Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old May 31, 09, 1:38 am   #436

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
I want to piggyback on this, because I have two frustrations with the HH Citi Signature card.

1. I signed up for the card in September and got my bonus points after the December statement in January (I think), with calls and e-mails from October to December. Whenever I asked for an update on my signup points, I was that I did not qualify or was asked to show them the offer. The reps seem pretty confused on the card details sometimes.

2. The Citi statements have no breakdown how points were earned, just a lump sum sentence at the bottom. However, the points are deposited in my HH account as 1-3 nebulous "Citi Signature Spend" entries each month. For the first two months, I went through my charges line-by-line to get a rough estimate of how many points I had earned.

I have mailed Citi multiple times on this, but I would really, really like it if my statements would contain the number of earned points next to each line item and the point category used. Their reps are not given the information to help me, and if I were given the information with my statement, I wouldn't need to contact them. Plus, I would not have any more extra brochures to add to my recycling pile.
So, I looked at my Hilton HHonors balance and saw a 15,000-point addition to my account, dated May 15. The title: CITI VISA 1ST USAGE POINT BONUS

Wow. Only took 8 months since my first purchase on that card posted!

If you have the HH Signature Visa, check your HH statements. The card's statements are worthless for determining how many points you're getting for each purchase versus bonus promotions.
NewsBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 4:08 pm   #437

Programs: Hyatt, Starwood, Hilton, UA
Successful point adjustment

I'd just like to update my complaint status, and mention that Citi finally got it right. I'm getting 6 pt/$ for HH stays, 3 pt/$ for drugstores/supermarkets, and 2 pt/$ for everything else. I just got a letter in the mail from them that they were adding some number of points to my HH account, and after doing the math again, it comes out right for the card I actually applied for.

Let's hope I don't have to go through this again next month, or this card is dead to me.
Wino Designo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 09, 5:46 pm   #438

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
So, I looked at my Hilton HHonors balance and saw a 15,000-point addition to my account, dated May 15. The title: CITI VISA 1ST USAGE POINT BONUS

Wow. Only took 8 months since my first purchase on that card posted!

If you have the HH Signature Visa, check your HH statements. The card's statements are worthless for determining how many points you're getting for each purchase versus bonus promotions.
A question since I just noticed the exact same post to my account on the 10th - 15,000 points for first usage.

I already got the 20,000 point bonus back in Feb (which was a little over 60 days after I paid the first bill).

I certainly don't use the card enough to get any "big spender" bonus - just a few hundred a month.

Is this new bonus post a mistake that I can expect to see disappear some day soon - or was there a provision I missed making it for real :-)
bj2757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 09, 5:32 pm   #439

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Caution When Using for Foreign Transactions

Just in case this was not mentioned previously in this very long thread, I wanted to add a note of caution about the use of this card for foreign transactions. Given that my primary use of this card is just for vendors which won't accept my Hilton or SPG Amex cards, foreign purchases are not something for which I would normally use this card.

However, there is an ongoing promo that purports to issue a $50 credit for European Hilton stays through June 30. With that in mind, I booked one night at the Hilton Cologne for late April. Incidentally, I still have not received the $50 credit but that is OT for this topic.

The prepaid room was purchased on April 4 and I paid my Hilton Visa bill in full on April 21. Before I did so, I contacted Hilton Visa customer service to advise them I would be leaving the country and to verify that no other charges were pending. I would not be using the card at all until returning back to the US one month later.

Fast forward to late May and when reviewing my account on line, I noticed that there is a charge for $4.33 on my account with a transaction date of April 27. After consultation with a customer service representative, I learned that this is a foreign transaction fee. Unlike other entities who bundle the foreign transaction fee with the purchase, Hilton Visa posts them separately. That is not a problem and can even be helpful. What is a problem is that they chose to post the fee as a transaction that hit my account three weeks after the actual purchase!

And, given the fact that I thought that I had paid my bill in full before heading to Europe, I could now look forward to a finance charge that would hit my account during the subsequent billing period. After all, my bill had not, in fact, been paid in full.

I just called Hilton Visa customer service and spoke to an unfriendly representative who appeared to be unable or unwilling to grasp the nuances of this issue. Although I did not feel it was reasonable for me to pay a finance charge under these circumstances, she just figuratively shrugged her shoulders and was unwilling to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. A supervisor was much more cordial and could see my point right away and took off the extraneous charge promptly.

I am still not at all happy about the way things were handled up to that point and will obviously not use this card for this purpose ever again. In fact, my long term solution is to acquire a "friendlier" Visa card to use instead, which is why a new Schwab Visa should be arriving in the new few days. Given that there is no annual fee for the Hilton Visa card, I won't close the account but I plan to use the new Schwab card for all my Visa purchases from now on.
LarryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 09, 6:20 am   #440

Programs: PC Pt Ambassador, Hyatt Pt (Visa,) HHonors Au (MP,) *wood Pref+, Marriott Ag, Avis Chairman's Club.
LarryU, I too hate the separate billing of the Foreign Fee at the close of each monthly bill--for your reason + the fact that we don't earn points on it ! IIRC it was part of the settlement of a lawsuit against the formerly "hidden" fee.

Also, what's new & disimproved about HH Visa this year is that it is now a Foreign Transaction Fee , not the old Foreign Currency Fee!

I just wish U had posted in late May when I could have advised U to:
A. Sign up for Account Online, then make an electronic payment for $4.33;
or B. Have a friend/relative in the USA mail a check for $4.33
Old Jun 24, 09, 9:47 am   #441

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj2757 View Post
A question since I just noticed the exact same post to my account on the 10th - 15,000 points for first usage.

I already got the 20,000 point bonus back in Feb (which was a little over 60 days after I paid the first bill).

I certainly don't use the card enough to get any "big spender" bonus - just a few hundred a month.

Is this new bonus post a mistake that I can expect to see disappear some day soon - or was there a provision I missed making it for real :-)
I noticed the very same thing. I also had to speak with Citibank customer service several times when I first opened the account (back in Nov 2008), and had to write two letters to get my initial 15K point bonus, and to get the 6/3/2 point per spend running correctly. June 10 showed an unexpected additional 15K points in my account: "Citi Visa 1st usage point bonus." This after the Jan 09 15K deposit. I'm not a big spender with card, either. Obviously, I won't be contacting customer service to ask about this transaction
The Bargain Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 09, 6:21 pm   #442

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond VIP, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino Designo View Post
I'd just like to update my complaint status, and mention that Citi finally got it right. I'm getting 6 pt/$ for HH stays, 3 pt/$ for drugstores/supermarkets, and 2 pt/$ for everything else. I just got a letter in the mail from them that they were adding some number of points to my HH account, and after doing the math again, it comes out right for the card I actually applied for.

Let's hope I don't have to go through this again next month, or this card is dead to me.
Just got off the phone with HHonors Citibank VISA with the same issues. I have an SPG AMEX that I try to use for everything, with the HH VISA as a backup. Last month's purchases appeared to total to 2 pts./$ for all purchases, but I also stayed at HGIs in SMF and LAX with what appeared to be 1 pt/$ bonus for just the SMF stay -- and that was for room and taxes, not just base rate. That's what I think was screwy about the "CITI VISA BONUS" posting. I should be getting another 4 pts/$ for the HGI stays, to "make up the difference", correct? Anyhow, the woman at Citi was submitting a dispute request on my behalf for the two stays, and my account should be updated in 2-3 business days. Like others have said, I hope I don't have to go through this again -- I don't do many paid stays at HH properties, so I haven't had to deal with this issue until now.
Old Aug 10, 09, 3:54 pm   #443

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Plt, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
It's been a frustrating experience

Just got my new HH Visa. I thought it'd be a good complement to my HH Amex, esp when there are VISA promos going on (like now). Anyway, during the entire app process online, there was never a box to enter my HH number. Then the app got approved. I called to see how I can make sure they got my HH number right, was transferred here and there many times. No one could even tell me what HH number they have on file or how they got it! They said, "wait till you get the actual card, it'll tell you."
Well, just got the card today, and no, it doesn't say. So I called them, and had to listen to a full sales pitch about some credit stuff before the lady would listen to my problem. She tried to look up my HH number on file, and COULD NOT FIND IT! Great. She said maybe I should call HH. Why would HH know what Citi did? Anyhow, then she said wait till your points post. And see if it hits the right HH account. So it's all trial and error? This is incredibly bad.
It's the same operation, isn't it? The same one that runs the AA mastercard? What a world of difference!
choptliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 09, 2:58 pm   #444

Programs: HHonors Gold, PC Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
Are there different signature cards? Mine pays 2 pts/$ with double points for Hilton charges. I know nothing about extra points for gas & groceries.
Same here. My husband and I have had a Hilton Visa for many years, and are only getting 2 points per dollar. Our cards also wouldn't work for the current Visa promotion even though the front says "signature card". Are there two different cards? Ours are blue.
mareh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 09, 12:50 pm   #445

I believe I have 3 points for some purchases

I haven't tested this in a while, but I do believe my VISA Hilton gives 3 points for groceies/gas/drugstores. However, I have never tried it as I never been to a grocery store, gas station or a drug store that did not take my HH AMEX. In that case, AMEX gives 6 points, so I don't even consider using VISA. I did find out that a lot of dry cleaners do not accept AMEX, so that is my go to card there.
PedroNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 09, 12:25 pm   #446
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red
Citi doesn't want my HH business

I guess Citibank noticed that I have gone from 0 balance to maintaining a small balance. I just got a letter from them raising my APR on purchases from 19.99% to 23.99%, effective 12/20. Additionally, the fee for transfers and advances has been increased from 3% to 5%, minimum $10. The balance transfer APR has increased to 29.99%.

I'd be better off at a payday lender or title loan shylock.

I have one opportunity to lower the rate to 9.99% for the next 12 months, by transferring a minimum of $3,000. Hah! Instead, I transferred the Citi balance to my Chase Marriott account using one of those checks that keeps the rate at 0% until next July.

Between the point deval and the credit card rate increase, I will not be increasing my stays with Hilton and will burn my remaining points before they are worth nothing.
Old Nov 8, 09, 11:30 am   #447

Citibank Card

Are there other people who simply use this card (like I do) as I do as a back up for the Am Ex Hilton Honors. Basically I just use this card as a back up for the AMEX Hilton Card (because I believe the rewards are better on the AM EX card) to get Hilton points. Neither card has an annual fee.

Are there others who do this as well?

Am I missing anything?
ddfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 09, 4:34 pm   #448

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareh View Post
Same here. My husband and I have had a Hilton Visa for many years, and are only getting 2 points per dollar. Our cards also wouldn't work for the current Visa promotion even though the front says "signature card". Are there two different cards? Ours are blue.
They changed the offer about 2 years ago. Now it's 6pt per $ at hilton hotels, 3pts per dollar at supermarket, gas station, and drug stores, and 2pts per dollar everywhere else.

I called them and gave them a hassle, and they updated my points scheme from the old to th enew, but I am not sure if they'd do it for you these days. It took a LOT of arm wrestling to get them to agree
vicarious_MR'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 09, 8:47 am   #449

Programs: AA EXP - HH DIA
Hi ddfr, I do the same. Works well, rotating them with my AA plat mastercard throughout the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddfr View Post
Are there other people who simply use this card (like I do) as I do as a back up for the Am Ex Hilton Honors. Basically I just use this card as a back up for the AMEX Hilton Card (because I believe the rewards are better on the AM EX card) to get Hilton points. Neither card has an annual fee.

Am I missing anything?
Abidjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 09, 9:15 am   #450

Programs: Hilton & SPG Gold, & every airline program that I can join
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddfr View Post

Am I missing anything?

No you are not missing anything, I use the Amex all the time, since this does not give the same number of points for gas. I only keep mine for another card number for rewards dining program bonuses. For places that don't take Amex for gas, I use the BA visa for the 5 miles per dollar.

JudyJFLA
JudyJFLA is offline   Reply With Quote