Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Arrow Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao {CHN}

Anyone have any recent stays at this hotel?

So if you book the lowest award rate are there no upgrades to a higher room for Diamond members?

#
KING HILTON DELUXE Non-Smoking Room
Indulge in a contemporary deluxe room with separate working and ... Room details
Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel, China -Deluxe Guest Room
23,199HHonors

KING HILTON GUESTROOM Non-Smoking Room
DIA PT STRETCHER RWD DIAMOND ONLY 40% OFF STANDARD POINTS PER NIGHT LOS RESTRICTIONS ... Rate details Not commissionable
21,000HHonors

TWIN HILTON DELUXE Non-Smoking Room

23,199HHonors

TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM Non-Smoking Room

21,000HHonors

JUNIOR SUITE Non-Smoking Room

32,437HHonors

KING DELUXE SUITE Non-Smoking Room

38,596HHonors

View packages and promotions for this room
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: Lots
I stayed there in early April for a few nights. They were still constructing the executive tower so there were no upgrades for anyone. However they did provide a bottle of wine and a fruit plate in my room each night as a Gold. Also gave a coupon for one free drink in the lobby bar each night but I had three and wasn't charged for any of them. Was overall very pleased - good, new property.

Only downside was the location, it's a good 15-20 minute walk from the nearest Metro stop but if you have a car or take cabs it's fine. I'm curious as to why there are so many hotels in that area of Shanghai though. Despite being called Hongqiao it's not really close to the airport or train station. I think there's a big golf course near there but other than that it seemed mostly residential.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
I noticed there's no room with two double beds.

Originally Posted by anbhc
Anyone have any recent stays at this hotel?

So if you book the lowest award rate are there no upgrades to a higher room for Diamond members?

#
KING HILTON DELUXE Non-Smoking Room
Indulge in a contemporary deluxe room with separate working and ... Room details
Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao Hotel, China -Deluxe Guest Room
23,199HHonors

KING HILTON GUESTROOM Non-Smoking Room
DIA PT STRETCHER RWD DIAMOND ONLY 40% OFF STANDARD POINTS PER NIGHT LOS RESTRICTIONS ... Rate details Not commissionable
21,000HHonors

TWIN HILTON DELUXE Non-Smoking Room

23,199HHonors

TWIN HILTON GUESTROOM Non-Smoking Room

21,000HHonors

JUNIOR SUITE Non-Smoking Room

32,437HHonors

KING DELUXE SUITE Non-Smoking Room

38,596HHonors

View packages and promotions for this room
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:50 pm

Stayed here last week. Booked a Twin guestroom. On check-in, I was told that the executive "tower" was not open yet. As a gold I was upgraded to a twin deluxe room, given complimentary breakfast buffet at the Essence restaurant and was presented with two vouchers for cocktails at the Pulse bar in the evening in lieu of EL access. Vouchers did not say how many or what type of drinks we were to receive.

My guest and I visited the Pulse bar both nights during the stay and were given unlimited complimentary drinks -- any drinks we wanted. Each night we each enjoyed 3 drinks of top shelf Whiskey (i.e., Macallan 25, Glenlivet 20 etc.). Not too shabby!

Overall, we had a terrific stay. The corner room was huge and looked clean and brand new. We were given a fruit plate and bottle of red wine upon arrival.

The hotel and staff were great. We would definitely stay there again, although the hotel is far from the CBD and is a hike from the nearest subway station. We often had to take a taxi to a subway station and then take a subway across town to get to most of the main sights/attractions.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
I stayed there twice this summer, and both on points.

It's a nice property, new, modern, contemperory, and my family had a great time there! The breakfast is THE BEST of all Hiltons/DTs in China. Much much much much better than the original Hilton in Huashan Road.

I planned to go to the bar to use my drink coupons, but had to stay with my little ones...

As a diamond member, the first time I was upgraded to a junior suite^, after the front desk manager saw I was travelling with my wife and two little ones; the second time I travelled alone. So I was only upgraded to a King Deluxe, which is okay coz I barely stayed in my room throughout that night.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
The breakfast is THE BEST of all Hiltons/DTs in China. Much much much much better than the original Hilton in Huashan Road.
Agreed -- The breakfast was terrific and had everything one could possibly imagine. We enjoyed the dumplings and the noodles.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:12 pm

Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao Trip Report (with video)

MissBumpMe! and I recently stayed at the Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao for one night and were impressed. To share a glimpse at the rooms, we shot a short video tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1p4_khkKk0

(Please forgive my video pronunciation of Hongqiao, we'd been in transit MLE-SIN-PEK-PVG for about 36 hours and were super tired!)

GETTING THERE
We took a taxi from Pudong Airport late in the evening. The cost was about $40. On our return to Pudong, we took a taxi to the nearby Loushanguan Road subway station and rode line 2 all the way to PVG. This route was so cheap, I don't even know if we broke $10 for two.

THE ROOM
Although we were only in the hotel approximately 12 hours, the quiet comfort of this room helped us maximize our down time. We found serenity among China's controlled chaos, including fresh flowers and a bottle of wine. The layout, warm color scheme, and generous square footage of our room were certainly on par with more expensive hotel competitors in Asia. If we'd stayed longer, I am sure MissBumpMe! would have relished the deep soaking tub with its wide city view.

BREAKFAST
As reported by other members here, the buffet could compete with a Las Vegas mega hotel on breadth. There are options galore. The table service was also great, almost too attentive -- with servers clearing plates before we were actually done. Oh well, we had to go for another round! One minor warning: within 30 minutes or so of closing time, we noticed empty chafing dishes would remain empty. I'd recommend arriving for breakfast early to get the best selection.

ATTRACTIONS
MissBumpMe! was interested in the Pearl City / Pearl Market, which was a short, safe 10-15 minute walk. All we had to do was ask the concierge for directions and a map. Along the way we cruised through a strip of international-themed bars and restaurants. It was funny to be offered a margarita at 11 a.m. -- in China, no less. We figured that area must really come alive at night.

OUR RATE
We booked a pre-paid stay at Hilton.com, paying less than $100 for the night. It was well worth the price.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BumpMe!
MissBumpMe! and I recently stayed at the Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao for one night and were impressed. To share a glimpse at the rooms, we shot a short video tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1p4_khkKk0

(Please forgive my video pronunciation of Hongqiao, we'd been in transit MLE-SIN-PEK-PVG for about 36 hours and were super tired!)

GETTING THERE
We took a taxi from Pudong Airport late in the evening. The cost was about $40. On our return to Pudong, we took a taxi to the nearby Loushanguan Road subway station and rode line 2 all the way to PVG. This route was so cheap, I don't even know if we broke $10 for two.

THE ROOM
Although we were only in the hotel approximately 12 hours, the quiet comfort of this room helped us maximize our down time. We found serenity among China's controlled chaos, including fresh flowers and a bottle of wine. The layout, warm color scheme, and generous square footage of our room were certainly on par with more expensive hotel competitors in Asia. If we'd stayed longer, I am sure MissBumpMe! would have relished the deep soaking tub with its wide city view.

BREAKFAST
As reported by other members here, the buffet could compete with a Las Vegas mega hotel on breadth. There are options galore. The table service was also great, almost too attentive -- with servers clearing plates before we were actually done. Oh well, we had to go for another round! One minor warning: within 30 minutes or so of closing time, we noticed empty chafing dishes would remain empty. I'd recommend arriving for breakfast early to get the best selection.

ATTRACTIONS
MissBumpMe! was interested in the Pearl City / Pearl Market, which was a short, safe 10-15 minute walk. All we had to do was ask the concierge for directions and a map. Along the way we cruised through a strip of international-themed bars and restaurants. It was funny to be offered a margarita at 11 a.m. -- in China, no less. We figured that area must really come alive at night.

OUR RATE
We booked a pre-paid stay at Hilton.com, paying less than $100 for the night. It was well worth the price.
Nice report. I didn't watch your video because I don't have a vpn on this computer. If you have time, perhaps you could post it on youku or tudou as well.

A few random comments

-if you really want to save money, there is frequent bus service between Hongqiao Airport and Pudong Airport... Jing'an Temple also has a direct airport bus. I'm guessing you paid y60 to get to Longyang Rd, plus 50 for each of your Maglev tickets. A daytime taxi should cost around y160, and save a substantial amount of time, but at least you got to try the Maglev.
-the bar street you are referring to is Laowai Jie (laowai is a slightly derogatory word for "foreigner"). It is indeed fun during happy hour and at night
-I actually like Gubei quite a bit these days. It's modern like Pudong, but unlike Pudong, it has a great deal of character. My favorite spa -- Xiaonanguo -- is opposite the western end of Laowai Jie, there are hundreds of massage places (the ones without the red lights on the doors are "family friendly"), and my favorite swimming pool -- Mandarin City -- is just south of the Carrefour.
-that having been said, it needs to be said that Gubei is 25 minutes from Jing'an and 30 minutes from the Bund/Yu Garden by taxi or subway, so it's not well suited for people who want to do the tourist circuit
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Nice report. I didn't watch your video because I don't have a vpn on this computer. If you have time, perhaps you could post it on youku or tudou as well.

A few random comments

-if you really want to save money, there is frequent bus service between Hongqiao Airport and Pudong Airport... Jing'an Temple also has a direct airport bus. I'm guessing you paid y60 to get to Longyang Rd, plus 50 for each of your Maglev tickets. A daytime taxi should cost around y160, and save a substantial amount of time, but at least you got to try the Maglev.
-the bar street you are referring to is Laowai Jie (laowai is a slightly derogatory word for "foreigner"). It is indeed fun during happy hour and at night
-I actually like Gubei quite a bit these days. It's modern like Pudong, but unlike Pudong, it has a great deal of character. My favorite spa -- Xiaonanguo -- is opposite the western end of Laowai Jie, there are hundreds of massage places (the ones without the red lights on the doors are "family friendly"), and my favorite swimming pool -- Mandarin City -- is just south of the Carrefour.
-that having been said, it needs to be said that Gubei is 25 minutes from Jing'an and 30 minutes from the Bund/Yu Garden by taxi or subway, so it's not well suited for people who want to do the tourist circuit
Thanks, Moondog.
We're looking at hopping back over there in March.
We'll take your advice along!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:07 am
Suspended

Hi FTers,
Any recent travel update at this property?
How does it compare to the Hilton Shanghai property?
Is it a little difficult to get around from this Hilton as there is no metro nearby?

Thanks so much for your advice!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I'm at the property now. Somewhat disappointed. I'd let the hotel know I'd be arriving at 9 a.m. after an overnight flight and they noted my reservation and said they thought they'd have a room available and would give it to me if it was. But, if I was willing to pay for the hotel airport pickup (more than 4 times the cost of a taxi), they'd guarantee me a room when I arrived. Upon arrival, I was initial told they had no rooms available unless I was willing to pay 1000 CNY to upgrade to a suite. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the Hilton Beijing Airport consistently upgrading me to suites for free as a HHonors Gold and my treatment from SPG, but I was annoyed by the effort to extort money in exchange for what I was told was the only room available. Looking at the agent's screen, there were several dozen vacant but dirty rooms and at least a handful of vacant clean ones. Given I'd let them know, both in reservation notes and a phone call, of my early arrival, it would seem to have been easy enough to have cleaned a room. I asked for a manager who miraculously found a room with two beds she could give me right away. There's an unpleasant smell in the room and it's two single, rather than two double, beds (or the King I booked), but it'll do. I asked about lounge access and was advised that there'd been a policy change and they no longer upgrade Gold members to Executive rooms or give them lounge access.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by merrickdb
I'm at the property now. Somewhat disappointed. I'd let the hotel know I'd be arriving at 9 a.m. after an overnight flight and they noted my reservation and said they thought they'd have a room available and would give it to me if it was. But, if I was willing to pay for the hotel airport pickup (more than 4 times the cost of a taxi), they'd guarantee me a room when I arrived.
That's one of the most obnoxious things I've ever heard (with respect to hotels). Please PM/email me if you are interested in relaying your experience to Hilton China. I would expect them to offer you a sincere apology and also explain that extortion is not among the core Hilton values.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by merrickdb
I asked about lounge access and was advised that there'd been a policy change and they no longer upgrade Gold members to Executive rooms or give them lounge access.
Looks like it's time to boycott the place.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:38 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IggySD
Despite being called Hongqiao it's not really close to the airport or train station. I think there's a big golf course near there but other than that it seemed mostly residential.
Hongqiao, while it is the name of the older airport in Shanghai, is also the name of one of Shanghai's districts. I believe the Hongqiao in the name refers to the district of Shanghai in which it is located, versus the Hongqiao Airport. Sort of like on the other side, the Doubletree Pudong, in the Pudong District, is nowhere near the Pudong Airport.

Originally Posted by moondog
That's one of the most obnoxious things I've ever heard (with respect to hotels). Please PM/email me if you are interested in relaying your experience to Hilton China. I would expect them to offer you a sincere apology and also explain that extortion is not among the core Hilton values.
Agree! This is beyond shady...I have not stayed here (as I love the aforementioned DT Pudong), but now, I don't plan on looking at it either!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Hongqiao, while it is the name of the older airport in Shanghai, is also the name of one of Shanghai's districts. I believe the Hongqiao in the name refers to the district of Shanghai in which it is located, versus the Hongqiao Airport. Sort of like on the other side, the Doubletree Pudong, in the Pudong District, is nowhere near the Pudong Airport.
Okay, time for a Shanghai geography primer. (I don't mean to come across as a know-it-all, but on occasion it's useful to set the record straight.)

The Huangpu River bisects Shanghai. Dong means east in Mandarin whereas Xi means west. Everything east of the river is called Pudong, and this is a large area, which is why places like Lujiazui take just as long to reach PVG as parts of Puxi like Jing'an.

While Puxi has ~7 different districts (I can never keep exact track of this because mergers and splits have been common during the past 10 years), Pudong itself is a single district (I fully expect this to change within 5 years).

If you ever hear "Hongqiao" in the name of a Shanghai business, you can bet your bottom dollar that it is reasonably close to Hongqiao Airport/Station. In the case of the hotel in question, we're talking about ~4 miles to T1 and ~6.5 miles to T2/station. You will also hear the same area referred to as "Gubei" and "Minhang" (the former describes the neighborhood; the latter refers to the legal district that encompasses the neighborhood).

While I probably wouldn't choose to stay in Gubei if I was visiting Shanghai for tourist purposes, I am a booster in the general sense (really good Korean/Japanese food, spas, trees). It is a nicer environment than anywhere in Pudong IMO.

BTW, many Shanghai residents detest the term "Puxi" because it didn't exist before LJZ was developed in the late 90s. I personally don't care; at the very least, it makes FT threads about SH easier to comprehend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.