Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 6, 11, 3:37 am   #1

diamond member going to new york

Hi (new member),

I am a hilton diamond member going to NYC in June (also DC and Boston), so I have a q3fn left and about 260,000 points. So am wondering how to make best use of these, ie whats the best place to use my q3fn in new york, i understand I cant get the waldorf towers, but other than that? Is the W=A the best place to use, bearing the diamond status in mind?

Also any recommendations for DC or Boston?

Appreciate any info or help!

Mark
the brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 11, 7:25 am   #2

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
For NYC, I would definitely go with the DT times square. It's an all suites hotel with a fridge and microwave. The breakfast buffet is pretty good and as a diamond you get the hot buffet as well and I love the location. You are near all the theaters and many subway lines. I prefer that hotel over the WA, I think the rooms in the WA are dated and you just get a voucher for starbucks for your breakfast at the WA and I like the location a lot better for DT. Rooms in the summer can easilly run $500 a night so great deal with the points and QF3N. If you are staying 4 nights and are a hilton Am Ex cardholder I would recomend going with the reduced point awards if you only have one q3fn since the 3 nights will cost you 150K points and if you use the am ex rewards you will get all four nights for fewer points and still have the certificate.

Not sure about Boston. The Inn at Harvard was my favorite hilton property but they are no longer a hilton property I really wish they wouldn't have lost that affiliation.

For DC, my favorite property is the washington hilton on Conneticut. Last time I stayed there I called when I saw no Exec Level rooms for the OLCI and asked my chances of getting upgraded to an exec level room and she said they were pretty empty and not to do an OLCI and they would handle giving me an upgrade and I got a nice 3 room suite (not on the exec level but I will take a suite anyday over the exec level as long as I have lounge access). The exec lounge is pretty nice, open weekends and they will give you access to it after checkout as a diamond. The location is great as well. Only a couple blocks from Dupont circle and lots of places to eat at. I also like the ES on 22nd, the breakfast buffett is good, the suites are nice and there is a nice managers reception every night including weekends. I would avoid the Hilton on Mass and usually when I stay in DC the rates are reasonable enough I would recomend just paying for the room instead of burning points.
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 11, 7:50 pm   #3

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I think the rooms in the WA are dated and you just get a voucher for starbucks for your breakfast at the WA and I like the location a lot better for DT.
Agreed, WA is dated and DT is a better location. But...

I stayed at the WA this summer with a New York first timer who rarely travels. The WA name means a lot to her just to say you've stayed there. Also the lobby is quite impressive. Also as gold at the time, I was offered two free drink coupons up to $20, gratuity included, instead of Starbucks. That worked out really well.
EmAAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 3:52 am   #4

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG Gold
Agreed. Waldorf isn't very good.

Doubletree Times Square is excellent.

Hilton Times Square is okay but isn't actually on the square.

Doubletree Metropolitan NYC is horrific.
moore1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 6:33 am   #5

I am also interested in staying in NYC. This would be my first time so I'm looking for the hotel with the best location and experience.

I read through a much larger NYC thread and there were many recommendations for the Doubletree Times Square. Location looks great.

One other question... my wife and I like new, kind of modern feeling (very clean or newer) hotels. Hate dated ones!! I figured since it's NYC, there would be a very cool modern/new hotel right in the heart of the action.

From trip advisor actual photos, I thought the doubletree kind of looks just average. Are the pictures I'm seeing doing it justice or is it actually really sweet?

Or is there another hotel that's still in a great location that may be closer to the style and new-ness that I'm looking for?

Thanks!
StangGT909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 6:49 am   #6

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold
[quote=jamesteroh;16169769]For NYC, I would definitely go with the DT times square. It's an all suites hotel with a fridge and microwave. The breakfast buffet is pretty good and as a diamond you get the hot buffet as well and I love the location. You are near all the theaters and many subway lines. I prefer that hotel over the WA, I think the rooms in the WA are dated and you just get a voucher for starbucks for your breakfast at the WA and I like the location a lot better for DT. Rooms in the summer can easilly run $500 a night so great deal with the points and QF3N. If you are staying 4 nights and are a hilton Am Ex cardholder I would recomend going with the reduced point awards if you only have one q3fn since the 3 nights will cost you 150K points and if you use the am ex rewards you will get all four nights for fewer points and still have the certificate. [quote=jamesteroh;16169769]

Totally agree on DT in NY.....Free diamond buffet for Bfeast is very good.
san888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 7:10 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGT909 View Post
I am also interested in staying in NYC. This would be my first time so I'm looking for the hotel with the best location and experience.

I read through a much larger NYC thread and there were many recommendations for the Doubletree Times Square. Location looks great.

One other question... my wife and I like new, kind of modern feeling (very clean or newer) hotels. Hate dated ones!! I figured since it's NYC, there would be a very cool modern/new hotel right in the heart of the action.

From trip advisor actual photos, I thought the doubletree kind of looks just average. Are the pictures I'm seeing doing it justice or is it actually really sweet?

Or is there another hotel that's still in a great location that may be closer to the style and new-ness that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

If you want modern and a good location defniiately avoid the WA

While not an upscale, trendy botique type hotel, I don't think the suites at the DT TS are dated by any means either and the location can't be beat. The DT is in the heart of all the action, you are an easy walk to all the main theaters and many subway lines and the buffett breakfast for diamonds is great. If you are going on pleasure, I would definitely recomend staying here on points.

The Fashsion District Hilton recently opened and has gotten great reviews. I haven't stayed there yet but have my first stay planned in 3 weeks. It is going to be newer having just opened but will definitely be a lot less room than the DT sieeing the DT is all suites and I doubt the breakfast will be as good. The reviews on Tripadvisor for the fashion district hilton are pretty good. If you want to go to the theater district it will be a decnet walk or you can just take the subway and you would be close to Penn Station which is nice if you are flying in or out of Newark for the train station to the airport.
Old Apr 7, 11, 8:15 am   #8
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are good things and bad things about most of the Hiltons in the city (well except for the New York Hilton which I consider to be one of the worst Hiltons in the chain). The DT Metropolitan has some of the smallest rooms in the city, but if you score an upgrade, you can get a great huge room. Same thing with the Waldrof, some of the rooms are so small you can probably touch each wall from your bed, others are huge suites, with a sitting area, dressing room, entryway, etc.

For me, if it's a weekend stay I usually go to the Millenium World Trade. It's not near most things, but there is a subway across the street and another a block away that gets you pretty much anywhere you want to go. I like that because the corner suites diamonds often get as upgrades on weekends are wonderful, and at night it's quiet so you can get some sleep without the street noise if that bothers you.

I'll echo everything said about the Double Tree in Times Square. You are getting a suite no matter what, and again you can score an upgrade to a nice larger room with a dining table, etc.

I don't think any of them would be considered modern, their standard rooms are just that, standard city hotel rooms.
Old Apr 7, 11, 9:56 am   #9

Programs: HHonors Gold, PC Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
I'll echo everything said about the Double Tree in Times Square. You are getting a suite no matter what, and again you can score an upgrade to a nice larger room with a dining table, etc.

I don't think any of them would be considered modern, their standard rooms are just that, standard city hotel rooms.
Hmmm. I've been staying at the DT Times Square a lot recently, and they have never upgraded me to a room with a dining table. I didn't even know they had any.
mareh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 10:02 am   #10

Quote:

Thanks!
If you are ok not staying at a HH property, if you dont mind staying on 5th avenue the Andaz would probably be a great choice for you. It's a very modern upscale hotel. I haven't been to the NYC property yet but have been to the one in West Hollywood and the furnishings are very modern and new. I like how the minibar items are free. They also have a policy of only 2 guests per a room so I think that helps keep down on noise as well. Seeing the minibar is free and there are lots of great places in NYC to eat at, not sure how much you care about status, but if that is important I think Hyatt will do a one time status match for a year.

The indigo could also be another good choice. I have never stayed there but it's only a couple doors away from the HGI in Chelsea and you can just walk to Penn station and the 1 line is less than a block away. I have been to the bar before while staying at HGI and the parts of the hotel I have been into are very modern and I have talked to people that were staying there that arte very impressed with it and it has great ratings on trip advisor.
Old Apr 7, 11, 10:07 am   #11
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareh View Post
Hmmm. I've been staying at the DT Times Square a lot recently, and they have never upgraded me to a room with a dining table. I didn't even know they had any.
They are the named rooms, think there is one on each floor. Larger rooms.

Think they are called Conference Suites, their website says they have 12 of them and two presidential suites with two bedrooms.

If you click on the room description of

1 KG LARGER CONF SUITE-TIMES SQ VIEW

they have a half dozen pictures of it, including one with the table set for dinner

edited to add, when I made this post, the link went to a picture of the larger suite set for dinner, they change the pictures from time to time so if this is not a candle lit table check the website

Personally, and I could be wrong, I believe that upgrades to these rooms probably disappeared when Nor1 upgrades were available, with 460 rooms and 12 of the suites, the odds of somebody not buying up and being available for a diamond upgrade is probably a million bazillion to one. Or less.

Last edited by cordelli; May 2, 11 at 4:47 am.
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 1:23 pm   #12

Programs: HHonors Gold, PC Platinum
Thanks for the information, cordelli! I've wondered all along why the DT and the HGI on 8th have refrigerators and microwaves, but no table. Eating at the coffee table can be a challenge. Even a small one would be nice, and it would easily fit.
mareh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 5:47 pm   #13

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Quote:
I'd recommend either the Hampton Inn or HGI on 8th Ave and 50th. Both have clean modern rooms in my opinion. Both are a few steps from the E train which will get you to JFK. I really like the neighborhood because it has a local feel. There are some pretty cool bars on 8th and 9th Ave and a Ray's Pizza which is perfect for a 4am slice before you go upstairs for the night.
EmAAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 7:44 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAAx View Post
I'd recommend either the Hampton Inn or HGI on 8th Ave and 50th. Both have clean modern rooms in my opinion. Both are a few steps from the E train which will get you to JFK. I really like the neighborhood because it has a local feel. There are some pretty cool bars on 8th and 9th Ave and a Ray's Pizza which is perfect for a 4am slice before you go upstairs for the night.
I haven't stayed at the HI since it has been renovated but wasn't impressed when I did stay there (it was an old hojo's) but several other people on here have and said it's pretty nice now. I really like the HGI on 8th, it has the best breakfast of any HGI I have ever stayed at.

If someone is using points though, I would recomend the DT. Much better value for the points.
Old Apr 8, 11, 6:04 am   #15

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't have to, but have the option of using points. Generally, the hotels in the 50,000 point range I look at are $125-200 normally but these NYC hotels are running $250-$300+ in the summer so I think that's an excellent time to get the best bang for my points.

It sounds like the DT has a unanymous thumbs up for experience and location.

I looked at the Hilton Fashion district and I would say that hit the nail on the head for what I'm looking for. Looks awesome! Google says it's about a 1 and a 20 minute walk to the area of the DT. So my question is, is the area around the Fashion district hotel still cool (I've heard the whole area is awesome) so does it not matter, or since this is my first trip to NY and actually kind of want to be in all the touristy-action type area would I still be better served staying right in times square?

Same goes to the Andaz hotel. I couldn't use points but that really hits the nail on the head for the style I'm looking for. Have 140,000 points so I'm not opposed to staying 2 nights at the DT or another Hilton, and using cash for my third night to check out a different part of the city. What can you say about the area around that hotel?

The main point is that I'm looking for a hotel that I can walk very short distances to night life and restaurants. I'm sure they all have that, but what's the best? I can imagine my wife wearing high heal shoes and not being a fan of long walks.

Thanks for all the help!
StangGT909 is offline   Reply With Quote