams shut.

Originally Posted by msc75
...Does anyone know if AA also has a policy like this, in case I can make it in time? Are there any other ways to convert SPG points into HH points?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
You might want to check individual hotels you're interested in and compare rates between AA miles or HH points before you make a panic transfer. I just checked the Cat 6 Hilton Athenee Palace in Bucharest which goes for 125,000 HH points via a 4-night AXON award, one of the best deals available for HH points. But the same 4 nights would only be 57,000 miles (about 14,000 miles/night) booking via AA miles. If my ninth-grade math skills serve me correctly, you would be saving around 20,000 AA miles versus transfering the 75,000 miles needed to get the HH points for that same HH AXON award.
I think this is more an exception to the rule (definitely doesn't come close to working in Paris for the ADT for example) but if you have a particular hotel or hotels in mind it might be worth the time to make a quick comparison before any rash transfers. I'm glad I did.

Last edited by brasov02; Aug 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
We've enjoyed such great redemptions we both transferred 90,000 miles and gained 300,000 points in our Mutual Fund Account. We were getting lazy and waiting the year out, but carpe diem!

Thanks, SanDiego1K, for the warning and for checking this out with AA for us. (BTW, at least one member has been able to make TWO maximum transfers with redeemaamiles.)
Was that 90k twice from the same account or from two different accounts? I did the 90k on Sunday and want to transfer an additional amount, but with the 150k limit I don't know if I should just sent the 90k again and hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.