Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton London Angel Islington {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Angel Islington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
(note however it is usually a room upgrade OR breakfast).
Would the choice be the same for Golds?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:44 pm

Haha! I need to know whether they will upgrade you or give you a free breakfast for golds too! I will be going there later in the march for a stopover then next morning I need to head to the waterloo station to go to Paris (and stays in Paris Hilton. LOL.) Can someone gives me perks for either of the hotels (and man, 30lbs for internet? thats just a PURE ripoff for us Americans!). How about Hilton Metropole? If its better for us golds, then I'll book this hotel during my return travel!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We have stayed at both hotels and prefer Metropole. That said, it was before the bombing of Edgware Underground station which is a half block away. I have no idea if it has been restored yet. Both neighborhoods are nothing special. Metropole has much nicer rooms in the new section which is where we have always stayed as Gold members. Nice little lounge. Big buffet breakfast downstairs if you want. Rates are all over the map for both hotels. The rooms at Islington are a lot like Best Western or a Scandic. When we did a return visit to Metropole well over a year from the first, we were greeted with "Welcome back!" much to our amazement. And were asked if we wanted our same room! Which we did.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:16 am

I am going to be staying there next week as a gold member. Can someone give me the direction from the airport( first time in UK). Also, how far is it from the waterloo station? thanks so much for ur help! please PM me too if u can!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The nearest underground station is Angel which is on the city branch of the Northern Line.

From the airport take the Piccadilly line to Kings Cross and then change to the City Branch of the Northern line.

From Waterloo you can take the West End branch of the Northern Line to Euston and then change for the City Branch of the Northern Line.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:00 pm

Thanks so much! I heard London is pretty cold (I am from LA) now so I guess I will have to bring some extra clothes next week when I am there.
I will be staying at Hilton Islington on the 21st, then Paris Hilton on the 22nd, then Metropole on the 26th. Any FFter wanna grab a drink together at the lounge? Are there free internet at any of those lobbies?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Hilton Islington seems to be coming up on Priceline a lot lately, especially on the weekends, at major discounts from Hilton rates. Following BFT guidance I scored three nights in May @ $95 (apx. GBP46), while the cheapest advance-purchase Hilton rate online is GBP145 or so. At 70% off, I can do without the HHonors points and with the chance of a "Priceline sneer."

It looks like a great neighborhood (see http://www.myvillage.com/islington) but I suspect the hotel's main custom comes from business traffic at the British Design Centre next door... and they might be having trouble filling it up on weekends.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
As Diamond upgraded to a suite. Nice room with usual amenities but I swear the wine bottles are getting smaller.

Breakfast was very good, hot and cold buffet but plenty of choice and nice black pudding

Great locations - dozens of restaurants, bars and pubs within walking distance and only 100 metres from Angel tube
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm here at Hilton Islington right now. I had extremely low expectations, and have been pleasantly surprised. It is just a 1-night stay, at a pre-paid rate of GBP 94 (around 105ish with taxes).

I was upgraded to a larger room; not quite a suite (as I'd see a suite at least), but it has 2 double/full beds. Bath is ok; combo tub/shower, the sink has seen better days. The fixtures in the room are a few years old, but the LCD tv is larger than at other London Hiltons I've stayed at.

Arrived around 1-1:30 PM, had to go inside to find someone to help with bags. Check-in was seemless, and was assured a taxi in the morning to St Pancras will be only 10 min (we'll allow extra just in case). That is the reason we're here, the proximity to St Pancras, as we have an 8:30 AM train to Paris. So far my contacts with staff have been very positive.

There is no exec lounge, but breakfast is provided (begins at 6:30). There's a tray in the room with a few bottles of water (1 still, 1 sparkling), a bottle of wine, and some chocolates. The room is significantly larger than what I got at Kensignton, and probably even larger than Tower Bridge. Immediate view is of an alley, but can see that Oxo Tower in the distance. I'd describe the hotel as similar to a college dorm room. I felt like I've been here before, and think it is similar to a place I stayed when I did a semester abroad in college. Actually, I just thought of this, it reminds me quite a bit of the Mainz Hilton (in the city, I stayed there for a FRA mileage run).

The area here looks trendy, as everyone else said. But there are chains moving in (Pizza Express just across Upper St and 2 Starbucks each about 2 min walk), as well as a Mucho Mas (exactly the same thing as Chipotle in the US). The hotel is an easy 5-min walk to the Angel Tube station.

Overall, the place seems to live up to expectations. For London, for the price, and for the convenience, it seems very worthwhile. If I were by myself, I'd stay here again for a few nights, especially on a tight budget (like a mileage run).

Almost forgot: we joined Boingo for Internet, which works free from this property. When signing into the Hilton network, on the right side is a 'partners' area, which Boingo is one. There are separate fees directly to Boingo, I think $10/month.

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 8, 2008 at 2:04 pm
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AzTimms experiences match my own -- although my "upgraded" room as a gold was far from a suite. More like an upgrade from a closet to a larger closet. I liked how they refreshed my free wine after the first night, though. ^

The free breakfast in the lobby is great -- at least if you have not yet grown tired of a proper English breakfast. The selections beyond traditional fare were somewhat limited. But since I wasn't paying for it, it would be extremely impolite to complain!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I noticed a thread for another London Hilton, and remembered that I forgot to update my experiences here.

The breakfast here at Islington was simply fantastic--way too much. We went almost right when they started, and of course everything was very fresh. Hot/cold items, and of course the steamed tomatoes and mushrooms. Funny, I'll never have those at home, but when in England I do like the English...

It was a very quick and seemless 10 min cab ride to St Pancras International. If you are doing an international train, definitely plan to get there an hour + before train departure. Security was a bit of a PITA, and all luggage (hand and what you would check on a plane) had to be screened. The food on the train was ok, a bit small portion and they waited until we were in the Chunnel, so I'm glad we ate at the hotel beforehand.

I stand by my post below, I'd certainly stay here again, the neighborhood is a bit kitchy, and the employees at the hotel really seemed to try extra hard.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:25 am
Suspended

Aztimm --

thaks for the account, but am not sure by what you mean Kitchy.

I have stayed at the property before a couple of years ago and really like the hood. It is London's small approximation to the Upper West Side in NYC, IMHO, and that is in more ways than one.

Great late night dining on the weekends, and trendy restos. I ate at Granita where Blarir and Brown decided who wold run first for the PM of GB some 12 years agao.

In addityion, like the UWS in NYC, it had become a run down area until it was regentrified in the 70's and 80's when the folks who work in the City discovered that it was just 2 short tube stops to their offices.

In fact, Joe Orton lived in the area when it was seedy as Prick Up your Ears relates quite well.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:39 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
2 reasonable stays this week. The rooms were a good size by London standards. Warm welcome from the staff and the room service was good ( £5 tray charge a bit steep though) . Took the 1000 extra points as no exec lounge. My room had 2 bottles mineral water and a little bottle of wine. Also the restaurant had an offer on. I was given a leaflet stating 3 course meal and bottle of wine was approx £18 ( I presume it was a little bottle of wine). The air con was good and the rooms were quiet.
The nearby area was quite buzzy, with an Ask restaurant outside the front door of the hotel and loads of bars nearby as well as a cinema. However the mini cab used by the hotel is a rip off, I was quoted £12 for a trip the driver then told me £14 and a black cab charged just over eight pounds for the same journey. Don't use the mini cabs
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Hilton London Islington email address

By any chance does anyone have a direct email address for the Hilton Islington? I booked 4 nights over Pres day weekend at a great rate through PL ($66/night plus taxes and fees -- $320 total) and thought I'd put in a request for a queen/king bed and maybe drop my HH gold number to see if it snags me a better room.
Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:30 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Hilton Islington, London UK

I have avoided this property for years as its location was so out of the way. But it is not far from St Pancras, about a 10GPB ride by taxi.

However I stayed there recently and I greatly enjoyed it. Rooms are reasonably big, quiet due to the good brick construction, good working air conditioning (which is a rare feat in Europe) and a great free full breakfast. The area is very lively and not really that far from central London.

The rates are often as low as 109GPB but not in the late spring till early autumn period when the rates are much higher such as 259GPB but check out all the options first..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.