Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Washington, District of Columbia {US-DC}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Washington, District of Columbia {US-DC}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:56 am

I liked the Hilton Old Town Alexandria. Right next to subway and trains, very convenient from DCA, restaurants in the area and good free breakfast buffet including cooked to order items.

Edit: Looks like I misread the OP and they want to stay in DC proper. I still would probably look into Alexandria because it's cheaper and an easy subway ride to the attractions.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by Yllanes
I liked the Hilton Old Town Alexandria. Right next to subway and trains, very convenient from DCA, restaurants in the area and good free breakfast buffet including cooked to order items.

Edit: Looks like I misread the OP and they want to stay in DC proper. I still would probably look into Alexandria because it's cheaper and an easy subway ride to the attractions.
I concur with Yllanes. If you're willing to be a little bit south of DC, the Hilton Old Town is a good property. I've been spending about 80 nights per year there for the last several years, so it's like my second home. Besides being easy to get to DC, it's a reasonable walk or free trolley ride to the Old Town Alexandria area near to the river, featuring lots of restaurants and some sightseeing opportunities.

Last edited by jefftiger; Jan 11, 2017 at 6:42 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:16 pm

What time of year, or, better yet, what specific dates? D.C. rates are very volatile. Hit it right and they can be dirt cheap, and in those instances I'd never advise anyone to redeem. So please just ensure that no matter what you have shopped cash rates. That, combined with your points/cash budget, also really dictates where you would want to stay. If it's an expensive time of year, then the Alexandria and DCA/Crystal City properties are very good options. If not, then you may as well stay downtown. The most relevant question is - how much do you want to pay?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:26 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
We will be there in early March.

We are staying in Arlington for his conference so really want to stay in DC for vacation portion.

Planning to use points not cash.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just have to chime in to also recommend the Hilton Old Town Alexandria. Nice property with great staff and right next to the Metro for an easy zip into DC and there is plenty in walking distance. Rooms are good sized and excellent shape and windows are well sound proofed.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by wharvey

We are staying in Arlington for his conference so really want to stay in DC for vacation portion.

Hilton Garden Inn at McPherson metro stop is 10 minute walk from the White House and popular bar and dining establishments. Also, right across the street is the metro with access to orange, blue and silver lines.

Cooked to order free breakfast for Diamond and Gold, clean rooms and friendly front desk.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey

Right, I read your original post; was just indicating that sometimes there is a misalignment between point redemption levels and cash rates that can be exploited by someone who cares about the value they get for their points.

However, since you provided rough dates, a quick search indicates that the properties are implementing "new administration pricing" at that point, so you'd probably be well-advised to use points as you plan.

A review of the various property threads and the D.C. thread will indicate the features of the different properties.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
You also asked this question in the Marriott forum. DC is a Marriott town, so you'll do better to follow the advice you got over there.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
DC is a Marriott town, so you'll do better to follow the advice you got over there.
OK, now this has me curious - what makes DC a "Marriott town"? If you're talking at the high end I get it, with a JW and two RCs vs. no Conrad (yet) or WA, but I don't think that's enough to declare their ownership of the whole region. Go ahead, shoot, I'm listening, and maybe the folks at Hilton corporate in McLean are too.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Well, I also include the nearby VA and MD suburbs, and there are just a gazillion full-service Marriott properties (including the aforementioned JW and RCs, Renaissance, Autograph, etc.). I'm not a limited-service guy, but there are a double gazillion if you include the Courtyards, Fairfields, etc. I just don't think Hilton is even close in terms of the number of rooms, or (as you pointed out) quality of hotels at the higher end.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
OK, now this has me curious - what makes DC a "Marriott town"? If you're talking at the high end I get it, with a JW and two RCs vs. no Conrad (yet) or WA, but I don't think that's enough to declare their ownership of the whole region. Go ahead, shoot, I'm listening, and maybe the folks at Hilton corporate in McLean are too.
Speaking of Corporate over in McLean, the McLean Hilton two doors down from them is actually a nice weekend place when the rates are low. I would never recommend it for someone visiting DC, but those of us Virginians such as myself who pop up to NoVa for the weekend, its a nice stay. No its, not a Waldorf or Conrad, but its a nice Hilton.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:26 pm

Since DC is a international town, you would think a Conrad might be a nice fit since I consider it the International HHonors brand since there are way, way more Conrads overseas than the US.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:29 pm

Also, Hilton used to be headquartered in California (Beverly Hills to be specific) prior to Blackstone buying them at which point they made a pretty material money saving move of changing the headquarters to McLean, Virginia. That was only a decade ago.

Sorry to go off topic
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
Since DC is a international town, you would think a Conrad might be a nice fit since I consider it the International HHonors brand since there are way, way more Conrads overseas than the US.
They're building it! Broke ground last summer and will come online in 2019 supposedly. It will be in CityCenter with all the other shiny new expensive stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
They're building it! Broke ground last summer and will come online in 2019 supposedly. It will be in CityCenter with all the other shiny new expensive stuff.
That is great news, I have become a very big fan of the Conrad experience/brand. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.