Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2001, 7:44 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport

Have any Gold VIP's stayed here? If so, could you please evaluate the hotel re: room quality, decor, room service, staff courtesy, access to Exec. Lounge, Lounge hours, etc.

Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2001, 9:48 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hilton newbie ?'s: O'Hare, priceline,Gold,etc.

I will appreciate any comments to my questions and excuse me if my questions are too basic.

I am staying for the first time in Hilton next week after getting a Priceline bid accepted at O'Hare Airport Hilton.

What should I expect in this hotel? After doing a search I did not see a somewhat detailed review of this hotel and a very basic one at Sheryl's board.

After reading some posts re:Priceline here, I would be calling the hotel directly and ask them nicely to add my HHonors number in my reservation. Getting miles and points is far from certain I know that. Also after reading here I see I could probably get upgraded from Silver (I have and use the Amex Platinum) to Gold VIP status. If I do that I could get upgraded to an Executive Suite or a Tower room (if available of course). How do these rooms differ from the regular Hilton rooms? Are they just bigger with a better view or do they have anything the normal rooms don't? Is it worth the hassle doing that?

How is the fitness center? I see they have a massage therapist, how much should I expect to pay for a massage there (or will it be free if I upgrade to Gold?)

I see a lot of talk about the lounge, what is that like?

I see they have parking at almost $30 per day valet. Airport parking is at around $18 per day but there is a long walk, how long? I am trying to see if I should rent a car or not given that I will need to get a cab to the seminar I am giving.

Sorry for the newbie type questions, I do not travel very often. There is a good chance I will be doing much more business travel in the future and if I like my experience there I could choose to stay at Hiltons every time since they appear to have a very good Frequent Guest program (and who doesn't like to double dip?) and my possible future employer has a relationship with Hilton.

And what's the deal about the breakfast? I see so many posts about it and I am confused. After reading the HHOnors booklet it is my undestanding that I get some amenities (breakfast, lounge access, what else?) for being Gold (assuming I can get this) ONLY if I do not get upgraded to a better room, right? If I do get upgraded I get no other amenities given to me. Am I thinking about this correctly? Or should I ask for some specific things when checking in?

Thank you.
Old Sep 9, 2001, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Welcome

Do a search on "Gold". You get that for the asking and then you get 50,000 bonus points over your next 4 stays

Free massage - dont think so
A massage in a Chicago hotel is about $70/hr

Read the HHoners website, print it out and take it with you for your Gold benefits

If you get upgraded to a room with an executive lounge you get access to the lounge for bkfst, otherwise you should get a coupon for free bkst as Gold, plus, I think its 25% bonus points

Never statyed athat Hilton so cant give you any more specific info
Old Sep 10, 2001, 10:32 am

You do not need a car to get to the hotel, simply walk out of the arrivals area and you will be at the hotel.
Old Sep 22, 2001, 2:16 pm

I just finished a visit to the ORD Airport Hilton (9/16 for 5 nites)

...on a Priceline $40/night rate ($45 with added promo) - this was obtained before September 11 and appears to be often available on Priceline....

With my Gold card, I got
1) a room on a HHonors floor (7) not sure if it was anything special
2) room with view of (quiet) airport
3) 10% off coupons for restaurants
4) 6 coupons for free bottled water in my room
5) 5 coupons for free continental breakfast in restaurant (or same $ applied toward any item) - used it for equal exchange for french toast or a buck more for a very good omlette
6) free access to the fitness center (which I didn't use, but it looked like one of the best I've ever seen in a hotel)

I will be posting a separate topic with some ocmments on services that were discontinued due to "budget cuts"

Daniel
Old Sep 22, 2001, 2:42 pm

ORD Airport Hilton - "Budget Cuts" and Service Quality

I realize the whole travel industry is in trouble right now, but what I experienced during a stay last week at the Chicago O'Hare Hilton really surprised me. I'd be curious as to what others think about this.

I checked in on Sunday 9/16 for a 5 nite prepaid (Priceline) stay. I showed my Gold card not quite sure what they would do, and they did give me free water, free breakfast, a room with a decent location, fitness center access, etc. The rooms were clean and the facility looked great.

1) On Wednesday 9/19, the hotel officially discontinued providing USA Today newspapers for all guests without notice. In fact, if I wasn't hallucinating, the hotel channel had shown "Free USA Today" the night before but it was gone on Wednesday. Requesting a paper at the concierge deferred me to the front desk. The front desk told me that newspapers were discontinued due to budget cuts but they put my room number on a log they were using to track complaints. I asked for papers again on Thursday and Friday and received none. They did deliver a paper to my door on Tuesday, though I had to ask for the paper on Monday.
2) Last Thursday, I went to the main restaurant at 10pm for dinner. The posted hours indicated it was opened until 11. I was turned away told that they were reducing hours due to budget cuts. I was told I could order from an alternate menu in the bar. I waited 10 minutes in the bar which was too smoke filled for this non-smoker, and when I still had received no service I went back to my room. I called the restaurant and asked for a manager. They finally found a room service manager. I explained that I came down to eat at the restaurant and since they denied me service during posted hours I expected to pay the restaurant prices (room service is higher), get my 10% discount, and not pay a delivery fee for the meal. The supervisor said he was not authorized to discount my meal but offered to personally serve me in the restuarant. So I went back down and he struggled to serve me (he worked in room service not the restaurant so he didn't know many details there). I continued to watch about a dozen folks be turned away that wanted to eat and what little staff was there run madly around trying to provide service.
3) HHonors desk was frequently closed.
4) Bell captain / concicerge was frequently overloaded
5) Phones were often ringing 4-5++ times
6) Lines were frequent at check in and check out
7) When I pressed the "assistant manager" button on my phone, I got the front desk. I asked to speak to the assistant manager, was placed on hold for over a minute, placed into some training managers voice mail and then disconnected.
8) On checkout date 9/21 I wrote a long note to the general manager on one of a dozen survey cards I received conveying my concerns. Wonder if I will get a response.
9) I was told that Hilton corporate has lost $4 million in one week.

This property is allegedly a 4 star full service hotel. While I realize that businesses must make cuts, I felt like they were unresponsive and getting rid of the USA Today is below the service level of a 2* Best Western.

If I had paid a rack rate of $200+/day I would have demanded a refund. I got a great value for $40/night but I was disappointed with what I noticed as decreased service every day of my trip.

Do you think I had reason to be frustrated?
Was it reasonable that they cut services without informing guests?
Do you think cutting USA Today is reasonable at a 4* hotel?
Should their management respond to my concerns, and if so, what sort of response is reasonable?

Interested in your thoughts...wonder if we are seeing such activities at other hotels now.
Old Sep 22, 2001, 6:13 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>I checked in on Sunday 9/16 for a 5 nite prepaid (Priceline) stay.

I am here now on a four night prepaid Priceline stay.

>I showed my Gold card not quite sure what they would do, and they did give me free water, free breakfast, a room with a decent location, fitness center access, etc.

I called a week ago to add my Gold VIP number in my reservation. Surprisingly, the attendant asked me for my ff# so I can get miles too. I asked specifically for a smoking room with king bed.

>The rooms were clean and the facility looked great.

I agree about the rooms and the facility.

1) On Wednesday 9/19, the hotel officially discontinued providing USA Today newspapers for all guests without notice. In fact, if I wasn't hallucinating, the hotel channel had shown "Free USA Today" the night before but it was gone on Wednesday. Requesting a paper at the concierge deferred me to the front desk. The front desk told me that newspapers were discontinued due to budget cuts but they put my room number on a log they were using to track complaints. I asked for papers again on Thursday and Friday and received none. They did deliver a paper to my door on Tuesday, though I had to ask for the paper on Monday.

Yep, as Gold, I thought I was getting both USA Today and Wall Street Journal. I talked to the lobby attendant who confirmed, that due to budget cuts, they discontinued this. I was not upset about it, no big deal to me.

2) Last Thursday, I went to the main restaurant at 10pm for dinner. The posted hours indicated it was opened until 11. I was turned away told that they were reducing hours due to budget cuts. I was told I could order from an alternate menu in the bar. I waited 10 minutes in the bar which was too smoke filled for this non-smoker, and when I still had received no service I went back to my room. I called the restaurant and asked for a manager. They finally found a room service manager. I explained that I came down to eat at the restaurant and since they denied me service during posted hours I expected to pay the restaurant prices (room service is higher), get my 10% discount, and not pay a delivery fee for the meal. The supervisor said he was not authorized to discount my meal but offered to personally serve me in the restuarant. So I went back down and he struggled to serve me (he worked in room service not the restaurant so he didn't know many details there). I continued to watch about a dozen folks be turned away that wanted to eat and what little staff was there run madly around trying to provide service.

On Friday morning we all got a letter in our room outlining the changes due to the "dramatic drop in business". It outlined the reduced hours of the restaurants, fitness and business center.

I went down to eat at the Sports bar last night. It took me a long time to find a table. It took me a long time to get the waitress's attention. I ordered a small pizza. I asked for a glass of water three times and the waitress, I felt, she was doing me a favor!. She never smiled at me. The pizza was awful, she never asked me the typical "how is everything?. I am usually a big tipper but I gave her just a $2 tip. The staff seemed severely understaffed, not pleasant at all. I picked up the comment card and I wrote down my sincere comments about my dissatisfactin about my dining experience there. I will drop it in the comment box tomorrow.

3) HHonors desk was frequently closed.

It has been closed since I got here, the lobby desk is now the HHonors desk I was told.

>8) On checkout date 9/21 I wrote a long note to the general manager on one of a dozen survey cards I received conveying my concerns. Wonder if I will get a response.

I am wondering about the same thing.

>9) I was told that Hilton corporate has lost $4 million in one week.

They are clearly hurting. I asked what is the occupancy rate yesterday. I was told 70% which is pretty good to me considering the circumstances. Of course, I was not upgraded to an Executive room. I was given two vouchers for each day for continental breakfst (coffee, juice, danish, small muffin). I will make it 2 out of 4 breakfasts , which leaves much to be desired. I was also given 8 vouchers for free water (I guess this is to compensate for not having an Executive lounge and not being upgraded) which came in very handy.

>This property is allegedly a 4 star full service hotel. While I realize that businesses must make cuts, I felt like they were unresponsive and getting rid of the USA Today is below the service level of a 2* Best Western.

Well, they got to do what they got to do. I am disappointed I was not upgraded. Oh, when I got here, they had me booked in a non smoking room, which makes me wonder now if my ff# is in my record. I am afraid to ask since I am here on Priceline.

>If I had paid a rack rate of $200+/day I would have demanded a refund. I got a great value for $40/night but I was disappointed with what I noticed as decreased service every day of my trip.

I feel the same way. I don't see this Hilton as a 4*, #* at best. With the recent cuts, it's down to a 2*.

>Do you think I had reason to be frustrated?
Was it reasonable that they cut services without informing guests?

Come on, for $40 a night it is still a great value.

>Do you think cutting USA Today is reasonable at a 4* hotel?
Should their management respond to my concerns, and if so, what sort of response is reasonable?

I will let you know if they respond to mine. I don't see the USA today as a big deal.

Please let me know if you get points and miles. I know we are not supposed to but sometimes they give them to us anyway.Should I ask to add my ff# on checkout? (it's in my HHonors record). I am afraid I ll get someone who knows about Priceline deals and cut me off with getting anything.

I 'll go to the health club tomorrow. Anything I must try out, it looks like the typical stuff.

By the way,I paid $35 per night

George
Old Sep 22, 2001, 9:53 pm

George,

Well I guess we just crossed each other there. I checked in on Sunday and left on Friday.

$35 - wow, was that POST 9/11 or pre-9/11?

Yes, no doubt for $35-$40 it is a great value.

My point is that Hilton has decided that it is worth it to devalue the level of service in order to save money at a really great property.

I watched it get worse each day I was there. They have cut many staff from 5 to 3 days (which sucks because they can't collect unemployment) and are working them to the bone.

The fact that they don't deliver USA Today is merely symbolic. I guess to me it is as much of an expectation as soap and shampoo in a room. I go to a cheap hotel and I get a paper. Sometimes I have to go to the desk, but it is still part of the deal.

But what you experienced, as I did, was a drop in the QUALITY of service...being able to get decent service in the restaurant, front desk, concierge...basically they have a great facility and lousy morale and service. I got a better attitude at Club Quarters, a bare bones business oriented 'hotel' in the city.

It is nice they actually explained the situation to guests on Friday but they should have done so BEFORE they implemented the changes.

I never gave them my ff#, I figured that would be pushing it. I also didn't call in advance. I showed them my card and asked for a nice room. I asked for club access but they said they don't have it at that hotel so they given the fitness center, water, and breakfast. To my surprise, the food is actually quite good. I really like their french toast (even exchange for the $7.95 breakfast voucher) and a buck more gets you a great omlette. I tried room service on 3 nights as well and it was fairly prompt and the food was well prepared, even the french onion soup. My only gripe is $2.75 room charge PLUS menu prices higher than down in the restuarant.

IMHO, they should offer waived room service charge and reduced prices since non-smokers are forced into that small sports bar. The issue that you are fairly captive at that hotel because you would have to spend $15 on a taxi ride or have a plane ticket to have any other options.

I don't really care about the FF miles. If you get ANY it will be just for the $ you spend on food and related charges, not on the Priceline $ anyway. My main concern (anyone???) will I get my DAYS counted if they took my HHonors number.

By the way, was that $35 + $5 free $ on Priceline. That is incredibly low.

I'm also curious if this is a pattern at other Hiltons or other chains to drop the level of staffing so low to impact quality of service. 70% isn't a bad rate of occupancy but they were telling me that A LOT of meetings were cancelled...I saw near zero activity last week.

Are they done with all that silly sidewalk construction to add the heated concrete yet?
Old Sep 23, 2001, 2:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is depressing - I have a stay at $229 booked for October!

I'm getting in late (11pm) and leaving early (630am) so it's easier than a bus ride to another hotel, or else surely I would move.

------------------
Yes, I'm standing for TalkBoard too!
Old Sep 23, 2001, 7:50 am

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
Was at the ORD Hilton the evening of 9-22...sorry to miss all the FTers there.

No line at check-in or check-out. In fact, the hotel seemed empty to me. A 70% occupancy level sounds like wishful thinking. I was on an AARP rate ($95), and was put on the 10th floor, which one clerk said was their HHonors floor. Whether HHonors or not, it was a large and pleasant room. Only problem was a nonfunctioning cordless phone.

Front desk service was excellent and apologetic. I got the letter about cutbacks upon check-in.

Sat at the bar at the Sports Bar and watched the pre-game memorial at Shea Stadium, and had a nice conversation with a businesswoman from Minnesota...we compared sad stories about deserted airports, empty aircraft, and plummeting tourism-based economies.

Slow but sincere service in the restaurant (Andiamo) around 8pm. Sat in the smoking area and had my own private room.

At check-out, overheard a unhappy guest asking for the manager on duty...he was told there was no management staff on the property (Saturday) until 5pm.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 12:20 pm

I believe if you go to Priceline.com and bid for a 4* room at ORD at 35-45/night for your desired night you will get that rate at the O'Hare Hilton. I can't guarantee this 100% but that has been the trend. Just remenber, no cancellation, refund, and possibly no points....

No management on the property of a 4* hotel. Nice...
Old Sep 23, 2001, 2:52 pm

>$35 - wow, was that POST 9/11 or pre-9/11?

Priceline accepted my bid on 9/8 for 4 nights 9/20-9/24.

>I watched it get worse each day I was there. They have cut many staff from 5 to 3 days (which sucks because they can't collect unemployment) and are working them to the bone.

I agree. Today the cleaning person walked in on me without even knocking. She was apologetic and said that she made a mistake, she was cleaning the room opposite mine...I think that's what she said anyway.

>USA Today

I think that they should have cut down somewhere else too before cutting the paper. You are right it's the symbolic part of it.

>But what you experienced, as I did, was a drop in the QUALITY of service.

I agree.

>I never gave them my ff#, I figured that would be pushing it. I also didn't call in advance. I showed them my card and asked for a nice room. I asked for club access but they said they don't have it at that hotel so they given the fitness center, water, and breakfast.

After doing a search on Priceline in this forum, I concluded it is always preferable to call the hotel directly before you arrive and ask nicely to add your HHonors to your reservation. I was not going to mention anything about ff# and I was surprised that the clerk asked me for it. When I arrived, I also did not ask specifically about the upgrade thinking all along that I would get it, especially when I was told that I was given a room at their HHonors 10th floor. Well, I got a standard room facing the airport ( I guess a nice view but the thought of an airliner paying me a visit to say goodmorning did not really excite me too much about the view). The breakfast vouchers and water coupons came in nice. I am checking out the fitness center today.

>To my surprise, the food is actually quite good. I really like their french toast (even exchange for the $7.95 breakfast voucher) and a buck more gets you a great omlette.

Well I only tried the continental breakfast one day and I have not returned. I will have time tomorrow and I will exchange the value of the voucher for the omelette, thanks for the tip!

>I don't really care about the FF miles.

I do this time due to the 200% flight miles promotion Northwest is running. If I do get 500 miles, NW will give me another 1000 miles which counts as actual credit flight miles. Let's cross my fingers

>If you get ANY it will be just for the $ you spend on food and related charges, not on the Priceline $ anyway.

I think if my stay counts (which I think it will) I get 500 miles regardless of the incidental charges. Or am I missing something?

> My main concern (anyone???) will I get my DAYS counted if they took my HHonors number.

I don't travel too much. But I always Priceline my hotels so this does not affect me too much.

>70% isn't a bad rate of occupancy but they were telling me that A LOT of meetings were cancelled...I saw near zero activity last week.

Well this week I think is much more active. They told me that I was not given the upgraded room since they are all taken due to the conventions here right now (or they simply were saying "Can you believe this guy has the audacity to request an upgrade with a Priceline booking?"

>Are they done with all that silly sidewalk construction to add the heated concrete yet?

No, I don't think anyone is working on it, it's just there.

I watched the Lions football game downstairs at the Sports bar.I had the same depressing waitress. I tried the buffalo wings which were also awful. Combine that with another pitiful performance by the Lions and I am not that happy camper. But, you know, considering what we went through last week, it's not so bad.
Old Sep 23, 2001, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I also will be at OHare Hilton this Sat night, via priceline at about $40. I would guess a high percent of Priceline ORD bids end up here. As I have a flight out on Sun, like the convenience.

Priceline or not, the hotel should provide 4* service if it is really a 4*. I agree, USA Today is at almost all hotels 2* or above. The hotel works with Priceline to fill rooms at the rate THEY accept. Sure they do agree not to give miles/points, but not a cut in service or quality.

I have found that 75% of time if you purchase something and have to pay at end of stay (using Priceline for the room), HHonors gives you credit for the stay and $$ spent. Of course you need to get the HHonors # in, but that never seems to be a problem for me. Starwoods the same. Marriott not too often.

Old Sep 24, 2001, 7:44 pm

The fitness center is excellent. Plenty of machines and weights, great pool, awesome steam room and sauna.

I visited the Sports bar again for the third time, I sat at the bar to avoid the same waitress, had a great rueben sandwich and was served by a very friendly lady. I met a lady flying to Montevideo to work on Trade Development with the US govt, she bought me a drink courtesy of Uncle Sam, our tax dollars at work

On checkout, I was shocked to see I was charged about $35 for about 10 LOCAL calls I made getting online. When I told her that the price list in my room listed $1 per local call, the rep told me it is one dollar plus charge for the time. That sounds like total BS to me (unless it was in some tiny print I missed). I was running late for my flight so I didnt' fight it. Did I get screwed?

I used both of my breakfast vouchers this morning and got the all you can eat buffet for nothing (well just the tip). The buffet is excellent.

This morning around 9am I went down to get Wall Street Journal and USA Today. They did not have a copy, it was not delivered today for some reason I was told. I went to the shop downstairs, no papers at all. I asked at the lobby where I can get the two papers and they told me to try the airport. Unfortunately, I could not pass thru to the stands without a boarding pass. I go back to the desk and I ask very nicely "I have been reading the WSJ every morning for years, it is not at the shop, could you do anything for me to get at least either paper?" The desk person politely said sorry there is nothing she could do. After eating my breakfast I saw a guy with a USA Today. I asked him where he got it and he said it is delivered to his room since he is a Diamond. You know, it would have made a great difference if the desk lady could get her hands on one of them from the Diamonds.

I had a rental car for two days. Park in economy lots E or F for $9. YOu must take the bus and the ATS train to the hotel (at least 15-20 mins). If you park in the closer lots you can be charged $23 (happened to me the first night).

Considering the parking fees, the phone calls, the bad experiences and food (mostly) at the sports bar, cleaning lady walking in on me, newspaper experience, etc. I am not sure if I got a good value.

Now if my ff# miles I may change my mind
Old Sep 24, 2001, 10:47 pm

1. I always make a note to find out what sort of ripoff scam a hotel charges for phone calls. I've seen many that charge $2.00 for an 800# call - rediculous. HIlton had conspicuous signs in two areas in my room indicating $0.10/min after 60 minutes. I still think that is obnoxious but a lot of the large chains do that. Go to Econo Lodge Suites and you get free phone calls...go figure....

2. I see the newspaper thing bothered you as it did I. It is just plain cheap and cheezy and is just going to tick people off.

3. I NEVER thought about 'stacking' or combining breakfast vouchers. Each one of mine indicated an expiry date of the day it was to be used, wonder if they would have let me do it. I will say that when you CAN get service, the food there is some of the best I've had at a hotel at that price. I wasn't really disappointed with anything I tried and even their french onion soup was fairly respectable.

4. My point about this hotel is that they've taken an attitude that they don't seem to really care about their employees or customers unless you are Diamond. At the very least, if they are too cheap to buy you a newspaper they should at least make sure enough are on hand to sell or they should take the initiative to drive off and get some for guests. I never got a callback from the manager.

If anyone wants to know the name and phone # of the GM let me know, I have it.

Still, at forty bucks it is a deal... when I fly to ORD I work in Des Plaines and we have $9.50 taxi vouchers to get there - the food is good enough at the HIlton to eat there every night and enough variety (at least for now).

If anyone is still there, ask for Sanjiv, the room service manager at night and tell him the guy from last Thursday said hello (he gave me impromptu restaurant service after I complained about the early shutdown with no notice). Nice guy. The french guy at night is kind of interesting too...oh yeah he is from Cypress.

PS - I didn't think US Government would reimburse for alcohol...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.