Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-VA} (was DTree)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-VA} (was DTree)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2003, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
The hotel was renovated about 6 years ago, I believe. At that time, I was living over in Lynchburg and a big deal was made about it in the press.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:24 am

Programs: AA LT Plat 2.6M, HH DIA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbmaury:
People laugh when I tell them, but this is my FAVORITE Hotel in the Hilton chain.</font>
I agree completely. I was pleasantly surprised by the service level and the charming rooms in the old building, most rooms are different so ask to to see a few before accepting one. The HH lounge was great, excellent food and drink and the attendant, I forget her name, was absolutely the best.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Doubletree Roanoke Conf Ctr Hotel

We stayed at this property on Sun night while driving down from PA to GA. Lobby is elegant but since we weren't sleeping there, doesn't matter much. Of the 7 flrs, they gave us a room in the middle of a long corridor on the 3rd floor. Apparently the room wasn't upgraded and the hotel was only 1/3 full that night. When asked, I was told that UG wasn't available. No extra amenities were given to us as HHonors Gold. The bathroom has no place to put our clothes. The sink is one of those stand-alones with no countertop and no space to put a cup to rinse. In the morning, despite putting up a "Do Not Disturb" sign, a housekeeper knocked on our door at 8:50a and the same housekeeper asked my wife when we are checking out when we returned from our little stroll of the hotel grounds at 10a. While strolling around the 1st floor in the morning, we found the executive lounge where there is a bunch of room on that particular wing of the hotel. I was so p***ed off. No one told us of this area at check-in. When we went in, "breakfast" consists of some canned juice and cold bagels. We didn't bother with that stuff. I wonder if I should take this issue up with the hotel. The hotel does have some history being owned by the railroad and all but not much personal service to speak of. In fact, I think they are trying to get us out asap.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by eddie1973
We stayed at this property on Sun night while driving down from PA to GA. Lobby is elegant but since we weren't sleeping there, doesn't matter much. Of the 7 flrs, they gave us a room in the middle of a long corridor on the 3rd floor. Apparently the room wasn't upgraded and the hotel was only 1/3 full that night. When asked, I was told that UG wasn't available. No extra amenities were given to us as HHonors Gold. The bathroom has no place to put our clothes. The sink is one of those stand-alones with no countertop and no space to put a cup to rinse. In the morning, despite putting up a "Do Not Disturb" sign, a housekeeper knocked on our door at 8:50a and the same housekeeper asked my wife when we are checking out when we returned from our little stroll of the hotel grounds at 10a. While strolling around the 1st floor in the morning, we found the executive lounge where there is a bunch of room on that particular wing of the hotel. I was so p***ed off. No one told us of this area at check-in. When we went in, "breakfast" consists of some canned juice and cold bagels. We didn't bother with that stuff. I wonder if I should take this issue up with the hotel. The hotel does have some history being owned by the railroad and all but not much personal service to speak of. In fact, I think they are trying to get us out asap.

Did you say anything at checkout? You don't mention but is the Lounge area open on weekends? Why don't you write the hotel and copy [email protected] and [email protected]. Making Hilton aware of this, will spare another Flyertalker from being pissed off.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:24 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
Agree with the OP about this hotel. We had the "pleasure" of staying at the Roanoker during a VT home game. I had to ask for breakfast coupons and cookies. The service from the staff was ok, but not anything to write home about. We live in a big 10 college town so I was not expecting anything special, just decent service.

We were back in town again this summer, and despite having the chance to stay at the Roanoker, we decided to stay at another Hilton property.

j
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:37 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Any more recent reviews of this property?

The posts from 2002 - 2003 are all glowing while the posts in the thread are 180 degrees opposite. Would appreciate any more recent comments ...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:11 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
In the interest of completeness, here's my post-stay

Hotel Roanoke review
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Stayed at the Roanoke Doubletree last week. Was assigned a basic room and when I asked as a Diamond if perhaps I could have an executive floor room I was told that the executive floor was considered "a hotel within a hotel." When I asked to chat with a manager I was given an executive floor room as "an exception." The room turned out to be very ordinary. If the standard rooms are worse than this I am glad I was not staying in one. The breakfast in the executive lounge was worse than the average Hampton Inn fare. I will say the historic public areas in the hotel were charming.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Recent Stay. HH Gold. Complimentary Airport shuttle ( Red Ford Van) called from phone in baggage claim at ROA, dial #10, pickup at curb of door 4. Received cookie on checkin. Low govt. per-diem rate room. Given room on 4th floor, not in exec wing but the room is very large. I asked about lounge and received a green postcard with location and hours. Was not provided till I asked but clerk was not grumpy about giving it to me. Good water pressure and hot water in bathroom.

Lounge breakfast today included assorted pastries, bagels, biscuits and sausage, individual cereal boxes, a bowl of diced melon and pineapple and a bowl of fresh fruits such as apples, oranges, bananas in appropriate states of freshness or ripeness.
Glass door refrigerator with 8 once cans of Coke , Diet Coke, bottles of Crystal Geyser Water, juices, and various milk cartons. Fancy Coffee machine that grinds and brews each cup individually but only Splendra, no Equal in the artificial sweetener category but I bring my own. They did have individual packets of ketchup in a drawer. Regarding a previous review that compared the breakfast to a Hampton Inn, I only partly agree because the food quality was better though the selection was similar. The fruit, was very fresh, the bagels were of a wide assortment, full sized, and tasted like real bagels.The pastries looked like they came from a proper bakery or hotel kitchen but I did not eat them. The lounge attendant was nice and did not hassle me about taking some diet cokes to go. It was not a full hot breakfast buffet but it was acceptable.
http://picasaweb.google.com/u600213/RoanokeDoubletree#

Last edited by u600213; Apr 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm Reason: add link to pictures of room
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:30 am

Dec 2009 - had a wonderful stay at this beautiful, historic property. Impeccable, friendly service. Given access to the executive lounge (diamond member). It is pretty worthless in the evening but a very decent breakfast - lots of good fruit varieties, bagels, croissants, 'sausage in a blanket', fruit juices, soda etc.

The rooms are small, typical of an old historic hotel, so don't expect luxury there. Spend time instead in the beautiful formal areas.

Highly recommend.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:34 am

I'm surprised they chose to brand this as a DT, since I don't consider DT a luxury brand - but it sure is a luxury hotel - not quite the level of The Jefferson in Richmond, but a wonderful property, great service. (Don't expect big luxurious rooms though - they are small as is typical in a historical hotel like this.)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
This is one of my favorite properties as well. I am a little biased as I grew up in SW Virginia. The hotel is simply gorgeous and very well preserved. Service tends to be better as it is/was run by VT students in the Hotel/Restaurant management program.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Repeat Stay

My family and I (4 of us) stayed there this past summer.
We were driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Great Smoky Mountains NP to Shenandoah NP.

We were given a corner room (2 doubles) with a large bathroom...plenty of space.

The executive lounge has hot snacks in the evening.

Played a few games of pool in the lounge with my kids.

Yes, a truly nice Hilton property...for the price, probably the best in the U.S.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I concur. Stayed there maybe 3 years ago and was UG'd to the Presidential Suite. Maybe it was the cute desk clerk or magic, but I enjoyed my stay!

Great service too.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Billiken
What a magnificent hotel ....
I had to look this one up -- it's the Hotel Roanoke and I've never regretted staying there.

Don't know if they still require coats and ties for dinner in their dining room, but once upon a time they did.

Bob H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.