Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Old Dec 15, 2000, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Last weekend during a status/shopping run we had the pleasure of staying in the Hilton Gas Lamp.

The hotel is brand new, and in a great location, directly across from the convention center, and adjacent to the trolley station (a quick 25 minute ride to the Mexican border).
We reserved an executive room months in advance (before I earned gold) on the Hilton web site, at a rate of $159 per night. Check in was flawless, with all our keys and paperwork waiting for us. The front desk agent very politely commented that our rate was extremely low, but gave us a fabulous corner room (room 1113), with a king bed.

The room was large and very comfortable, with the standard full desk (with high speed Internet access that I was never charged for), two bottles of Evian a day, a very comfortable chair, turn-down service with great chocolate, Frette linens (anyone know where to buy these?), mini bar/refrigerator, and 27-inch television. However, I immediately discovered by the lack of an ashtray, that it was a non smoking room. A quick call to the front desk sent a bellhop up with a new room assignment on the 9th floor (the only floor where smoking is permitted). As this room was missing the executive level room amenities (Executive level rooms are on the 11th and 12th floors), I gave my word that I would not smoke in the room and returned to 1113 (I made many trips down during my stay).

They decided to close the executive lounge during the breakfast hours, and provided me with coupons for a free “All American” breakfast to use in their restaurant. The waiter gladly accepted them as payment in full for the buffet on Saturday, and brunch on Sunday. During the evening hours the lounge was open only from 5:30 until 7:00. I politely complained about these unposted hours, and was cheerfully given a few free drinks at the bar.

This hotel has a very professional and courteous staff, I will gladly stay there again. The money we saved shopping in Mexico more then paid for the room
Old Dec 17, 2000, 11:06 pm

We stayed in that very room 1113 (!) a couple of weeks ago, on the executive floor. Great linens and bed, loved the complimentary Evian. Never got charged for the DSL either. The $ 140/night rate included breakfast for two.
Great decor. Loved it.

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 12-17-2000).]
Old Dec 18, 2000, 2:11 am

Is this a new Hilton and therefore having a special pricing for the opening? I checked for the remaining of DEC and the cheapest(standard) rate is $99 for most of the days. I will be in San Diego for the first weekend of JAN and the cheapest rate jump to a whooping $279 per night.

[This message has been edited by OnePassLover (edited 12-18-2000).]
Old Dec 18, 2000, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Joe and I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago.

The executive floor was full, but they did give us a very nice suite on a lower floor, lounge privileges, a lovely fruit place, evian water, and they brought us bathrobes and big towels, which I truly love. I think I might be getting a little spoiled in my old age. OBTW, the bed was fantastic.

I personally prefer th old hotels like the Drake and the Chicago Hilton and Towers, but this is certainly more than acceptable.
Old Jun 17, 2001, 7:09 pm
Suspended

An update on the Gaslamp; I found it to be a very nice property with an excellent staff. Our room on the 12th floor was fairly standard (I'd request one facing west next time for the sunsets) but the beds were great. The lounge was nice, friendly staff with hours 6:00 - 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. but they stayed open later the nights we were there.

Two thumbs up.
Old Jun 17, 2001, 7:24 pm
GG

drtravels, thanks for the update. I looked into booking this property during the SAN Flyertalk gathering, but the best rate they'd quote me was $279! No award availability either (surprise!).

Maybe I'll try again for early December, which is about as "off" a season as SD gets.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 3:32 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
Yup, ive walked thru it while staying (elsewhere)at the Harbor Island Hilton.....I need to try it out, but it is pricey...
Old Jun 18, 2001, 9:10 am
Suspended

They've got a pretty liberal definition of "government employee" which last week was $109/nt or $149 at the other lowest.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
SAN GasLamp Deluxe room

I am heading to SAN and staying at the GasLamp in a deluxe queen size bed room. What does the deluxe mean?

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:26 pm

I'm not sure what the difference is between a deluxe and regular room, but in my experience, the Gaslamp Hilton has been good in upgrading Elite members to the exec. lounge floor (keyed access)

Ask for a room with a balcony, and a view of the bay.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:16 pm

SD GASlamp

does anyone have an opinion of this facility. I'm thinking to taking my wife there for 10th anniversary. Anyone use the SPA there? What about shopping? Rental car, etc? Thanks for any input.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:54 pm

I personally liked this property very much (my most recent stay was in Jan or Feb), but recall someone here said they had some problems there. It is only a couple of years old, and although the rooms were pretty small (~300 sq. ft.), the furnishings were nice and the beds were extremely comfortable.

I was upgraded to the executive level as Gold on my two stays there (first stay was priceline and second was regular rate-both stays were for weekend getaways), although the lounge only offered a small breakfast each day, I was also given two drink coupons for the bar downstairs. If I recall correctly, the workout facilities were not extensive and there was a small pool outside. As far as the area is concerned, there are many shops and restaurants within walking distance of the property. Parking was at least $20 a night.

Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MikesMiles:
does anyone have an opinion of this facility. I'm thinking to taking my wife there for 10th anniversary. Anyone use the SPA there? What about shopping? Rental car, etc? Thanks for any input.</font>
If you are going there just for a few days, I would forgo the rental car. The Gaslamp area is full of great places to eat, Horton Plaza is just down the road and very close to the bay. You can get a shuttle from the airport or cab and just walk around for the time you are there. With the cost of a rental car and the parking, It would add up very fast for a car sitting in the parking area.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:49 pm
SST

Let me also echo the "skip the car" comment. Get one downtown one day for your driving, and then dump it back with the rental company. If you need one again, do it again. No need to pay $40+$20 parking at night, plus gas, plus parking wherever you go. Downtown is about $6 by cab from the airport, maybe $8. Plenty to see/do closeby the hotel (Gaslamp dist., shopping, decent restaurants, a museum or two if I remember right, cigar factory, and plenty else just a short cab ride away -zoo, etc...-) Plan your outings in the car, and just get one for the day you need it. Trolley is right nearby, too.

I liked this hotel. It's pretty contemporary and boutique-like, so if you're into Grande Dames, this aint it. But the place fits my idea of modern and polished. Helpful staff, if I remember right. Last time I stayed was about a year ago.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Cool Museum/Hotel Promo in San Diego

Saint Peter and the Vatican: The Legacy of the Popes is a once-in-a-lifetime exhibition at the San Diego Musuem of Art that explores the 2,000 year history of the papacy. It includes important historical objects, precious liturgical items, rare documents, and spectacular works of art, many of which have never left the Vatican or been on public view. Tens of thousands of visitors have toured the exhibition which runs trough September 6th.

The Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter is offering one-night accomodations for two, a pair of exhibition tickets (worth $36), and a $25 hotel restaurant gift certificate starting at $189 per night. For reservations call 888 779-6370 and ask for promotional code P7.

Last edited by FrAAmer; Jun 29, 2004 at 8:02 pm Reason: typo!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.