Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Old Town {TUR}

Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I'll be staying at the DT Old Town in a few weeks, will report back!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:42 pm

Thumbs up Thanks !!

Wow Guys - This is all super helpful (by some very resourceful folks).

My parents are basically breaking journey from 3 nights on their way to Canada (I live in Toronto). The PrimeClass service seems very useful too.

Thanks again guys !! This has been a warm welcome
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:02 am

Thanks again

Thanks again guys - Got my parents reserved booked for 3 nights starting April 5th. They suggested that I would need to talk to the Hotel directly, if i wanted Diamond privileges extended to them.

Long Shot, however, is the Hotel manager a member of flyertalk ?

Thanks Guys !
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by NW-A332
I stayed here for 1 night in the fall and absolutely loved this hotel. As a diamond I wasn't upgraded to anything...I don't think. I had a regular room that faced the front street on the second floor. I didn't need anything larger that that. I did get the welcome platter of snacks and a %off coupon for the rooftop restaurant, which I used and it was great. The spa/hammam was also very good. .
My experience was very similar, 2nd floor facing the street. You don't necessarily want to be facing the street if you're sensitive to noise. You can get a room facing a wall and an internal tho tight courtyard. Also got a platter, nothing that great and slightly upgraded toiletries (larger bottles) compared to the room they moved me to on same floor just in courtyard area.

All in a great location, staff were excited when i first stayed there - they had only been open for a few weeks. The hotel car to/from the airport was nice and the hotel seemed near empty. The gym/jacuzzi/sauna/steam room were excellent and the restaurant on top floor was great as was the breakfast.

Have stayed at the hilton istanbul which is an older property near the square which is old but historic in a 1950s kind of way. Always been given a room with view of the bosphoros on executive floor. Doubletree has no exec floor whereas hilton does and selection is outstanding breakfast and evening. I'm caught between the two. If i'm in Istanbul for business, it makes more sense for me to stay at the Hilton rather than the Doubletree. As a visitor, I think the Doubletree is probably better.

The gym and leisure areas at both properties are superb. I mean it's as good as hilton typically gets. Loved them.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Stayed at the DT Old Town a few weeks back for four nights. Booked a King Guest Room and as a HHD was upgraded to a Guest Room with Terrace. The rooms are tiny, probably less than 20sqm all up, and we had difficulty placing our two large luggages in the room. The terrace was large'ish but our neighbours next door would have had a clear view of us so its not really useable as such - except for having a quick cigarette if that is your thing - besides it was close to freezing temperature outside so we stayed inside.

The tram is right in front, I don't know if we got ripped off or not but we paid 2 liras per trip. I think you may be able to buy a pre-paid travel card or something that could make travel cheaper ... similar to the Oyster Card in London, Octopus Card in Hong Kong etc.

The hotel is definitely walkable around the Old Town, we leisurely walked to the Blue Mosque, Palace etc in 20 minutes. Mostly flat walking if one walked adjacent to the tram tracks.

Loved the new'ness of the hotel as well, though the room size was a bit disappointing.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Just had an excellent stay at the DT Old Town, I highly recommend it. I thought the property itself and the rooms were faultless and the location perfect.

Got Breakfast & Internet vouchers upon check-in so all good, there is a small business area with free web access and printers etc. This was one of the better Doubletree properties I've come across. I found the terrace restaurant pricey for what it was but room service was good, I can never resist them damn Hilton Burgers

Breakfast selection was not huge but they have a little of everything so it serves it's purpose.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Breakfast options nearby?

I'll be staying at the old city DT next year but will drop to Silver by the time I get thee so no free breakfast for me. Does anyone know what alternatives there are for breakfast near the hotel?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
I'll be staying at the old city DT next year but will drop to Silver by the time I get thee so no free breakfast for me. Does anyone know what alternatives there are for breakfast near the hotel?
The hotel also adjoins to a mall like area. There is a little cafe downstairs. There are also a myriad of little eating places as you walk up the street towards the Blue Mosque. I don't think you will be hardpressed to find a place for breakfast.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat, PC Plat ambassador, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Gold BW Diamond
hilton istanbul choices

Stayed at both Hilton Istanbul and doubletree.

Doubletree rooms are tiny, hilton's (exec floor with view) much much nicer. Both hotels were well maintained- with my only issues being lousy view in doubletree - and daytime (not at night) smell of epoxy at the Hilton.

Both claimed to recognize my diamond status, but the rooms at the doubletree did not give me any indication of that fact. Doubletree - welcome platter was cookies, candies and fruit - which is very nice since there is no lounge. Hilton welcome platter was just fruit - but with exec lounge I do not care what the welcome is. Both provide water.

Breakfast is better at the Doubletree-as a diamond, but no lounge for later on.

From a location standpoint:

If you walk everywhere historic and - Doubletree is much closer. If you are a cab it type of person who cares. Restaurants and nightlife is 10 times better closer to Hilton. Taksim is the center of public transit for those interested. TAxis in Istanbul are fairly reasonable. Paid 35 lira on both trips from Ataturk airport to Doubletree, but about 40-45 lira going back to the airport. From Hilton seems to be more lie 60 lira. And I have walked between the 2 properties - which is doable - but long. Also to Hilton you can take the 10 lira public bus to Taksim and walk the 2 blocks to the hotel - if you travel light.

Because I like a pool in the afternoon, a cocktail in the lounge, and nightlife as well as sightseeing, I will choose the hilton over the doubletree even for a leisure stay.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Istanbul Conrad

I will be at the Istanbul Conrad in a few weeks and will post a report.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:32 am

DoubleTree Istanbul - Old Town

Up coming trip next month for 3 nights. Any recent info on Diamond upgrades and rooms to request will be appreciated.

Does anyone know if the 4th floor has balconies?

Thank you,

Gwen
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ges123
Up coming trip next month for 3 nights. Any recent info on Diamond upgrades and rooms to request will be appreciated.

Does anyone know if the 4th floor has balconies?

Thank you,

Gwen
Some reports here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...bletree-4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-istanbul.html
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: UA G
Are the twin rooms really 1 twin bed? I'm looking for a room with two beds, even if they're twins. I'm going with a friend and would like to avoid getting two rooms just to get two beds.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Doubletree Istanbul Pictures from Dec-2012 (9 photos)

As promised, photos. Thanks to everyone on FT who helped me with information prior to the trip. Sorry about the poor camera work. Also my pictures of the breakfast (which is fantastic) and gym/spa (also fantastic) are lost.

Our exposure was to a king room and the suite bedroom, but we found the rooms to be pretty good size. Breakfast had full omelette bar, American, Turkish breakfast items; really a great Diamond benefit. Gym had new equipment, very well done.

Staff and managers were fantastic.

Entry area to suite.

Diamond welcome platter.

Front room/sitting room, includes pull out bed.

Mini-bar and coffee/tea area in sitting room.

Suite included an extra full bath accessed just off the entry area.
Walk in shower just to the right of photo frame.

Main bedroom.

Desk/working space in main bedroom.

There was a changing area, with sliding doors to close it off, between the main bedroom and main bathroom. This held another minibar and two closets and a safe. The unseen closet is across from the minibar.

Main bathroom, tub/shower combo.
Large bathroom. Our friend reported her king bed room had same large bathroom layout.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: UA G
I'm not seeing any pictures Not sure if FT has privacy settings on photos or something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.