Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego/Del Mar {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:01 pm

I stayed at the Del Mar Hilton a few weeks ago. I booked via Expedia becaue the Hilton website showed no availability at the time of my booking.

During check-in I asked the check-in person if she had my Gold HH# in her computer system. She told me no, and because the reservation was via Expedia that I would receive no points, no upgraded room, no breakfast coupon, no water, etc. (Somehow I did end up with the HH points for the stay). She than placed this non-smoker in a room that reaked of cigarette smoke.

I will never visit the Hilton Del Mar again.

I had a great stay at the San Diego Hilton Doubletree Golf resort, and will go back to that property.

[This message has been edited by seajac03 (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Oh, I forgot the water is turned off for 3 hours every day in the afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!
Notice in the temporary lobby, on the check in desk.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond; SPG - Gold
Mini Trip Report - Gold VIP Upgrade to Del Mar Suite

I stayed my first stay as a new Gold VIP last week at the Hilton Del Mar in San Diego. I have stayed there many times as a Silver and have always been treated very well. And, I must say... it was a great new start as a Gold!

Because of what I had learned on this Forum, I checked my reservation online before checking into the hotel and noticed that they had changed my reservation to a Del Mar Suite. When I later checked in, the front desk person appoligized for not having anything available on a higher floor as I requested in my profile and told me that all he had was a room on the first floor. I began to worry that they had changed me back to a regular room from the suite and politely asked him if I was receiving an upgrade based upon my Gold status and he said
"I think you will be very pleased with your suite"
Music to my ears, my first upgrade and it is a suite! Sweet!

He gave me my breakfast coupons and directed me to my room... and what a room it was. It was a 1,600 square foot suite with Dining Room, Living Room, Bar and a huge Master suite and 2 full Baths. Unfortunately I was traveling alone so all the space seemed a bit waisted for just one... But I enjoyed every square inch - HA!

I just had to order room service that evening (could not let the dining room table go to waste) - so since I had diner with business associates off sight I ordered a dessert and some french fries. The fries were GREAT, but the chocolate cake was much better as a description on the menu than it was in real life... but the experience was still fun!

Used my free breakfast coupon in the restaurant the next morning and upgraded to a very good omelette - in stead of the continental breakfast. And it was only a couple of bucks for the upgrade.

I almost forgot... the bed was incredible... triple sheeted with very nice sheets, down comforter, four very nice pillows... I slept great.

Of course I called my office that moring and told them that I would be working from my room until my business meeting at lunch. I just had to stay as long as possible...

Anyway, I know that I got very lucky as Suites are not VIP Upgrades, and I won't be this lucky every time if ever again... But it sure was a nice start...

Thanks to all the FT posters as it was the tricks that I learned from this site that made my Gold upgrade possible!
Old Aug 28, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hiltonhhonors
Hilton Del Mar

Has anyone else but me been disapioned this summer with the Del Mar Hilton?They do have new ownership there and they now nickle and dime you to death. Parking used to be free to guests, now it's $11.00 a day for self parking, $12.00 a day to use your own computer in the room and upgrades for Diamond Members to better room has not happend in 4 straight stays.
Not only that, if the reservation was made through the Race Track for Horsemen, they put it as a promo rate and try to deny you the hhonors points if you don't call in and to the hhonors desk and complain afterwards. They also tell the Horsemand lady that makes the reservations one price and when you check in it's always higher. (Happened to me 3 out of 4 times this year)
Also you have to ask and almost beg to get a breakfast coupon for a discount on the buffet or a continental beakfast that is farr less than the breakfast you get a hamptons or Hilton Garden for everyone!
They were much more generous last year (previous management) with everyting when I was only gold status.
The only plus is that the staff for the most part is still very good and they have a great location, because if not for those two things the way new management treats loyal horsemen that stay there every year, they are going to have a hard time keeping happy customers, especially Diamond ones as there are many other options in that area.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never liked this worn place. Nicer and newer with *FREE* Wi-Fi and *FREE* parking at the nearby Hampton Inn.

MisterNice
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:52 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

$79 - Del Mar Hilton at Half-OFF

$79 - San Diego Hilton at Half-OFF
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?id=102218133
Source: Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by doc
$79 - San Diego Hilton at Half-OFF
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?id=102218133
Source: Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Interesting address this hotel has:

15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, California, United States 92014-1901

Thanks for the note, doc.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

The hotel is across from the Del Mar Fairgrounds, with Jimmy Durante Drive running between them. Jimmy Durante used to live in Del Mar and regularly could be found at the track.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The hotel is across from the Del Mar Fairgrounds, with Jimmy Durante Drive running between them. Jimmy Durante used to live in Del Mar and regularly could be found at the track.
"Everybody wants ta get inta da act!"

Thanks for the note 1K. You do learn something new everyday.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Platinum
Has anybody succeeded in booking this online? I tried using the promo code, and no luck. (Yes, I could actually *call* them, but...)
Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Would this rate be eligible to earn points on or do you think it is too low?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
Would this rate be eligible to earn points on or do you think it is too low?
Point eligibility has nothing to do with price.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Point eligibility has nothing to do with price.
Since the Travelzoo page mentions that you have to use promo code T3, I was not sure if that meant that it would be included in any of the excluded categories from the T & C:

Eligible Rate stays are stays at all rates except wholesale/tour operator packages, contracted airline crew rates, complimentary or barter rooms, stays on NET Group, Series Group or IT Group rates, contracted Entertainment or Encore rates and stays using airline percent-off award certificates.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
Since the Travelzoo page mentions that you have to use promo code T3, I was not sure if that meant that it would be included in any of the excluded categories from the T & C:
That was not your question.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Any updates on this property all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.