Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Loss of Diamond status due to incorrect Hilton agent info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Wondering what others think of this situation.

I called Hilton Honors in February of this year, as I was concerned about retaining my Diamond status with them, which I've held for a number of years now. Due to rollover nights, reduced requirements, covid extensions, etc, I couldn't figure out for the life of me how many more nights or stays I needed to retain it. Upon speaking to the agent, I was told I only needed one stay before the end of March, 2024, to retain it for another year. With that information, I duly stayed a couple of nights in March, so you can imagine my surprise to suddenly find myself a Silver!

I spoke with Hilton. They've listened to and ackowledged the recording of that conversation in February. They basically said I've been given the incorrect information and too bad. Flatly refuse to even considering rectifying their mistake - which I find bizarre. I mean, fixing their mistake is at basically no cost. Not fixing it means I'll likely just move on from Hilton from now on, as I'm not starting from Silver again.

Any thoughts? Worth escalating with with the likes of BBB?
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Meanies
Wondering what others think of this situation.

I called Hilton Honors in February of this year, as I was concerned about retaining my Diamond status with them, which I've held for a number of years now. Due to rollover nights, reduced requirements, covid extensions, etc, I couldn't figure out for the life of me how many more nights or stays I needed to retain it. Upon speaking to the agent, I was told I only needed one stay before the end of March, 2024, to retain it for another year. With that information, I duly stayed a couple of nights in March, so you can imagine my surprise to suddenly find myself a Silver!

I spoke with Hilton. They've listened to and ackowledged the recording of that conversation in February. They basically said I've been given the incorrect information and too bad. Flatly refuse to even considering rectifying their mistake - which I find bizarre. I mean, fixing their mistake is at basically no cost. Not fixing it means I'll likely just move on from Hilton from now on, as I'm not starting from Silver again.

Any thoughts? Worth escalating with with the likes of BBB?
How high up the “chain” did you go?
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:56 pm

Try the Twitter team...generally much better luck there. You may get tossed a challenge to get back to Diamond with x number of stays in a specific period. BBB has no influence over this type of issue, or much of anything else for that matter. If you strike out again, probably best to move on.
Meanies and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo
How high up the “chain” did you go?
I got passed around various departments. I ended up with someone from the Diamond desk but they were a bit agressive, if I'm to be honest. Now stuck in loops with the Guest Correspondence email team. Not sure where else to take it.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Try the Twitter team...generally much better luck there. You may get tossed a challenge to get back to Diamond with x number of stays in a specific period. BBB has no influence over this type of issue, or much of anything else for that matter. If you strike out again, probably best to move on.
Yeah, fair enough. I appreciate the advice.

Just feels like I've entered into a contract of sorts. Hilton told me that if I stay in their hotel for one night, I will retain Diamond. I fulfilled my end of the agreement by spending money with Hilton. They did not honor their end.

As I said, just seems bizarre that they wouldn't just say, we stuffed up. You can retain your Diamond this year but make sure you fulfil the requirements this year.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
If the twitter suggestion above doesn't work, I’d write directly to the CEO by name. Since they have a tape that supports your report, I would request an explanation of their position.

Unclear if you were Diamond why you be downgraded to silver and not gold.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Unclear if you were Diamond why you be downgraded to silver and not gold.
Hilton doesn't have soft landings
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It sounds like you were offered a fast track renewal offer and the agent didn't register you properly.

However, it also sounds like you aren't particularly engaged with Hilton Honors. Hilton sent emails saying that in 2023 everything was back to normal regarding elite status qualification. And you clearly had so few stays/nights in 2023 that you only qualified for Silver status. Hilton also sent regular emails in early 2024 about "Diamond extensions" for those eligible.

So, although it sounds harsh, it appears that you would be escalating something (which would take weeks to resolve) only to drop down to Silver again in April 2025. (with only a 2-night stay in March you are way off the pace of 30 stays / 60 nights)

I recommend just becoming a free agent and/or investigating credit card options that might give you a head start to elite status.
PG.backpacker, MP001, hhdl and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Wouldn’t stays in February/March been too late to effect the change in status anyways?
hhdl, PG.backpacker, kilo and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Wouldn’t stays in February/March been too late to effect the change in status anyways?
Of course it would, so I don't know what OP is talking about.
The only thing I can think of is the fast track, and even so, there would have been email from HH to the OP confirming that offer with the details.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:03 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am also confused on why the OP did not double check the information given by the agent with the information provided by the Account information in the app/website ?
PG.backpacker, general45 and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:06 am

In other words even if the OP was given the right information it sounds like it was too late for the OP to retain diamond via the standard qualification route. This would explain Hilton Honors resistance to ‘correcting’ the problem.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am also confused on why the OP did not double check the information given by the agent with the information provided by the Account information in the app/website ?
Because some people will HUACA as many times as it takes to get the answer they want to hear. If it happens on the first call that's end of investigation.
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Of course it would, so I don't know what OP is talking about.
The only thing I can think of is the fast track, and even so, there would have been email from HH to the OP confirming that offer with the details.
Originally Posted by kilo
In other words even if the OP was given the right information it sounds like it was too late for the OP to retain diamond via the standard qualification route. This would explain Hilton Honors resistance to ‘correcting’ the problem.
Sounds a bit like this promo that was offered in 2023 for people to retain status:
​​​​​​Last Call Tier 2023 Promotion

As little as only one stay between Jan-Apr 2023 was required to maintain status. I haven't seen anything about the same promotion being offered in 2024.
SPN Lifer, Sisosig and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.