Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
HH status upgrades in the Uk are a joke (as are most UK Hiltons).
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:13 pm

They hardly even show respect to the Royals over there, so why would one even think that Diamond status means anything?

M8
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:17 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Alinlondon
HH status upgrades in the Uk are a joke (as are most UK Hiltons).
Some hiltons in the UK are ok, but the cally is not one of them. I always stay at the sheraton Grand just around the corner from the cally. I am just an SPG gold, but have always recieved an upgrade. I never got any recognition as an HH gold at the cally.
Sharp contrast to london. I now always use the Hilton Metropole. I was there last week. Golds are always given access to the executive lounge, and can even check in at the lounge. Free breakfast in the lounge, which was Continental but very good. I have also always got an upgraded room. So you can get some recognition in the UK if you know where to go.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'd agree with obs.

Cally (and for that matter Edinburgh Hilton Grosvenor which is a dump) don't offer Diamond recognition. However other UK Hiltons such as Metropole & Kensington in london & Glasgow do offer something.

Although not in th UK, both Dublin Hiltons (city & airport) are good as well.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:01 am

Stayed there as gold a couple years ago with my family. Was upgraded to a beautiful suite overlooking the castle, with full breakfast for all four of us. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFW13
He made a call, mumbled an apology, and half an hour later four cookies in a plastic bag were sent to my room.
You did tip the cookie-bearer generously, I hope! ;-)

We stayed there on a Reward stay last April, with Gold status. Our room was huge (had 2 entrances) and a king-size bed, with steps leading down from the desk area to the sleeping area. We got a complimentary bottle of wine and some Scottish fudge as a welcome gift. I don't know if they've gone downhill that fast or the OP just hit them on a bad day.

Last edited by Athena53; Nov 4, 2005 at 7:29 pm
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
We stayed there last summer and were underwhelmed. Although it is in an excellent location, I thought the property was just 'OK'.

No acknowledgement as to status. Also, we were put in a western facing (away from the castle) room that got very hot in the afternoon/evening. It took two days of trying to get a room that stayed cool. So much for Diamond status.

They installed A/C in some of the rooms last fall. I would make sure that I got a room with A/C if I were to stay there in the warmer months.

Apparently, no A/C in European Hilton properties is not uncommon. Can you say? "Hello Marriott".
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have stayed at the Caley a few times and have been upgraded often ( to different types of rooms). The rooms have come with a bottle of wine and fruit or fudge. Breakfast has been free.

One of the rooms was warm but with the fan it made it bearable.

The breakfast is very good and the Living Well fitness center is good.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BillMorrow
Apparently, no A/C in European Hilton properties is not uncommon. Can you say? "Hello Marriott".
There's a Marriott in Edinburgh but nowhere near as conveniently located. It's on a bus line and the bus service is good, but a walk into town would have been a long trip.

We usually travel in October and April, so never notice the lack of AC.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:56 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have stayed at the Caley a few times and have been upgraded often ( to different types of rooms). The rooms have come with a bottle of wine and fruit or fudge. Breakfast has been free.
I stayed last weekend for three days and received a bottle of wine and fudge on my first night and third night. Breakfast was included in the rate and I had castle view room that was one of the largest non suite rooms I have ever received.

The bad thing is that castle view rooms seem to get alot of street noise.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
The bad thing is that castle view rooms seem to get alot of street noise
Word. I had a great corner room once on the top level with a castle view and the street noise late at night was pretty bad. If I recall there is a club across the way. I remember hearing people out there well into the wee hours of the night.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by BillMorrow
They installed A/C in some of the rooms last fall. I would make sure that I got a room with A/C if I were to stay there in the warmer months.
Warmer months in Edinburgh are few and far between, you should pay more attention to getting a room with good heating
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:37 am

Terrible noise

Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
Word. I had a great corner room once on the top level with a castle view and the street noise late at night was pretty bad. If I recall there is a club across the way. I remember hearing people out there well into the wee hours of the night.
After a lot of hassle I also got a great castle view on 3rd floor.

I also had drunk screaming people across the road for about an hour constantly around 3am.
Its a long time since I have had that in any city in the world.
are they all drunks up there?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:17 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Probably, but who cares - Edinburgh is a wonderful city! ^ :-:
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Been there when it is cold.. I agree about the heater!

Until I figured out how the heater worked, I thought I might freeze to death.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.