Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors account information security data breach

Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

Received this today from HHonors:

Dear Customer:

We were notified by our database marketing vendor, Epsilon, that we are among a group of companies affected by a data breach. How will this affect you? The company was advised by Epsilon that the files accessed did not include any customer financial information, and Epsilon has stressed that the only information accessed was names and e-mail addresses. The most likely impact, if any, would be receipt of unwanted e-mails. We are not aware at this time of any unsolicited e-mails (spam) that are related, but as a precaution, we want to remind you of a couple of tips that should always be followed:

Do not open e-mails from senders you do not know

Do not share personal information via e-mail

Hilton Worldwide, its brands and loyalty program will never ask you to e-mail personal information such as credit card numbers or social security numbers. You should be cautious of "phishing" e-mails, where the sender tries to trick the recipient into disclosing confidential or personal information. If you receive such a request, it did not come from Hilton Worldwide, its brands or its loyalty program. If you receive this type of request you should not respond to it but rather notify us at [email protected].

As always, we greatly value your business and loyalty, and take this matter very seriously. Data privacy is a critical focus for us, and we will continue to work to ensure that all appropriate measures are taken to protect your personal information from unauthorized access.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Diskin
Senior Vice President, Customer Marketing
Hilton Worldwide
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I got the same email from Hilton, Best Buy, Chase and about three other companies. At least I get to look forward to even more spam
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I received a similar message from Best Buy this morning that referenced Epsilon and unauthorized access.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Epsilon has thousands of clients (like 2,500 or so) so expect the list of companies affected to keep on growing for a few days.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Received from Hilton and Citi Card.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Also received from Vons and Tivo. Time for a new email address.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:47 am

Darn it! Received earlier from Best Buy and a few minutes ago from Hilton.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
I received the email from Hilton this morning and I wonder if it has something to do with the supposed 2500 points we were to receive on the "re-working the website" offer on April 1st. I clicked on the offer and never received the points.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:40 am
Suspended

Hilton

Originally Posted by donnak
I received the email from Hilton this morning and I wonder if it has something to do with the supposed 2500 points we were to receive on the "re-working the website" offer on April 1st. I clicked on the offer and never received the points.
Very good point. My points also did not arrive.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Considering the breach was discovered on Thursday and the message about the bonus points was not posted here until Friday, I'm guessing no, it had nothing to do with you clicking on the link.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
No. A 3rd party system was breached, not Hilton's website.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Considering the breach was discovered on Thursday and the message about the bonus points was not posted here until Friday, I'm guessing no, it had nothing to do with you clicking on the link.
You're right. My 2500 "hold time" points just posted.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No. A 3rd party system was breached, not Hilton's website.
Because the Hilton website is never up. Sorry had to say it.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:00 pm

It's stuff like this why I never allow my credit card info to be stored on Hilton's (or any vendor's) website.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by troyintn
Because the Hilton website is never up. Sorry had to say it.
hilarious....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.