Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on one of the desired years shown below:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 1999, 8:24 am

My Gold status was screwed up when we first arrived at the PIP, but we were able to change rooms on the second day.

They gave us a corner room on the 34th floor of the Tapa Tower with 2 balconies, a view of Diamond Head from the small balcony and the lagoon & marina from the large balcony.

Huge wet-bar area, coffeemaker (with plenty of extra Kona coffee), fridge, sink, large separate sitting area with big table & chairs, very comfortable King bed and a very nice marble bathroom. The showerhead was the correct height with plenty of pressure.

The night before we left I complained about the phone charges to the Asst. Mgr. and they were removed ($31).

Unfortunately, we did not get the welcoming fruit basket that others got, but that's OK.
It was a 5 night Point Stretcher Award, so we really can't complain.

As Punki said, this is a top-notch facility, and the staff is VERY accommodating.
Old Nov 11, 1999, 8:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Well, here's my experience. First off, Hilton was unable to make me a Gold VIP in the three weeks since I responded to their offer, so according to the check in guy I got the best available room I was entitled to as a plain old Blue HHonors members, which was a corner room on the 28th floor of the Rainbow tower with two balconies, one facing the city and one facing diamond head/ocean (which is the confusing part since I believe there were Gold VIP's on the same floor without the corner room).

Here's what I put on my comment card:

Good: Great Location

Bad: You have to pay for everything (telephone surcharges, safe usage (though they only charged me for two out of five days for some reason), no Saturday and Sunday paper, no USA Today (the NBA box scores in the local paper sucked and I wanted USA Today box scores), coffee in the room will cost you, etc.).
Old Nov 12, 1999, 12:21 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Getting a king bed seemed to be a big issue. I know that we had a problem with it upon our arrival even though it was in our request. Another PIPer was complaining in the lobby also - got a suite but no king bed. The Japanese only like double beds so, in most hotels in Waikiki, the majority of the rooms have 2 double beds since their tourists outnumber our tourists (or at least they used to until their stock market bit them).
We also had just become Gold but were still showing as Silver.
Old Nov 13, 1999, 12:15 am

My experience with the HHV at PIP was outstanding.

My plane arrived at HNL at 0730 (AM), and I got to the hotel about an hour later. Try checking into a hotel in a resort area at that hour and see how you do most places. Here they said, "If you can wait a minute, we'll have something for you", and before 0900 (AM) I was in a beautiful room on the 28th floor with a gorgeous view of the beach and Diamondhead.

After I caught some Zs, I got up and went to the PIP Aloha party at the Sheraton. Upon my return, I found a fruit basket and a welcoming note from the manager.

Oh yes, two double beds instead of one king. As was mentioned earlier, kings seem hard to come by, but considering the hour I checked in, no complaints. (Anyway, I used the other double as additional flat surface on which to place all the "loot" from the PIP parties when I was trying to get everything into the small suitcase I brought with me, not expecting anything like this.)

You'll love it.
Old Nov 13, 1999, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Oh Yes, The LOOT!

Those of us with with three in our party (that would be Blonde Bomber and me) had three times the loot. Since we had brought a lot of, uh, silly string, t-shirts, smoked salmon, and gifts, all of which were consumed at the PIP, we had a fair amount of extra room on the return. It was still, however, a challenge to get all the loot home.

Wow, did our employees have a hay day with all of the wonderful gifts on Monday. (Getonboard (DTTB) contributed hers as well.) The girls especially loved the fans, and the hats and T-shirts (of course, we didn't share the precious and special "Flyertalk" or "PIP" shirts) but the rest of them, were a big hit in the shop, and everybody with kids was fighting over the cool little airplanes. It was like we had come back from the world's most lucrative "give-away" Trade Show. I can't imagine ever buying another pen in my life.

I think it convinced them we had been "working" a show all weekend. Again, many, many thanks to the Hilton, Randy, the Sheraton, Tropical, PremEx, Catman, Rudi, and
all the airlines, rental car agencies, calling card companies, hotels, etc., that contributed. It was truly amazing. Been back almost a week now and still glowing.

Oh, there is one thing about the Hilton that you need to watch--they have some pretty aggresive bushes. Just ask auh20!

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 11-13-1999).]
Old Nov 14, 1999, 1:05 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Just an update to my stay so far....I got a huge suite on the 29th floor facing the ocean on the rainbow tower...The biggest room on the floor with two bathroom...

Well done Hilton!!

Regards,
Empress
Old Nov 16, 1999, 12:26 pm
Commander Catcop

Gee, everyone got suites and nice big rooms.

I guess since I'm "single with cats" I got the run around. Or because I'm a sudo-Goldie.

Don't get me wrong, my room was fine, but I did roll off the bed a few times during my stay.

Glad you got a suite as well Empress.

Old Nov 16, 1999, 1:09 pm

That was in fact one of my best stay at a hotel for a while. I got a KING bed and NONSMOKING room which some of you say is hard to get. They extended checkin for me until 5pm, but my flight doesn't leave til 0030, so I paid 75 for part day room (They say it's 125 regularly and 75 for Gold member). Only down side was that the room wasn't overlooking diamond head but the view was still magnificant.

Once again, Thanks Hilton...

Regards,
Empress
Old Nov 26, 1999, 12:15 am
In Memoriam

I realize this is moot for you, Empress, but I have one other relevant comment since this is probably my favorite Waikiki hotel (partly because I'm almost always able to use those "useless" United hotel certificates). Some PIPsters complained that the hotel is humongous and a bit of a zoo. Which is true enough. But because its driveway is so long, and Fort DeRussy separates it from the rest of Waikiki, I've always found that the beach is much less crowded than anywhere else in town, almost as if the hotel had private rights (which I don't think exist anywhere in Hawaii). And the HHV's beach is pretty broad, unlike others beachfront hotels that are less than 50 feet or less from the shore. Halekulani is nice, but basically has no beach!
Old Nov 26, 1999, 12:50 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Catman: when travelling single I always (if no supplementary costs involved) reserve for two persons, sometimes even at check-in I will still pretend to 'be' two persons (it pays if breakfast vouchers are involved - with two vouchers I can often 'upgrade' from continental breakfasts to full breakfasts; also a second key helps me as a reserve key in my wallet).
Old Jan 31, 2000, 2:16 pm

Hilton Hawaiian Village

Can anyone tell me about the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Duke Kahanamoku Beach?How is the service etc?
Old Jan 31, 2000, 4:34 pm

Mahlo Friend!
Old Jan 31, 2000, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a nice property, but based on some experiences some of the Party In Paradise attendees had, their Front Desk staff could use some retraining.

Aside from what some PIPsters experienced at check-in, there is another little story I would like to recount. I apoligize in advance to Rudi for not getting his permission in advance to tell this tale, but I was a first hand witness to this, and since I was a bit embarrased by "my" Hilton's service performance, I think I have a right to recount the following.

This happened in September 1999 when I met up with Rudi and TropicalFlyer over in Waikiki for a pre-PIP planning meeting. Rudi likes to make his hotel reservations in person whenever it is possible. He likes to evaluate his options and the professionalism of the desk staff right at the property. Knowing in advance that this is what he is doing, I accompany him up to the front desk of the HHV so that he can make his PIP reservation for November. It couldn't have gone worse. Plenty of desk staff. HHonors position. Nobody waiting in line anywhere. And mind you, he wanted to book a top of the line room or suite. Full revenue...not an award stay.

Rudi "I would like to make a reservation for this coming November, please."

Desk "Sir, you'll have to use the white telephone just around the corner there."

Rudi "But I would like to make my reservation right here with you now."

Desk "I'm sorry sir, we don't make reservations here."

Rudi "I'm sorry...you don't make reservations here? Is this not a hotel?"

Desk "Of course it is. But you have to use the phone to make a reservation."

Rudi "Well, if I use the phone will I be speaking with a member of the staff here at the hotel?"

Desk "No sir. But the phone will connect you for no charge to our central reservation center."

Rudi "But I want to go over my options with someone like you who knows the property well. And my English is not so good. I find it better to come here to make my reservations here in person at the Front Desk."

Desk "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to use the phone."

Rudi "I have never been to a hotel that you can't make a reservation at the front desk. Can't you help me? There is no one waiting here in line."

Desk "I'm sorry sir, like I said, you'll have to use the phone. Have a nice day."

Now I tried to convince Rudi we could take care of this problem and that we should take this further and ask to talk to a Manager. But Rudi said he now knew everything he needed to know about the hotel.

So now you all know why Rudi did not stay with us at the Hilton Hawaiian Village during the Party In Paradise. You can imagine the revenue that Hilton lost, as Rudi ended up staying in an ocean front at the Halekulani, and I think you all know the prices over there! And the Halekulani front desk was delighted to accept Rudi's reservation in person.

It was the "Sales Prevention" training that the Hilton apparently gives their front desk staff that lost a good customer and future recommendations that someone like Rudi gives to countless other travelers.

And I was personally embarrased by the situation and mad at Hilton that Rudi would not be staying with our group at the HHV because of this poor customer service experience.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 01-31-2000).]
Old Jan 31, 2000, 8:45 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Yikes! What horrible service, if you can call it "service."

Just to provide some balance, my husband, son and I checked in two days after the PIP. There were probably 12 people in the regular check-in line. We were the only ones in the HHonors line and were waited on immediately. The woman at the counter was extremely friendly and professional.

She noticed our 10-year-old, engaged him in conversation and gave him several gifts - a backpack, water bottle, etc.

As for us, she presented our room keys and said, "I think you'll like your room." Indeed we did. It turned out to be an ocean-view suite. She also comped our valet parking for the first day. Keep in mind, we were staying on a point stretcher award.

The only negative experience we had was quickly taken care of to our satisfaction. The reservationist at the fitness center didn't write down my husband's massage appointment, although she remembered him making it. When he arrived for his appointment, the masseuse had left for the day. The reservationist was extremely apologetic and offered to call someone in to provide the massage in our suite within 30 minutes of the scheduled appointment.

Old Feb 1, 2000, 9:24 am

I was at the same property in November. I got upgraded to a suite on the 26th or 27th floor at the Rainbow tower with 2 bathroom and the room was HUGE. I asked them about an upgrade when I first checkin and the front desk told me "we have already reserved a very nice suite for you.."

I think with Hilton, it's always hit or miss. I've had some bad experience with some Hilton while some excellent service at others..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.