Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Yeah, its extraordinary, much more expensive than Sheraton, Westin etc. (nearly 2x Westin on a recent date I looked at in September)

Anybody know why they are in such high demand? Conferences?

I mean, its not like the hotel or rooms are that special for the price charged.

There are lots of conferences, and there are many airline crews that stay there, Emirates, among others. There are always crew in the lobby when I am there. Rates do vary a bit, so I have always found its best to keep checking even after a booking to see if the rate has changed. It could be that the conference holds a number of rooms, and releases what they dont need at some point. The base rooms are less than special for the the price charged, as there is barely more for 2 persons and luggage. The relaxation suites are nice, and I have enjoyed stays in them at different sides of the hotel. You can be sure the crews and conferences will pay less than the rest of us.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I have checked into Hilton Sydney (in the EL) and have been given a Welcome letter addressed to HH Diamond members which lists one of the VIP benefits as "Complimentary Full Buffet breakfast at glass brasserie". It appears to have changed back, at least for Diamonds, or I have a very old letter. No upgrade though.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by turtlemichael

I have checked into Hilton Sydney (in the EL) and have been given a Welcome letter addressed to HH Diamond members which lists one of the VIP benefits as "Complimentary Full Buffet breakfast at glass brasserie".

It appears to have changed back, at least for Diamonds, or I have a very old letter. No upgrade though.
Please keep us updated.

I am still waiting for the poster above to let on where the $A169 rates came from post above?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I have checked into Hilton Sydney (in the EL) and have been given a Welcome letter addressed to HH Diamond members which lists one of the VIP benefits as "Complimentary Full Buffet breakfast at glass brasserie". It appears to have changed back, at least for Diamonds, or I have a very old letter. No upgrade though.
Nice one! Hope this is back to the norm! ^
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Please keep us updated.

I am still waiting for the poster above to let on where the $A169 rates came from post above?
I stayed at the Hilton Sydney on 3 - 5 July this year. It appears that their regular discounted rate using the Gold Medal rate is $220 AUD, but I was able to book the $169 AUD rate also via gold medal two days before checking in. So it seems the 169 rate is just to use up any last minute inventory.

As an HH Gold though, I wasnt given breakfast in Glass, and the rate was $29 AUD. I was given lounge access however.

I have to say though that I thought the service here was especially good, with staff that went out of their way to assist and greet. I would stay again, but only on a decent rate, as regular rates appear to be overinflated when compared with other CBD properties.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by OriginalName
I stayed at the Hilton Sydney on 3 - 5 July this year. It appears that their regular discounted rate using the Gold Medal rate is $220 AUD, but I was able to book the $169 AUD rate also via gold medal two days before checking in.
What is the "Gold Medal" rate?
thanks
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
What is the "Gold Medal" rate?
thanks
http://teamusa.hhonors.com/

Team usa - aka gold medal
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:27 pm

I'm usually happy with breakfast in the EL but, in the interests of scientific research, I presented myself at glass this morning. There was no query from the receptionist but I confirmed that, as a Diamond, my breakfast was complimentary. She wrote on the card they place on your table that it was "complimentary diamond". Breakfast was much the same as previously, very good, and we were still charged extra for specialty coffee and a pot of tea. Sad that bit has not changed. I'll endeavour to ask what the situation is with regard to Golds when I'm in the Lounge in the next day or two. So it looks like normal practice has been resumed, for Diamonds anyway.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'm usually happy with breakfast in the EL but, in the interests of scientific research, I presented myself at glass this morning. There was no query from the receptionist but I confirmed that, as a Diamond, my breakfast was complimentary. She wrote on the card they place on your table that it was "complimentary diamond". Breakfast was much the same as previously, very good, and we were still charged extra for specialty coffee and a pot of tea. Sad that bit has not changed. I'll endeavour to ask what the situation is with regard to Golds when I'm in the Lounge in the next day or two. So it looks like normal practice has been resumed, for Diamonds anyway.
Charged for a pot of tea?? Wow..
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by moa999
First stay here (Sydney resident) as a cheap rate of A$169 opened for a Friday night, and with the 5K promo was too good to pass up, also my 29th stay for the year as a Gold.
That's a very good rate for the Hilton Sydney compared to even most corporate rates. Good to know, thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Charged for a pot of tea?? Wow..
I think it's just for fancy teas, as well as coffee drinks e.g. cappuccino. Never been charged for good old standard brekkie tea. This is otherwise very welcome news indeed!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I think it's just for fancy teas, as well as coffee drinks e.g. cappuccino. Never been charged for good old standard brekkie tea. This is otherwise very welcome news indeed!
Ahh, that might make more sense (as I'm currently having my Organic Assam this morning Austin time )
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Ahh, that might make more sense (as I'm currently having my Organic Assam this morning Austin time )
Hope your pinkie finger is pointing out then!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If the tea comes out of the pots they carry round it is included. If they make you your own fresh pot with leaf tea of your choice rather than teabags you pay an extra $5.00. If you value your tea the individual pot sort, not tired old stewed muck, wins out. Same goes for coffee. Expresso, latte, cappuccino etc you pay extra compared with the stewing pot.

That they charge $5.00 more on an already expensive breakfast is the issue.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:53 am

If the tea comes out of the pots they carry round it is included. If they make you your own fresh pot with leaf tea of your choice rather than teabags you pay an extra $5.00. If you value your tea the individual pot sort, not tired old stewed muck, wins out. Same goes for coffee. Expresso, latte, cappuccino etc you pay extra compared with the stewing pot.

That they charge $5.00 more on an already expensive breakfast is the issue.
Fair enough. My main worry is not burning myself on the serving utensils at the buffet. Figure it's my penance for Diamond free brekkie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.