Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2003, 9:02 pm

A common complaint for Hawaii rooms is that they are small. A suite in the doubletree is large. The Hotel tends to look fairly nice outside, but definitely worn when one walks thru the hallways and elevators.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for $95 via a Resort bid on Priceline. There are also plenty of 3-4 star hotels that go routinely in the $50-range on Waikiki.

If you're paying out of your pocket, you might want to give Priceline a shot.

Check www.biddingfortravel.com for bidding strategy.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FFSaver:
The location is very good. Next to the busy, trendy, shopping street... [forgot the name... I'm not very good with the long Hawaiian street names ]
</font>
Kalakaua Avenue. I am good with Hawaiian street names. And it's only 8 letters, like Woodward Avenue in Detroit. Only sound long to haole because of all de vowel sound.

Old Feb 11, 2003, 9:17 pm

I recommend the Doubletree Alana over the Radisson. Stayed at both hotels and both were comparable in several ways. Doubletree is in a much better location and has the better suite. The only downside to Doubletree is that there is no self-parking. The beach, shopping, and good restaurants all within a couple blocks.....go with the Doubletree. &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt; &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt;

[This message has been edited by pacman (edited 02-11-2003).]
Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Doubletree Alana Hotel Waikiki Trip Reports and Reviews

Howdy,

Here's the skinny folks - yours truly was way short on points after 2 weeks at HWV on the big island (and 2 rooms there at that). So I need a cheaper place for 2 nights to wind down in Honolulu before we flew home. This place is as cheap as you can get. They have some point strecher days, but they took SS4 certs from me (45k for 2 nights). Here's my story:

1. Upgraded to suites without asking. Checked in way, way early (11am) and they did their best to accomodate me.

2. Rooms were clean and nice. Furnishings a bit old, but totally decent.

3. From one room we had a view of the ocean (although not a great view of it). The second room we could have - but we wanted it close to the first room.

4. Free bottles of water

5. Gave me a $40.00 credit to use at the resturant or for room service (calculated at $5.00 per day, per person).

6. Parking was $11.00 per day, charged me for 2 days, although they had the car well over 48 hours.

7. They are very close to Waikiki beach (we walked there from the hotel all three days).

Overall - no real complaints, it's exactly what's promised. A decent, clean hotel - that throws a few perks your way.

I had a fine stay and would easily stay again.

Only drawback I could see is:

1. No high speed net connection.
2. It's not a fancy hotel/resort (it's a doubletree, I got cookies, room service, bellman and valet - exactly what I expect).

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:03 pm

Thanks for such a clear report. I am staying there two nights in the next week on the front- and tail-ends of my TEEN at HWV. I chose to use the 15k PS, so it's nice to feel that they won't be wasted.

-Sabrina
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
How is the pool at the Doubletree (big, lots of sun?)
Old Jun 6, 2003, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Just there last month. Pool is average size, on the 3rd floor. Its on the front corner, so gets pretty good sun. Food is expensive in the hotel - especially breakfast. AS a Gold I got $10 off food per day (good anytime) and an upgrade that I pre-requested to a junior-type suite. When you arrive, notice the bright color tape on the last step/curb going to the drop off driveway. That's because of me. I broke my foot there. If you ever need medical attention there is a clinic at the HHV thats linked to the big hospital in Honolulu.

fp
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:28 pm

I have stayed there twice, including last night. Last time, in November of last year, had a room on the 8th floor. Kind of dated, but the price was right.

Last night I was on the 18th floor (of 19). Much nicer room, although the shower was small. Valet parking is 11$/day. 10$ off coupon for the restaurant, which supposed to be excellent for dinner. Of course, received the cookie.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 1:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by installer:
I have stayed there twice, including last night. </font>
I was there on Wednesday night. I stay there on business, if HHV is full or if I want to swap with HHV to get additional stay credits (2 nights HHV-1 night Doubletree-2 nights HHV).

I like the place. The last two times I've stayed there, they've upgraded me to a junior suite. The staff seems very attentive and you get evening ice and turndown service like in the Ali'i at HHV.

The views aren't as nice as from HHV, but on Wednesday, I was able to watch the fireworks at the Sheraton from my balcony.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 1:47 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Doubletree Honolulu - Diamond Upgrade - negative

I checked in to the Doubletree Honolulu tonight. The lady at the check-in gave me a cookie (woohoo) and told me "Sir, your rate is a standard rate, but you have been upgraded to an oceanview room". I said thanks and asked (since I read the posts here) "A friend of mine who is also a HH Diamond member told me that he recently got upgraded to a really nice room on the 19th floor" (that's where the suites are ). The lady just gave me this weird look and said "Oh yes, sorry - these are sold out". I knew immediately that she was lying. I went to my room - absolutely no ocean view at all (could see that even though it was dark). The room is very mediocre, TV reception very bad (almost impossible to watch anything). The room smells a lot like smoke even though it has a little note saying non-smoking room in it.

Out of curiosity, I just tried to make a reservation from this Internet terminal here in a nearby pub - all kinds of suites available for tonight.

I kind of understand if they do not upgrade Diamonds to the best available room - since that is a Starwood guarantee that HHonors does not have exactly in that form.

What I do not appreciate is being lied to.

------------------
Please have a look at my round-the-world travel blog and leave some comments - thanks :-).
Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:05 am

I feel your pain my friend. How long are you there until? I would march my ... (as all the t-shorts say around these parts) down and say, on what day can I expect to have my room upgraded.

No room for yes or no, just a time thank you. That is how I operate.

I wish you could have been here at the Sheraton Maui after we left HWV, we will be at HHV tomorrow for 4 more nights if you want to hook up for a drink.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 09-30-2003).]
Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:24 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Still thinking about staying here for another night - this place is so much more lively than HWV...but I would risk losing my F upgrade on UA for HNL-NRT and I would probably have to fly Y instead of C on SQ NRT-SIN...so I guess it just depends on whether I will miss my flight tomorrow morning or not...or in other words, how tired or hung over I will be tomorrow . But having a drink would be good! Thanks again for the offer to use your printer, by the way .

------------------
Please have a look at my round-the-world travel blog and leave some comments - thanks :-).
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:14 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I was just there last week (Ok, I guess 2 weeks ago now). Was put in 717 (A suite) but certainly not an ocean view. The room was large, but worn. Rather than wait for an ocean view. I just went and checked in at the HHV

Edited to finish my thought!

[This message has been edited by Bkniaz (edited 09-30-2003).]
Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Hmmm. My experiences with the Doubletree Alana have been much different. I've stayed there about 6 times and my experiences with the staff have always been very good.

The last three times I've stayed there, I've been Diamond, and they've always given me a "mini-suite" on one of the higher floors with a nice view of the ocean through the Hilton towers and around the Hale Koa.

Two issues:
1) I wish they had high-speed internet (since I'm primarily there for business).
2) TV receptions sucks (but I really don't care about TV when I'm working in HNL).

I do like coming back to the hotel from a day's work and finding my ice bucket full and my bed turned down. A nice touch.

Da Shark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.