Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport {US-IL}

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport {US-IL}

Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Are upgrades at this hotel fairly standard for elites? I got some decent standby offers but I'd rather chance it for an elite upgrade.
Nothing worth having. The top floors are HHonors floors, but are no different from other floors. There is no EL. I have stayed there 10 times or so as a diamond, but never got anything other than a standard room on the top floor.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Are upgrades at this hotel fairly standard for elites? I got some decent standby offers but I'd rather chance it for an elite upgrade.
I got a Junior Suite here once as a Gold. It's your typical long room with a couch and coffee table in the center, bed on one side, and kitchenette on the other. Highly forgettable.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:06 am

I used to get upgrades to the junior suite. This hotel now stands by the "one-category upgrade" and I get a runway view.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Truffles
Nothing worth having. The top floors are HHonors floors, but are no different from other floors. There is no EL. I have stayed there 10 times or so as a diamond, but never got anything other than a standard room on the top floor.
Originally Posted by CMK10
I got a Junior Suite here once as a Gold. It's your typical long room with a couch and coffee table in the center, bed on one side, and kitchenette on the other. Highly forgettable.
Originally Posted by bamboola
I used to get upgrades to the junior suite. This hotel now stands by the "one-category upgrade" and I get a runway view.
Good to know, thank y'all for the information.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
HHD here. I have the option of staying at the ORD Hilton or the Doubletree ORD. Same rate for both. Which one would be the best?

We are arriving at the hotel around 8 pm and our flight the next day is around 1 pm. Are the "newer" rooms at the Doubletree worth it over the Hilton convenience?
Old May 28, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
HHD here. I have the option of staying at the ORD Hilton or the Doubletree ORD. Same rate for both. Which one would be the best?
We are arriving at the hotel around 8 pm and our flight the next day is around 1 pm. Are the "newer" rooms at the Doubletree worth it over the Hilton convenience?
To me, with a brief overnight stay, I would decide on another factor - dinner plans. Are you thinking of a really nice meal? The ĎT offers Gibsons, an iconic local steakhouse. It serves until midnight.

If you want to maximize sleep, I would go with the Hilton for the ability to walk over and skip the wait for a shuttle.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
To me, with a brief overnight stay, I would decide on another factor - dinner plans. Are you thinking of a really nice meal? The ĎT offers Gibsons, an iconic local steakhouse. It serves until midnight.

If you want to maximize sleep, I would go with the Hilton for the ability to walk over and skip the wait for a shuttle.
We arrive around 6.30 pm from Stockholm and have an overnight before a 1pm flight to LA.. I assume after immigration and such we'd be "done" at the airport at 8 pm. How bad is the Hilton connected to the airport? Bad enough for us to schlep over to DT? This is in July btw.

Last edited by brokenwindow; May 30, 2016 at 4:56 am
Old May 30, 2016, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
We arrive around 6.30 pm from Stockholm and have an overnight before a 1pm flight to LA.. I assume after immigration and such we'd be "done" at the airport at 8 pm. How bad is the Hilton connected to the airport? Bad enough for us to schlep over to DT? This is in July btw.
Actually, the Hilton's great selling point is its close proximity to the terminal.

For both hotels:

After you have cleared all immigration and customs formalities, you will be landside in T5 (International Arrivals.

You next take the elevated train from T5 to T2, and exit the train plstform to ground level.

Walk away from the terminal buildind, down a corridor with moving sidewalk. Here, you will see signs for all off-airport shuttles. Go this way if headed to the DT.

If you are staying at the Hilton, you are essentially there. Follow the signs to reach the hotel lobby.

So the main difference is the time that must be allowed for the shuttle bus for the DT, both on arrival and on departure the next morning. The shuttle distance is not super-far, it is more of a matter of how long you need wait.

For the DT, the dinner offering at Gibsons is decidedly superior to the "standard" Italian hotel restaurant at the Hilton. Follow the link below to see the Gibsons menu. As you can see, they offer more than steak; many seafood and non-seafood entrees. Very nice bar as well.

http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/ros...-pages-102.php

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 30, 2016 at 5:38 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
I skimmed the thread, but does anybody know if this hotel offers a club for light snacks and drinks? Have a quick overnight here and don't want to have to leave for food.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by TheTourVan
I skimmed the thread, but does anybody know if this hotel offers a club for light snacks and drinks? Have a quick overnight here and don't want to have to leave for food.
Post #496 (8 posts above) states no EL, which means Executive Lounge, so no. There's a restaurant and shop where you could buy those things though.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Feb 7, 2017 at 6:54 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Post #496 (8 posts above) states no EL, which means Executive Lounge, so no. There's a restaurant and shop where you could buy those things though.
Thanks, I missed that post. Much appreciated.
Was HH Diamond for years, switched to Hyatt for 4 years and now coming back this year and so far so good, but a lot to catch up on.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Just to expand on the above, there is a small bar area (maybe 15 seats at the bar?) that serves sandwiches, burgers and pizza. There are also many tables in the area that I *think* have wait service (I sat at the bar so didn't pay attention). 3-4 large TVs over the bar was also nice.

There is also a full scale steak/seafood restaurant at the other end of the hotel but I didn't check it out. And yes, a small cafe/grocery area slightly larger than an airport kiosk of snacks and wrapped sandwiches and drinks.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by karatelovr
Just to expand on the above, there is a small bar area (maybe 15 seats at the bar?) that serves sandwiches, burgers and pizza. There are also many tables in the area that I *think* have wait service (I sat at the bar so didn't pay attention). 3-4 large TVs over the bar was also nice.
When we ate there in January there was table service.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
From October, 2000:
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I've stayed there many times and found that it's most appealing traits are it's location and it's staff. They go to great lengths to take care of HHonors members. While the property itself is somewhat dated, I find it a great choice when taking those early or late flights into or out of ORD.
17 years later...

Man, you thought it was dated then, can't imagine what to call it today. AC that only works if it's warm out, and heating that only works in the winter. Yes, it's a simple task to get to the hotel, but it's surely showing its age.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by weezl
From October, 2000:

17 years later...

Man, you thought it was dated then, can't imagine what to call it today. AC that only works if it's warm out, and heating that only works in the winter. Yes, it's a simple task to get to the hotel, but it's surely showing its age.
Yes but I have noticed that most times the price reflects that. It is basically an older 3 star airport hotel at this point. I just like it for those occasions that I want to just walk over to the terminal. I have however had good luck with most of the Rosement shuttles being pretty timely so usually not a concern to stay out there as there are better properties and food options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.