Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Old May 10, 2013, 10:11 am

Got an upcoming stay in June - fingers crossed for a Gold upgrade!
Old May 15, 2013, 8:25 pm

Heading to this Doubletree in July for a day.

How do I arrange private car transportation to/from airport? Don't want to get ripped off by taxi cabs, and from what others have said, it's comparable in price to the taxis.

Thx!
Old May 15, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've got a stay coming up in about two weeks and just today I got an email from the concierge desk with options for an airport pickup. I have made previous arrangements so I didn't take them up on it, plus all they had were luxury vehicles and all seemed pricey.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Heading to this Doubletree in July for a day.

How do I arrange private car transportation to/from airport? Don't want to get ripped off by taxi cabs, and from what others have said, it's comparable in price to the taxis.

Thx!
Taxi from airport is safe. Use the regulated process and make sure to verify meter is running/applicable before you depart. Private car is much more expensive.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:10 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by turnpike17
I have made previous arrangements
Can you help out with any suggestions on airport transfers? I just booked a trip for this weekend for Turkey since another international trip fell through. We will be a party of 7, and mostly arriving seperately and staying at the Conrad.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Can you help out with any suggestions on airport transfers? I just booked a trip for this weekend for Turkey since another international trip fell through. We will be a party of 7, and mostly arriving seperately and staying at the Conrad.
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

Have a look at the above site - many many useful tips! I've booked transfers (staying in two different hotels during upcoming trip to Istanbul and to anf from airport) via Backpackers Travel (details on the site). Very reasonable and good reviews...
Old May 16, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I've had half a dozen transfers from IST to downtown hotels by taxi. Never again. It has always been a hassle one way or another. ( Meter, price, route, my brother will sell you a good carpet, my sister is very pretty.) Next time later this year I'll arrange a private transfer as life is too short to have to be in apprehension of some rip-off in Istanbul.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
I've not been to this hotel (or been to IST) yet but will be in the next few weeks, generally I am very much looking forward to it.

I have to say I've not heard good things about using standard taxis so had been thinking of arranging a private transfer through the hotel. I did receive a pro-active email from the hotel with suggestions for day trips and pricing for transfers.

As turnpike17 has said, the pricing is prohibitive at Euro 90 for a 5 series BMW and Euro 120 for a 7 series BMW (one way!). I am used to seeing S class limousine services in Europe/Asia for Euro 60 each way but this is double that...for a 20 Km distance that should take no more than 30 minutes...

Still haven't made up my mind what to do but I hope this is not a sign of things to come for the trip...
Old May 16, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I googled IST Doubletree transfer and came up with this http://www.privatetoursinistanbul.co..._transfer.html Its not a BMW but for 25 Euros and having a driver waiting for you seems well worth it than dealing with the taxis. Who knows.... I'll be happy to report back on June 4th when we land in IST.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:54 am

Found the link for airport transfers on the site I mentioned above -

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...akpak_xfr.html

Got them booked for enf of June/beginning of July - will update...
Old May 29, 2013, 2:54 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Mostly pictorial review of a King Bed Suite at the DoubleTree Old Town - Istanbul. A friend and I stayed at the DoubleTree Old Town instead of the Conrad or Hilton as it seemed to be better in terms of distance to walk to the tourist attractions…we were very pleased as indeed we could walk everywhere and the hotel turned out to be one of the best I have stayed in throughout the Hilton chain…the staff really are very friendly and genuinely want to help, the hotel is in very good condition and well located and the beds and rooms were excellent.

I had booked a king bed suite which was brilliant and is what I show here…my friend decided to go for the standard room which was very similar but quite a bit smaller and would have been a bit small if staying for more than a weekend in my opinion.

I liked the painting in the room by BA_pics, on Flickr

I liked this picture which was above the beds in all the rooms.

We received the rooms we booked as I had booked the 'best' room they had already (however, they did put me on the 4th floor which is the highest and it was also the furthest away from the elevators which are my preferences so maybe they did do me a favour in this regard)…my friend is currently only silver so didn't get any upgrade but the room was very similar in terms of colour, bed and style…it only lacked in space really.

Check in was quick and efficient, the staff excellent and I was given an arm full of vouchers and items…it turns out you get breakfast vouchers (which were technically only for me but they did comp my friends breakfast as a nice gesture to me which we very much appreciated. ^ ), spa coupons, internet vouchers, bar/restaurant vouchers (see more details later on this)…and likely some other bits as well...

Shortly after checking in to the room I heard a knock at the door…several staff were delivering a few dishes of fruit, sweets and local confection…along with a welcome letter. A really nice touch and I enjoyed trying the various fruits and sweets over the three days we were there.

Diamond Welcome Gift by BA_pics, on Flickr

The floor plan for the 4th floor. (5 floors in total but the top floor is all restaurant and bar area as far as I know).

floor plan 4th floor by BA_pics, on Flickr

In the living room, you have this view when you come past the entrance and guest WC:

Living room area by BA_pics, on Flickr

And this is the view back towards the entrance:

view from window to entrance by BA_pics, on Flickr

Each room had an A/C control and this helped to keep the room cool at night, I found it very quiet personally so was happy to sleep with it on…you could open the windows, however, if you wished to have fresh air instead (but the windows were only ones that tilted open…so not fully opening doors)

In the bedroom, this is the view from the window and desk towards the bathroom and changing area;

view from window to bathroom in bedroom by BA_pics, on Flickr

The bedroom looking the other way…it was not dark at all in the rooms but unfortunately the contrast between the bright sunshine outside and the interior was too much for my poor iPhone camera! So sorry for the dark pics in some cases:

view to window from bathroom by BA_pics, on Flickr

The main attraction:

King Bed by BA_pics, on Flickr

This bed was very comfortable and both of us slept very well so the beds are the same in each of the rooms. ^

In the bedroom, there were two wardrobes, one single door one and across a double door wardrobe with the room safe, ironing board and iron. All the wardrobes had lighting that activated upon opening. The living room had a single wardrobe as well, so plenty of storage space.

plenty of wardrobe space by BA_pics, on Flickr

You'd be daft to spend time in the room making coffee or tea given the quality and relatively inexpensive price for any decent cafe in Istanbul…but if you must…

Coffee boat by BA_pics, on Flickr

There were two mini bars and 4 bottles of water provided each day which was very welcome in the hot weather.

In each of the bathrooms there were two pairs of slippers and full bath amenities…well done to the management for the small but nice touches and for actually putting them out! ^

two pairs of slippers by BA_pics, on Flickr

dental kit and other amenities by BA_pics, on Flickr

Decent amenities by BA_pics, on Flickr

The bathrooms were modern with a marble wall surface and black floor tiles, The place was very clean and everything was in a very good condition.

Modern loo by BA_pics, on Flickr

Nice sink area in bathroom by BA_pics, on Flickr

In the bathrooms, the bedroom had a bath tub with a shower overhead...

Bathtub in main bathroom by BA_pics, on Flickr
Old May 29, 2013, 2:55 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Recent review part -2- due to image limitation:

And the guest WC in the living room had a walk in shower along with a loo and wash basin…very nice to have two full bathrooms.

Shower in guest WC of suite by BA_pics, on Flickr

Guest WC sink area:

guest WC sink by BA_pics, on Flickr

On the way to the elevators you'll likely pass this design feature of the hotel as it provides a viewing area down to reception in the middle of the hotel.

funky design at hotel by BA_pics, on Flickr

Cheese platter at DT Istanbul by BA_pics, on Flickr

We did try the bar on the 5th floor one night which was quite nice but a bit pricey in my opinion. The voucher given to us at check-in provides a 10% discount on the bill (but one time use only…they take it away so not a repeat 10% discount each time!)

This cheese plate was well presented but the cheese was mostly bland, although the blue cheese was very nice indeed. The strawberries were excellent and very tasty,

On our last evening here I came back to the room to find this very nice dessert on the living room table…along with a letter expressing thanks for our custom and asking if we needed anything before departure the next day…the cake was a lovely banana sponge cake with chocolate coating but not too sweet. ^

Nice gift on last day by BA_pics, on Flickr

A few notes about Istanbul and the taxis…

Transfers/taxis: we decided to chance it and take a normal taxi from the airport to the hotel…it was fine. Certainly not what you would get in North America or England but not as bad as some countries I have been in either…for the chaos that is traffic in Istanbul, we found the driving quite good and without any real fear factor. They like to use their horns, they like to gesture, they like to drive close to other vehicles and cut in….but it was never truly dangerous. We used a taxi to get back to the airport again as well and it was a repeat pleasant enough experience. The fare was typically around 42 TL each way for two people. (decent enough really). I did find it a bit disconcerting that the seat belts did not work on the taxi back to the airport but we survived. I wouldn't bother with expensive transfers personally now that I know…however, if you have never been to Rome or Cairo or Istanbul before and have only travelled once or twice outside of your own country…then maybe a better quality transfer may be the right choice…for the more adventurous…taxis are fine.

I loved Istanbul…I hadn't been before and I certainly will be back. For a city with 14 Million people, it didn't feel too crowded like Hong Kong, Shanghai or even London can at times…partially due to the massive sprawl of the city of course but still.

I found the food brilliant (we mostly went down to the streets near the water below the blue mosque area which is very touristy but has excellent local dishes and very friendly waiting staff). In general, I was surprised by the lack of people begging for money or bothering tourists…of course there were some around but no where near the levels you find in northern Africa for example.

Anyway, hope these pictures and notes help people decide if this hotel is suitable for their needs while in Instanbul. I'll be back and hope to have just as good an experience here. ^^
Old May 29, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by BotB
On our last evening here I came back to the room to find this very nice dessert on the living room table…along with a letter expressing thanks for our custom and asking if we needed anything before departure the next day…the cake was a lovely banana sponge cake with chocolate coating but not too sweet.
Hey, I feel cheated... I didn't get the cake! But my experience matches yours (down to us having the king suite room and our friend having a regular king). One of the best Hilton properties I've experienced and the location is great.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:20 am

Visiting this Friday for three nights - very much looking forward to it!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:39 am

Can anyone recommend any good restaurants nearby? Looking for something authentic and not too "touristy" if possible!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.