Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
After a lot of hassle I also got a great castle view on 3rd floor.

I also had drunk screaming people across the road for about an hour constantly around 3am.
Its a long time since I have had that in any city in the world.
are they all drunks up there?
No, there are few in Kilkenny, Ireland. Room was 3 floors above local pub. Had to use my Bose to cut the noise. Not at a Hilton but the hotel compensated me for lost sleep since they owned the pub.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
After a lot of hassle I also got a great castle view on 3rd floor.

I also had drunk screaming people across the road for about an hour constantly around 3am.
Its a long time since I have had that in any city in the world.
are they all drunks up there?
No but unfortunately the hotel is located on Lothian Road which is one of the main "Entertainment" areas in the city, and the corner where the property sits is the main route to Rose St which consists mostly of pubs, this accounts for the rowdy passing traffic
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: OW Gold, Star Gold
Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh hotel

What can I expect as HH Gold? Is their a lounge?
I tried a search here but could not find anything, am I not searching properly?

Any info would be great, thanks
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:46 am
Community Director Emerita

See

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355374

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489466

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446970
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:11 am

Programs: BA BD SA
After reading those threads, where lots of folk found the Calley rather iffy, I am even more surprised at what they charge. In June the best flexible rate is 280 quid - 300 quid with breakfast. That's worse than London prices!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:20 am

Thats when u use points if you really want to stay there!
We paid 125pounds on a prepaid and as per my post had I not kicked up a stink at the desk when I got a dumpy room I would NOT have been happy

I would NEVER entertain the thought of staying there as gold
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diomand, Starward Platinum, Sofitel Gold, BMI Silver
Its so-so. There are some poor rooms and there are some nice rooms - all are often very expensive - I would never pay more than £130 for a room and I would expect a good upgrade at that. They are living in a dream world with some of there prices like £700 for a suite - that is the same as Park Lane Hilton. The suites are nice but not £700. I once was upgraded as a gold but only after changing rooms twice as they were terriable. The minimum you should stand for is a Refurbished Deluxe room or a deluxe plus (view of castle) these are new and have nicer bathrooms. non-refubs are old fashioned and dated so avoid.

The public area are nice but not amaizing - although it is supposed to be 5 star - it doesnt quite convince me. the service is hit and miss - sometimes excellent and sometimes not.

You either get an upgrade or breakfast - they dont do both - sometimes neither. As I said - For a good rate I stay there - sometimes as low as £108 on a pre-pay for a single which is upgraded if "wife" is staying.

What ever you do though - dont be tempted by the low prices of the Grovenor Hilton - the Caladonian is a palace in comparison.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by Matt1
...What ever you do though - dont be tempted by the low prices of the Grovenor Hilton - the Caladonian is a palace in comparison.
I wouldn't say that exactly. The rooms at the Grovenor are not the best, but the service can be good and the goodies I got as a diamond there were among the best anywhere on earth.

The main selling point for the Caladonian is the location -- you just can't get a better room in terms of location in the city.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:11 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I found the Cally a bit hit and miss, and have never got upgraded. Last time in Edinburgh I stayed at the Hilton Edinburgh Airport. The rooms were clean and modern, I was upgraded, and had water and chocolates left in the room. When I went into Edinburgh for a 2 night stay I used the Sheraton Grand which is just behind the Cally. I am SPG Gold but was upgraded to a family suite with Castle views and only paid £165 per night. I have normally found that Hilton Gold gets me better treatment than SPG Gold, Edinburgh appears to be the only exception.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:58 am

I've stayed at the Caledonian Hilton, Sheraton Grand, Intercontinental George. As a hotel I would say the Sheraton was the better property. For location, I like the George since nice pubs and restaurants were located on the same street. Some of these, like The Dome, are in renovated old bank buildings.

If you are interested in restaurant fare, try The Tower. It is located over the museum across the street from the university. It's not a touristy place. Very classy, unusually good service. It is owned by the same people who own The Witchery, which is a very touristy place located on the Royal Mile.

M8
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
How long

How long will you be staying?

We found it far more cost effective and fun to rent a flat on the Royal Mile last year. There were four of us for a week. This way we had two bedrooms, kitchen, washer and dryer. Loved it!

Only downside, no HH points

http://www.royalmileflat.co.uk/page....&viewpage=home
Old Apr 29, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Stayed there last night on points. Wasn't sure what to expect, but got a very nice upgraded room with castle view, chocolates, fruit and wine in the room and free breakfast for me and Mrs thegoderic.

If this stadard is applied consistently, I would strongly recommend.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Just bumping this one up to see if anyone has been there over the summer. Either way, I will be going in about a month and will report back.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:45 pm

Not Impressed with this place

Few weeks ago paid a lot of money - 160GBP for one night, room only. No recognition at all, tried to check in at 2pm and told to come back later, given a truly tiny attic room that was hot,hot,hot with no view (tiny window anyway, view was the *rse end of the building) and staff that looked down their noses at you...

Nice building in a good locsation that could easily be deemed worth it with the right room and the right staff and the right weather (ok I'll cut some slack on that one) - too many if's for my reccommendation though...

Put a form in the "how did we do" box, probably got torn up, no response.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: Everyone!
This place is a mixed bag. Stayed on a reward stay as a gold. Was "upgraded" to a suite facing the back of the hotel and the dumpster. Room had no air conditioning but we couldn't open the windows because of the loud nightclub outside our room. I had to break out the rotating fan from the closet at a 5-star Hilton!! They did not offer me breakfast, but when I went to ask, they did say I was entitled to full buffett, which is very extravagant and nice.

TV was tiny with no reception. Someone pulled a fire alarm at 2AM on our first night there, so that wasn't fun.

Location is great for getting out, but it is a LONG (10-15 minutes) walk from Waverly station (especially if it is raining, like it frequently does here).

No newspaper delivery. Posted similar feedback as this on TripAdvisor if anyone is interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.