Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Double Dip Miles on Mutual Account - Name Matching?

Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Everyone!

We have an old grandfathered mutual account. We have traditionally done the points/points but with the devaluation and mile promotions, I recently switched our preference to points/ fixed miles.

So, if I want to post to my wife's UAL account for the bonus promotion and she is the one having the stay, should we have any problems? For some reason, I just feel that I am "primary" on our joint account and wonder whose name they will send over to UAL with her number.

Anyone with a joint account done this? Does it even matter who has the stay (i.e. Could she put my UAL number in there for her stay?)

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by PGHflyer
We have an old grandfathered mutual account. We have traditionally done the points/points but with the devaluation and mile promotions, I recently switched our preference to points/ fixed miles.

So, if I want to post to my wife's UAL account for the bonus promotion and she is the one having the stay, should we have any problems? For some reason, I just feel that I am "primary" on our joint account and wonder whose name they will send over to UAL with her number.

Anyone with a joint account done this? Does it even matter who has the stay (i.e. Could she put my UAL number in there for her stay?)

Thanks in advance.
I don't think this should be an issue for you.
She is a user on the hhonors account as well, so you should be fine.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Here's the trick that should work.... Since it's not possible to have an online reservation made while logged in except in the name of the "primary" Mutual Fund Account holder.

1. Make sure her United FF # is part of your travel partners. Make it primary.

2. DO NOT LOG IN. Rather, make the reservation, per usual, but "manually" put her name in plus your shared Mutual Fund #.

The reservation should then be accessible in upcoming stays, but sometimes it's not. If not, you can still view it by reservation #.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Everyone!
thanks folks!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Yes, in our case it is actually my wife who is primary. (She was Diamond at the time we merged accounts, while I was Gold). But I am the one who manages all the programs, reservations, etc. We have had success doing just that: Posting miles to one airline account or another, irrespective of who was staying. MileagePlus has always been primary for both of us, but I used the technique to boost my Aeroplan account up to 25,000 and keep it active after I stopped flying inside Canada, for example. Now boosting her AAdvantage above 25,000 along with mine, so we can fly somewhere together on AA.
It has probably been a year or more since I have done this so no guarantee, I guess.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
As the secondary person on a mutual account I tried a few times to get Delta miles and could not get it to work - even when the Hilton reservation was in my name. Got a note back from Delta saying the name did not match the FF account. Maybe United worth a try, since issue seemed to be on Delta's receiving end. I did not actually go back to Delta and push for those points, so may have been able to resolve with additional correspondence.

FWIW, I was traveling a lot for work, so many reservations were in my name and even the HHonors credit never posted automatically. I would just save up the list and e-mail them over for credit every now and again.

Last edited by umustbjokim; Apr 11, 2013 at 9:42 am Reason: Typo - left out a "not"
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:24 am

We also have a mutual fund account. I am primary. When we have tried to post miles to DH's AA account, they never post. I have to call HHonors customer service and they have to manually request the mileage because the name/account don't match the automated process. When we posted the miles to his United account, they updated automatically without any problem or intervention.

We haven't tried posting to his accounts in over a year, so I don't know if that's still the case.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Some invaluable tips in this thread for those of us with Mutual Fund Accounts! Mahalo.

In our experience, the Mutual Fund Accounts work pretty well - until it's time to post miles or the like to the secondary account holder's predilect airline, etc. in which case the system does not have the ability to actually retain the data for both account holders; it seems to be "primary account holder centric".

The HH system also seems to be prone to confusion of both account holders are having parallel stays - that has required manual intervention in our experience.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Idranet
We also have a mutual fund account. I am primary. When we have tried to post miles to DH's AA account, they never post. I have to call HHonors customer service and they have to manually request the mileage because the name/account don't match the automated process. When we posted the miles to his United account, they updated automatically without any problem or intervention.

We haven't tried posting to his accounts in over a year, so I don't know if that's still the case.

No doubt the hhonors server may require manual intervention for a stay to post to the account under the nonprimary (or secondary) account holder.

Your info. above is interesting. It appears, from your experience, it may work for some airline accounts and not for others (without manual intervention).

Originally Posted by JDiver
Some invaluable tips in this thread for those of us with Mutual Fund Accounts! Mahalo.

In our experience, the Mutual Fund Accounts work pretty well - until it's time to post miles or the like to the secondary account holder's predilect airline, etc. in which case the system does not have the ability to actually retain the data for both account holders; it seems to be "primary account holder centric".

The HH system also seems to be prone to confusion of both account holders are having parallel stays - that has required manual intervention in our experience.
I can see the issue with both account holders traveling to differing locations on same dates. This is probably similar to a single account holder using 2 hotels in differing locations on the same date.

Maybe some airlines systems verify last name and address only, while others verify the entire name. Interesting.

But in either case, I would think (even if it takes a manual request), that a transfer to either account holder's airline account should be honored. Otherwise, this would be penalizing the mutual account holder's from the flexibility to transfer.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Member

We have a mutual account and often switch the double dip mileage between both our virgin Atlantic accounts. Never had any problem with miles posting to either account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.