Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:32 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks everyone for the information. Ms. rtpflyer and I are looking forward to our 6 night stay there in early April (using up our GLON award before it expires), and this just heightens our anticipation.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:42 pm

Have to agree with all the above comments on the Cally. It is a beautiful hotel with a good location and a great view.

I stayed there a year ago when I brought my mum on a trip of Europe where we practically stayed only in Hiltons if available, and this was my mum's favourite. She loved the staff and the hotel's atmosphere. Plus the restaurant had good food and the Molton Brown toiletries were good.

Ask for a nice castle view room and you will wake up to a great view in the morning and also have a nice view just before you turn in.

Enjoy!!! and have a great trip!

------------------
Travelling makes the world smaller and friendlier.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Caledonian (EDI)- Castle View room renovations (Feb 05)

Hi,

I just got back from an overnight stay at the Caledonian Hilton in EDI.

The Castle view rooms along lothian road have scafolding outside and they are redoing the rooms with better beds,broadband, a/c in some rooms.

The Healthclub is closed during February 2005.

As a diamond checking in at 815pm I got upgraded from a double to a suite (251) with a large bed, bathroom with bathrobes and a huge living room with tv ,tables and sofa .
Room was quiet with views of the court yard.

One slightly annoying thing was in the bar, chisholms, they add a 10% disretionary service charge then another line for a gratuity.

Very good buffet breakfast ( free for me) including haggis,omlette station,waffle station and good continental selection.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Its a nice hotel. Scaffolding wasnt there for our recent stay (upgraded to castle view suite ^ ).
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Yes the scaffolding has been going up for th past week on the castle view rooms.

Also there was a note from the manager saying work would be between 8 am and 5pm ( could have been 10am) but if you wanted a quiet room away from the work to contact the front desk.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:01 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
The Castle view rooms along lothian road have scafolding outside and they are redoing the rooms with better beds,broadband, a/c in some rooms.
TBS
This has been one of my complaints about this hotel in the past - no air conditioning in the bedrooms.. In the summer, our room was so hot and we were unable to open the overpainted sash-type windows to get any fresh air in the room. Had to request portable fans to be sent up to the room, which were not much use. On another occasion, we had no hot water in the room, due to faulty old plumbing. Also found the restaurant service at breakfast time to be chaotic. Staff gave the excuse that it was festival time and they were very busy. Aren't hotels meant to be busy! Considering its prime position on Princes Street, I think it definitely deserves a major exterior facelift to improve it's image. At the moment, in my opinion, its exterior looks sadly neglected. Sorry, I know some people rave about this hotel, but have had bad experiences each time we've stayed there.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No need for aircon this time of the year
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Bump!

Have the renovations finished at the Cally yet?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:02 am

I had a 322 castle view new decor on a recent stay,.
it was very comfortable and the bathrom was sparce but nice.
The windows opened and the air con was good(it was the night of the fireworks so we just sat in the room and watched.
they sent chockies and a 1/2 bottle of new zealand white
the breakfast was good.
I would like to see them steam clean the outside. it would look great.
Would i go there again-
for position I would but the attitude of the front desk on checkin for a Diamond was way out of line
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:12 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Scaffolding was there in July. I arrived and spent the first night at Hilton EDI airport. Got upgraded room, nice modern hotel, and left usual bottles of water in the room. Went into town and saw scaffolding still up at the Cally so booked the Sheraton Grand. Stayed there before and upgraded to a castle view room. I would stay there personally until the work has finished. I am only SPG gold, but have been upgraded on both stays at the Grand.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:53 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We were there in April of this year on a reward stay- got an "airshaft-view" room but it was huge. The bed could have held 4 people and the sleeping area was a few steps down from the living room area. Bathroom big enough to accomodate a bidet in addition to the usual stuff, and we got a full bottle of wine and Scottish fudge as a welcome gift! No free breakfast, though.

Definitely one of our most memorable hotel stays even without the castle view.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Platinum
I was there a month ago. I got a beautiful castle-view room, and I didn't notice any scaffolding.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Athena53
We were there in April of this year on a reward stay- got an "airshaft-view" room but it was huge. The bed could have held 4 people and the sleeping area was a few steps down from the living room area. Bathroom big enough to accomodate a bidet in addition to the usual stuff, and we got a full bottle of wine and Scottish fudge as a welcome gift! No free breakfast, though.

Definitely one of our most memorable hotel stays even without the castle view.
Beds that hold 4 people...that's my kind of trip.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, SQ Gold
Edinburgh Caledonian: Diamond Recognition

So I just had my first stay as a Diamond, at the Calley in Edinburgh. Didn't really think much about the Diamond thing as I was checking in but it occurred to me later that night that I should have been shown some recongition, offered some upgrade/perk etc.

I asked the guy at the counter whether, as a Diamond, I should have been given something extra. He said no. I asked him to check whether that was really right. He made a call, mumbled an apology, and half an hour later four cookies in a plastic bag were sent to my room.

Is this really what i've given all my business to Hilton for over the past year? Four chocolate chip cookies that I almost had to beg for?

I thought it was about Hilton recognising their most frequent guests and giving them something back. Have to say i felt thoroughly disappointed by the whole thing and think I may now just get my Starwood account comped and shift my business to them.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:06 pm
cjd

Stayed there twice as Diamond and been thoroughly disappointed with the hotel. From recent threads, I thought they had improved but obviously not. Both times had poor service and dubious upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.