Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

undisclosed Diamond benefit: the right to misbehave?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond

Breakfast at a European Hilton, 7am: a group of six drunken men comes in and disturbs the peace of the breakfast room; one of them has a wound on the forehead and demands ice to cool it, touches the service personnel while making jokes, then stands next to the table where the others have breakfast and talks in a loud voice to them, going through many phases of emotional turmoil. The others find this incredibly funny and laugh at him, almost falling from their chairs. The situation is awkward and unpleasant.

Upon complaint to the receptionist, I am told that they do not know what to do: "They are VIPs". I ask what VIP means, and she says "they are HHonors members". (I suppose that this means at least Gold since I doubt that the breakfast list includes information about the HHonors status beyond what is relevant for breakfast.)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Which Hilton ?
Did you mention it to manager at checkout?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
I am surprised to hear this.

Which country was this in?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
I am surprised to hear this.

Which country was this in?
Yeah me too......my bet one of the uk city's and on a Sunday morning.

Last edited by wizla; Nov 23, 2014 at 2:28 am Reason: Additions
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
The "excuse" with the Hilton Honors status is lame. However, in such situations a hotel will always consider what resources they have to deal with a group of drunk men, in case they don't simply leave as requested. Now my professional philosophy is to (near) always approach such groups, but some in the profession take a more reserved approach. The idea behind a more reserved approach is that it would hopefully be less of a fuss for everyone (including other guests) if no action is taken...

@wizla: I take it you have high opinions of some of your fellow British neighbours
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by wizla
I was thinking the same until I read the borderline sycophantic response from the hotel staff, which makes me think Brits abroad in Eastern Europe...

(places bet)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:28 pm

I'd rather allow non-criminal misbehavior than go the other extreme. See Westin Warsaw: "I don't give **** about Starwood ambassador"
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
When I read the title of the thread, I thought the OP had just become aware that HHonors Diamond status bestows a DYKWIA attitude on its members!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Come on no one was hurt, where is the problem. Loud, rude guests appearing in breakfast rooms or lounges are pretty normal, most of the time they are not drunk but kids - where is the difference?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not in my experience, but I don't spend a lot of time in highfalutin' property lounges with entitled guests and their precious darlings.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
It's wrong.
They should consider other guests, and it is awkward for the hotel and Staff, I feel sorry for them in this type of situation.

I was in an exec lounge with my Son, who is perfectly behaved, waits in line whilst -some- push in, and it was very busy. A couple came in and had no where to sit, so we budged up and offered half of a sofa if they could squeeze in.
They then drank as much as possible and proceeded to have a loud argument with many expletives I did not want my Son to hear. It was disgusting behaviour.
The lounge started to empty as a result, the host was very apologetic but clearly didn't feel safe saying anything at that point. I felt sorry for her, they shouldn't have to put up with this sort of thing.
We also left, and the hotel sent some drinks to the room which was unexpected but very nice.
If you cant handle yourself in public, stay at home.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Skimanant
IIf you cant handle yourself in public, stay at home.
And who is the judge?

I came into a lounge and a family with three kids had two dvd players running, on full volume. I wasn t in the mood for the Lion King or other Disney crap - acceptable?

And there is a very long list of circumstances like this - involved kids, drunks, couples, happy people, angry people - all kind of folks - it s just human.

It s just, you are in public space and you have to deal with annoyances, if you can t just leave or handle the situation. If you can t handle the public - stay home.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Ed Size
And who is the judge?

I came into a lounge and a family with three kids had two dvd players running, on full volume. I wasn t in the mood for the Lion King or other Disney crap - acceptable?

And there is a very long list of circumstances like this - involved kids, drunks, couples, happy people, angry people - all kind of folks - it s just human.

It s just, you are in public space and you have to deal with annoyances, if you can t just leave or handle the situation. If you can t handle the public - stay home.
fair play , but im kinda with skimanant on this one......if im in mcdonalds I expect unruly kids........if im in a pub I expect to see some drunken behaviour........however when im trying to work in a exec lounge I expect a reasonable amount of quietness and peace ......unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
YES!

Just Kidding..
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Oh I agree that dvd players on full volume would also be annoying, but I (or lounge staff) would probably be more comfortable and safer asking for these to be turned down a little rather than a drunken group?

If it is a public place, then its even more important to be able to behave in public. Not everyone is perfect, and we do have different levels and definitions of what is/ is not acceptable. But, if you are behaving inappropriately at someone elses' expense, remember they have also paid to stay there. I agree the context is important, yes my local pub on a Friday there will often be a number of people who have had a number of drinks- but should this go too far and break into a fight that isn't acceptable. Normally it doesn't and lots of people have a good time.

I don't want to get this into a moral argument, I was annoyed with my example above because we tried to help someone else out and then it was returned by poor behaviour. Being in a public space and dealing with annoyances happens, but it is the degree/ nature of those annoyances.

Last edited by Skimanant; Nov 25, 2014 at 4:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.