Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Earn Honors Points with Social Media Check-Ins

Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club

Team,

Earlier this week I saw on one of Hilton’s many disjointed Twitter feeds a tweet about a third party app that rewards travelers with HHonors points for social media check ins. A user earns 50 HHonors points per check in at a DoubleTree hotels.

Randomly, I was at a Doubletree this weekend for a wedding so I signed up. Viola! All you have you do is check in either on Foursquare or Facebook places after entering your HH number. Such an easy 50 points. Sure, 50 HH points is worth less than a penny on the ground, but I could see how these would add up. Note: earning is capped at 50pts/day.

If you live or work near a DoubleTree (time to buy a nicer house!), I don’t think that the app can tell if you are genuinely at the property or just checking in.

Rewards points are also available for other hotel chains and one airline (very limited) see the iTunes link here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/topgu...01468434?mt=8#

It looks like Gowalla, Looptsar and TwitLoc are not supported, only FBP and 4SQ.

Updated to add: In addition to DoubleTree, Hampton Inn check ins count as well! found this thread 50 Hilton HHonors points per digital "check-in" at Hampton Hotels (via Topguest.com) - thanks to MarkMColo for the info.

Last edited by Minneapolis; Mar 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Though I dont stay at them, I have been using the 4sq app for priority club. I have about 15 checkins but non have hit my PC account yet
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by etsmyers
Though I dont stay at them, I have been using the 4sq app for priority club. I have about 15 checkins but non have hit my PC account yet
When did you start doing the checkins?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Its only applicable to US hotel, right?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Never in hell. You'd be insane to announce your home is empty and unattended to the Internet.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BearX220
Never in hell. You'd be insane to announce your home is empty and unattended to the Internet.
Create a new account just for this service?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
50 HH points is worth less than a penny on the ground, but I could see how these would add up.
I'll buy all anyone can supply me at twice that, 2 US cents per 50 HH points.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Originally Posted by BearX220
Foursquare requires neither your full name, nor your address. For name, I gave them my first initial. For location I gave them the state. So all they know is that Z from North Carolina is within X meters of a given Priority Club or Doubletree property. Which most of the time is right near my home, so I'm not even out of town.
Also, when checking in, there is a toggle to deny sharing of your location with friends.

Edited to add: also in the Foursquare account settings you can deny all the the various possibilities to display your location. The defaults are to display your location, so it is necessary to go to settings and uncheck the assorted boxes.

Last edited by ZeppoX; Nov 24, 2010 at 1:07 pm
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Putra
Its only applicable to US hotel, right?
I've been using Topguest since July for Priority Club and was able to "check in" via Foursquare when I was in Bali. The points were credited to my Topguest account and then posted to PC.

I'm assuming non-US Doubletree locations would work as well.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I have been messing around with this for a week, and I cannot get it to work. I have downloaded the TopGuest app to my iPhone, there are links to "Add your account number", I click on the HHonors link, put in my account number, but there is no way to save the account number. No 'done' button, no 'save' button, nothing. The only option is to go back to the prior screen without saving your account number. What am I doing wrong? Anybody else having this problem?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
I have been messing around with this for a week, and I cannot get it to work. I have downloaded the TopGuest app to my iPhone, there are links to "Add your account number", I click on the HHonors link, put in my account number, but there is no way to save the account number. No 'done' button, no 'save' button, nothing. The only option is to go back to the prior screen without saving your account number. What am I doing wrong? Anybody else having this problem?
I am not using the top guest iPhone app since I don't want to link it to my facebook account. I just use the foursquare iPhone app with an account set up squarely for topguest. And I set up my PC and Hhonors accounts on the topguest website.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA; USairways; United; British Air
I haven't checked what's required at this "check-in" - but, doesn't it ask for credit card info? Guess I'm the last person in the universe to bother with signing up for 4Sq. The other comments ahead of me sound like it's a huge piece of rocket science just to get 50 HHonors pts.

After posting the above, I also looked at the link to the itunes thing in the OP's post. It seems you also have to have Iphone/Ipad to get any points in the first place.

Last edited by shorelife; Nov 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorelife
I haven't checked what's required at this "check-in" - but, doesn't it ask for credit card info? Guess I'm the last person in the universe to bother with signing up for 4Sq. The other comments ahead of me sound like it's a huge piece of rocket science just to get 50 HHonors pts.
Neither Foursquare nor Topguest ask for credit card information.

And yes, the Topguest website/solution isn't very easy to understand. They don't clearly explain how it works, eg that you don't really have to use their iPhone/Android app.

I am certainly not going out of my way to collect 50 points a day, but if I pass a Priority Club or Doubletree property, I might "check in" if it's not inconvenient.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA; USairways; United; British Air
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And yes, the Topguest website/solution isn't very easy to understand. They don't clearly explain how it works, eg that you don't really have to use their iPhone/Android app.

I am certainly not going out of my way to collect 50 points a day, but if I pass a Priority Club or Doubletree property, I might "check in" if it's not inconvenient.

OK, can you explain a little more clearly how the Topguest website/solution works in your own words? Every time I click on that link in the OP's post, it flips me to another window that says you presently don't have iPad, etc. So is there a way around all that? I certainly agree about the 50 pts a day, since I belong to both PC and HH, so if I could figure out how to access this without buying an iPad, I'd do it. It sounds from what you're saying already, that you need to be within signal range of a PC or Doubletree property to even do the pseudo "check-in"... but again, I may be reading you wrong again?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shorelife
OK, can you explain a little more clearly how the Topguest website/solution works in your own words?
Here's how to make Topguest work for you when using a smart phone (one on which you can install apps)...

1. Decide which "check in" service you're going to use with Topguest and, using your PC, go to that service's website to sign up. For example, go to http://www.foursquare.com and register for an account.

2. Next, download the check-in service app for your smartphone. If you're using Foursquare, download that app and install it on your phone. Open the app and insert your login credentials. Now you're set to "check in." The next step is to connect that check in service to Topguest.

3. Using your PC, go to http://www.topguest.com and register for an account.

4. At Topguest.com, click on "Settings" and fill in your account numbers for the loyalty programs you wish to link to (Priority Club, HHonors, Wyndham Rewards, etc.).

5. While still on the "Settings" page, connect to whatever "check in" program you plan to use (Facebook, FourSquare, Gowalla, Twitter, or BrightKite). Use the on/off toggle buttons.

6. Pick up your smartphone, scroll to the check in app, and then search for the location that you wish to "check in" at. Follow the procedure for your particular app to complete the check in.

Your Topguest account should reflect the check in within an hour or so.

I've been able to "check in" at properties throughout New York City, in northern New Jersey, in Boston, in Hong Kong, and in Bali.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.