Honors Account De-activation...

Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (1.4MM), SPG Platinum, Hertz PC, United Premier Executive
Honors Account De-activation...

So I had been a diamond member for 3-4 years (with other status the previous 2-3 years), that expired on 3/10... at which point I downgraded to a Silver membership. Ultimately, I was unhappy with the consistency of the Hilton experience and moved virtually all of my hotel stays to Starwood properties.

My last stay at Hilton was 4/09. I decided last week to give Hilton another try. When I attempted to login to my account, the website didn't let me. As it turns out, they had dis-activated my account the month prior. When I called, they agreed to give me 1/2 of my points back and then give back the other 1/2 after a paid stay (which I completed). Now, they want me to stay something like 9 times this year to get any status back.

What is horribly unclear to me is a few points:

1. Why would Hilton de-activate an extremely profitable customer less than 1 year after diamond membership expired without any contact whatsoever?

2. Why would they de-activate any member with status?

Given my travel profile, I am horribly un-inclined to meet their status reclaim requirements and will figure out how to use up all of my points in the next year. Am I being unreasonable in how I am thinking about this? To me, indicative of a company that doesn't understand service.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
You are due a much clearer explanation of their poor customer service. I suggest calling Hilton Honors and asking for a supervisor if you have not done so. If you have, then a letter to their headquarters is in order.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
To answer the "why": Because it is written in clear language in the TOS of the programm any you will find the answers in there:

Members who do not earn points in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. To keep the HHonors account open, the member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

1. stay at a Hilton Family hotel;
2. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
3. purchase HHonors points.

Failure to take action (1), (2), or (3) described above will result in the deactivation of the Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points. Once the account has closed, the member may not retrieve any points forfeited by Hilton. Any reward redeemed by the member before the account closes (such as a hotel reservation made or a car rental voucher obtained) is still valid after the account closes. Members are exempt from the foregoing requirements during their first year of enrollment.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 3:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hilton has only done what they say they will do on the T&Cs; they understand affinity / frequent guest programs. IMO, you were fortunate to receive half of your points back with the rest forthcoming after merely one stay - quite customer-sensitive of them to go beyond the minimums this way.

(It's not about when your status lapsed, it is the length of time since your last activity - which could have been a HHonors Dining, or anything.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:34 pm
alc

also want to add that the CS is actually giving you a "Fast Track to Diamond" promo with only 10 stays (1 you already had done + 9 more) where normally 28 stays .. so I do agreed JDiver's comment of "quite customer-sensitive of them to go beyond the minimums this way."
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Many older Hilton folk have seen the writing on the wall, and have burned all their points already. With their big devaulation, lack of promotions comparable to the other big chains, it's a no brainer for many folk.

In fact, I'm typing this in the Exec lounge in Bueno Aires, using the last chunk of my Hilton points. I too went from Diamond to Silver.

I get much more bang for the buck with IHG and Hyatt. Others love Marriott and SPG. Seems like you, too, saw the handwriting on the wall, but just didn't burn your points in time. I get about 1 free night with every 3 stays with Hyatt, and about 1.5 free nights with every paid stay at IHG. Since I travel 180+ days a year, this adds up quickly.

I would just try to get whatever use out of the points you have left, and don't look back.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Hilton HHonors deactivated my account and purged my points last September. After blogging about it on Loyalty traveler my account was reopened, but my points were not returned.

I dropped Hilton after five or six years as Diamond due to the higher reward rates being charged compared to other hotel loyalty programs.

HHonors Diamond elite membership had its advantages, but I ultimately found SPG, Hyatt, and IHG more suited to my travel style.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Did you earn any points in the past 12 months?

If not, I really don't see why you are complaining about it. You were lucky to get anything back from them.

Seriously, if you didn't earn one point in the last year, you would not be what Hilton would call an extremely profitable customer.

Pretty much every affinity forum here has multiple threads saying "how dare they take away my points even though I didn't meet any of the clearly established terms to keep my membership". The answer is always the same. If you don't meet the terms, they will close your account and take the points.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Many older Hilton folk have seen the writing on the wall, and have burned all their points already. With their big devaulation, lack of promotions comparable to the other big chains, it's a no brainer for many folk.
I am not too sure that repeating this argument again and again will make it true. I am an older Hilton folk and I cannot complain. The "devaluation" was there and it hit me with more than 2 mio points in my account. However, promos in 2010 were very good and certainly better than SPG. Hyatt as a local brand in the Americas is not an alternative for international travellers and IHG offers not enough upscale properties. Being top level tier with all of them for years, I certainly have evaluated all alternatives but the mix of the three chains still offers best results.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
hilton did nothing wrong here & they were also nice enough to offer your a chance to get all your points back & also a chance to get status again....i don't see any reason to complain....
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Hyatt as a local brand in the Americas is not an alternative for international travellers and IHG offers not enough upscale properties. Being top level tier with all of them for years, I certainly have evaluated all alternatives but the mix of the three chains still offers best results.
I agree a mix for people who travel a lot, probably works the best. For my travels, I can almost always find a Hyatt in the cities I travel to. CGK, HKG, EZE, BKK, SYD plus many US locations.

I still have 75% of my stays at IHG properties, so it's not even my major hotel chain. Perhaps I missed the Hilton Stay 2, get 1 free offer, like Hyatt had earlier this year (twice), and IHG is just starting.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: AC*SE, CX DM, HH DM, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, PC PL
After from going from GL->SL then the 'timeout' I lost status and all my points (after a couple weeks). They didn't re-instate them - mentioned I didn't follow the terms of service.

Fair enough, they warned me via email and ignored it.

BTW I lost >100k points - a couple days somewhere reasonably nice - and I didn't complain (much).

It was my fault!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:01 am

I just stay top tier in *W, HH, MR and I'm all set. Then I have at least one property everywhere I go to be the cheapest to satisfy company policy.

Last edited by greywolf; Sep 19, 2010 at 6:02 am Reason: removed quotation
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greywolf
After from going from GL->SL then the 'timeout' I lost status and all my points (after a couple weeks). They didn't re-instate them - mentioned I didn't follow the terms of service.

Fair enough, they warned me via email and ignored it.

BTW I lost >100k points - a couple days somewhere reasonably nice - and I didn't complain (much).

It was my fault!
I am only a member in a handful of hotel FF plans, so don't claim to know the rules of all of them (or even the ones I am a member in). 1 year is a quite a short leash, though. Imagine the uproar if all airlines deleted all accounts that were inactive for 12 months.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I am only a member in a handful of hotel FF plans, so don't claim to know the rules of all of them (or even the ones I am a member in). 1 year is a quite a short leash, though. Imagine the uproar if all airlines deleted all accounts that were inactive for 12 months.
Completely agree - I think it sucks. I think the issue here is HHonor's policy of removing status after 12 months. It's bad.

But I'm unimpressed with the laws in many of the countries I travel to.

HOWEVER I abide by them, and if I don't I need accept the consequences.

Now, as an aside I shouldn't apply laws to company policies.

However, I shouldn't be surprised if I get a consequence (losing miles) by not abiding by them.

Really, how difficult is it to add HH miles every once in a while if they are important to me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.