Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points and Money Rewards: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For detailed info on Points & Money Rewards™ award nights, see Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED March 2015]

For the Hilton Honors Points & Money Rewards™ FAQ, please see here.
Print Wikipost

Points and Money Rewards: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:14 am

Yeah I read the earlier posts about not earning points on the cash part. Not a really big deal since I am not really hotel-loyal in the points earning department. I travel primarily on leisure so I don't think I really earn points that way. However, I do have this question regarding paying for the cash.

The main problem I have is figuring out roughly how much HHonors points are worth. I have switched to Points and cash though as I think of it as a $65 stay. Thanks sethb and helosc.

Since the item is described initially under HKD, should I use my Chase Sapphire for payment due to the FTF? Or use my Amex Hilton for 7x (~65) and a 2.7% fee?

If my calculations adds correctly: 130 UR pts or 455 HH points for an additional $1.80?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've never found the excess charge for FX on the cards that have it to be covered by the extra value of the points that card might earn.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by buggy51
If my calculations adds correctly: 130 UR pts or 455 HH points for an additional $1.80?
I figure at least 1.5 cents per UR point, and at most .5 cents for a HH point. So 130 UR points is worth at least $2, the 455 HH points at most $2.25. Chase Sapphire is the way to go.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: HH Gold
Just booked a points and money stay at the new Doubletree in Melbourne. AU$ 92 and 20,000 points per night. Only problem is we needed 3 nights here but could only get 2, even for a paid stay. Am keeping an eye on for rooms (cash or points) but will book a cans room on booking.com. Any recommendations for any other hotels near this property? The other Hiltons are also full for our stay.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
What dates?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
What dates?
March 14th,
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha, the Australian F1 Grand Prix makes accommodation problematic, especially just two months out and on the Saturday night.

I'd book the cheapest flexible room you can find that suits and keep an eye out for sales on rooms that may be returned from consolidators.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:05 pm

Folks, there are other threads for discussing Melbourne AU Hilton properties & the relevant Travel forums for discussing Melbourne hotels in general. If you're not actually discussing Hilton HHonors Points & Money awards, this is not the place to have your discussion. Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Folks, there are other threads for discussing Melbourne AU Hilton properties & the relevant Travel forums for discussing Melbourne hotels in general. ...
Sure, but having posted the above, I will comment that it is surprising P&M rewards were actually available at the venue on the preceding two days given the high demand for accommodation that weekend. Looking now I see such is no longer available on the indicated booked days,
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:42 pm

Cash & Point stay availability

Yesterday I booked a points and cash stay at the Conrad in Tokyo. 32,000 points and ¥18,000. My plans have now changed and I can spend a second night in Tokyo, but the cost for a second night is either 80,000 points or almost ¥60,000.

Is it common for points and cash rewards to become available closer to the time or should I start looking at other hotels? Don't want to use that many points on one night and at well over £300 for the night its out of my price range to pay for the one night.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Could be.
Try this:
Without cancelling your existing reservation, search anew for two single-night P&C reservations, and also search for a two-night P&C reservation. If the two-nighter is available, book that and cacel your original single-night.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by comper
Yesterday I booked a points and cash stay at the Conrad in Tokyo. 32,000 points and ¥18,000. My plans have now changed and I can spend a second night in Tokyo, but the cost for a second night is either 80,000 points or almost ¥60,000.

Is it common for points and cash rewards to become available closer to the time or should I start looking at other hotels? Don't want to use that many points on one night and at well over £300 for the night its out of my price range to pay for the one night.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Worth keeping the options open as long as possible. If you have the points to book a full redemption and still do the P + C if it pops up...that is what I would do.

I have had a second night on a weekend become available for the Conrad London for example but it was only in the last 1-3 weeks before the stay. If I booked a cash rate that was non refundable that is obvious...if you can keep your options open by having the redemption as a fall back to see if the cash rates drop or if the P + C rate becomes available then that would be best.

You could still cancel the full redemption if you didn't want to use that later nearer the time if the cash rate doesn't agree and no P + C appears.

Anecdotally, I find single night P + C easier to search for and find. Multiple nights on P + C showing up is as rare as hen's teeth IMO. (most places).

HTH.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:23 am

Thank you both for the suggestions, will keep checking, if no luck will cancel my stay in Tokyo and have an extra few nights down in Oz.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am totally new to Points&Money.
If I book a room using Points&Money, the payment will be immediate or pay at check-out?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
I am totally new to Points&Money.
If I book a room using Points&Money, the payment will be immediate or pay at check-out?
Pay at check out in my (limited) experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.