Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by craz
I dont agree, and I highly doubt had instead of becoming a WA they went say Independent that you would have ended up with a stay credit or any HH pts.

I know with SPG that according to their T&Cs you would be SOL if the Hotel decided not to let you out of the res and you would get ZIPPO from SPG and no benefits need be provided by the Hotel since they were no longer with the program

The contact is for what is written on your res, thusly status benefits and Stay credit and pts would all be at the discreation of the Hotel. And when you joined up to the program you agreed to this, even if you never actually read thru all the membership materials
I do know that in the past, when I made a reservation at a Starwood hotel which changed brands (to non-Starwood) prior to my stay, I got Starwood points directly from Corporate after sending them a copy of my bill. I know of cases where that has happened for other chains as well, and none where the selling chain refused credit when asked politely.

If the hotel won't honor my full reservation (and it isn't necessarily just for a room; would you say that someone who paid a higher rate for room+breakfast should only get a room if that deal isn't available under the new management?) then the contract I have is being violated. That has never actually happened to me.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
When I pre-paid, the contract was for what their website offered me at the time I paid.
Which was the dates, room type and the rate. Nothing else. When free Internet was introduced you would not say that those who prepaid before the introduction are not eligible to receive them? You receive your benefits on the day depending upon which property you check into. You can't contract a Hilton hotel to remain a Hilton hotel.

I am not saying that it is right when such situations occur; and since we choose properties based also on the expectation of additional amenities people should at least be allowed to get out of prepaid reservations. And where a property remains a Hhonors property a goodwill gesture should be made to those who prepaid.

But there is no contract I am afraid. Certainly not in this case when the website had a notice of the property switching the brand to WA for a year, so anyone who booked to arrive past 1 Sep 2012 knew what they were paying for.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 2, 2013 at 7:28 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Which was the dates, room type and the rate. Nothing else.
Interesting that you can claim to know what was on a website last year that you've never actually seen.

When free Internet was introduced you would not say that those who prepaid before the introduction are not eligible to receive them?
That's up to the hotel; but if the policy is that people with a given status receive it, then they do.

You receive your benefits on the day depending upon which property you check into. You can't contract a Hilton hotel to remain a Hilton hotel.
I receive what I contracted for. The contract doesn't say that the hotel will remain a Hilton, but it might say that I get free Internet access.

I am not saying that it is right when such situations occur; and since we choose properties based also on the expectation of additional amenities people should at least be allowed to get out of prepaid reservations. And where a property remains a Hhonors property a goodwill gesture should be made to those who prepaid.

But there is no contract I am afraid. Certainly not in this case when the website had a notice of the property switching the brand to WA for a year, so anyone who booked to arrive past 1 Sep 2012 knew what they were paying for.
I don't know about that specific hotel. I do know that I've had web sites tell me that my status gets me free breakfasts for a particular reservation type.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:01 pm

Sethb, I am yet to see a rate that describes elite benefits. The contract, a description of what you paid for, is in the details of the rate. E-mail confirmations do refer to your preferences of on-property benefits but they are not a contract - you may stop being an elite on the day of check-in, the property may stop being a Hilton or you may simply change your preference and opt for other benefits. But the logic is if you're an elite and if the property is a Hhonors property on the date of check-in you'll receive your chosen benefits , but if either condition stops being true you don't have an entitlement to anything.

These situations do not occur frequently (as with the Hilton in Paris when the property left the programme overnight and people had to negotiate themselves directly with the property what they'll receive if anything). The situation with the Caledonian is different as it had been known for over a year that it would become a WA.

Since, this is a hotel specific thread I'll be interested to hear whether anyone was given free breakfast because they booked when the hotel was still a Hilton. I will come back there soon but I booked a breakfast inclusive rate knowing that it will no longer be a benefit.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Sethb, I am yet to see a rate that describes elite benefits. The contract, a description of what you paid for, is in the details of the rate. E-mail confirmations do refer to your preferences of on-property benefits but they are not a contract - you may stop being an elite on the day of check-in, the property may stop being a Hilton or you may simply change your preference and opt for other benefits. But the logic is if you're an elite and if the property is a Hhonors property on the date of check-in you'll receive your chosen benefits , but if either condition stops being true you don't have an entitlement to anything.

These situations do not occur frequently (as with the Hilton in Paris when the property left the programme overnight and people had to negotiate themselves directly with the property what they'll receive if anything). The situation with the Caledonian is different as it had been known for over a year that it would become a WA.

Since, this is a hotel specific thread I'll be interested to hear whether anyone was given free breakfast because they booked when the hotel was still a Hilton. I will come back there soon but I booked a breakfast inclusive rate knowing that it will no longer be a benefit.
I have a stay coming up here later this year. I wrote a nice e-mail to the on-site customer relations team. Their response, "we're aware of the situation, and are exploring our options." They promised to get back with me soon. I have a four-night award stay for a party of two, so even if they split the difference and offer me two days' comped breakfasts, I'll be happy. And yes, I did know they were changing over to a WA prior to my booking.

I honestly don't expect anything, but if you don't ask....
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Eyed to

I received a free breakfast when I raised it with the hotel. They didn't need to do this as it did state on my confirmation it was changing to a WA property. I can't remember if I only knew this after I had booked and that the points were non-refundable.

I am a recent convert from SPG and know what I am doing on the SPG . It is all still new to me on the Hilton rules/website.

Also, my travel in Hilton properties is personal, so I want to get the most out of my status as it is not easy accumulating at least 30 stays per year!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:45 pm

Giving it another go

HHonors refunded the points after the last stay's unfortunate experience (I had already paid for the other room). Giving it another go next week. Will report......
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:47 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by cme17
First posting on Hilton website and hope you can help. We have a stay in the Edinburgh Caledonian Waldorf coming up. When we booked it was a Hilton and booked using points (that for some reason was not refundable). As Diamond members we would have been eligible for a free breakfast in the Hilton but this isn't a benefit for the Waldorf.

Grateful for advice on whether the hotel should honour the free breakfast. We are staying for two nights and reckon the breakfasts will be about $160!
I stayed there a year ago October and could have sworn all guests got breakfast. I am gold and was during my stay as well. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. It was a fairly nice breakfast too. Although, I would avoid the haggis. I'll eat almost anything but that just really didn't appeal to me.

AGS
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:59 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by AGS
I stayed there a year ago October and could have sworn all guests got breakfast. I am gold and was during my stay as well. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. It was a fairly nice breakfast too. Although, I would avoid the haggis. I'll eat almost anything but that just really didn't appeal to me.

AGS
Now that the hotel has converted to Waldorf Astoria, Hhonors Gold and Diamond members booking a "room only" rate are not entitled to complimentary breakfast. Only benefit is space available upgrade and choice of 1000 Hhonors points or free movie for Golds. Diamonds don't get much more! Very poor benefits
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
Now that the hotel has converted to Waldorf Astoria, Hhonors Gold and Diamond members booking a "room only" rate are not entitled to complimentary breakfast. Only benefit is space available upgrade and choice of 1000 Hhonors points or free movie for Golds. Diamonds don't get much more! Very poor benefits
I heard - but could not verify - that Diamonds get a 10% discount on all dining.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:21 am
cjd

I heard - but could not verify - that Diamonds get a 10% discount on all dining.
Yes, that's what i meant by Diamonds don't get much more. As well as the possible space available upgrade, Diamonds get a choice of two among the following: 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay; one in-room movie per stay; or a spa, golf or restaurant discount, as designated by the property. Getting 10% discount on dining, in my opinion, is a very poor benefit compared to a complimentary breakfast for two people. At £20 per person, two breakfasts would save a couple £40. The discount would save you £4
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Indeed - I think I put that in the breakfasts thread. Diamonds can have the 10% off as a choice. They get get to pick two of the discount, 1000 points or a free movie.

The only other Diamond benefit was a reduced rate for breakfast, which is £15 instead of £20.

We enjoyed our stay here even without breakfast and would certainly consider it again.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:40 pm

I wrote a long update on my iPad....

But it scrubbed it. Once I have a PC I will elaborate but until then to give you a flavour of the upgrade they gave me with no personal recognition at all of Diamond status nor the last disastrous stay please see the definition of this lovely Scottish word which derives entirely from our French past relationship...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/garret

Don't get me wrong. The Caley is an institution. It is just that for the last 20 years it hasn't performed despite all its obvious attributes.

More later after I can include the breakfast I now have to pay for.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by turntheheatdown
But it scrubbed it. Once I have a PC I will elaborate but until then to give you a flavour of the upgrade they gave me with no personal recognition at all of Diamond status nor the last disastrous stay please see the definition of this lovely Scottish word which derives entirely from our French past relationship...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/garret

Don't get me wrong. The Caley is an institution. It is just that for the last 20 years it hasn't performed despite all its obvious attributes.

More later after I can include the breakfast I now have to pay for.
One mans' garret is another mans' "attic"

Interested in your candid review since I have a four-night (points stay) coming up here in late August.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
One mans' garret is another mans' "attic"

Interested in your candid review since I have a four-night (points stay) coming up here in late August.

Cheers.
Me too. I have a 4 night points stay coming up in early August. Something to do with a Festival

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.