Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q1 2011 - Hilton Honors Promotion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q1 2011 - Hilton Honors Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the post. I guess I will be using Hilton more than Marriott in Q1 2011!!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, ANA GM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, UA RCC, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I can guarantee you any Q1 promo will start the week after January 1st.
How about this one: I am at 88K HH points and have booked a stay at Hilton Shanghai for Dec 26, 2010 to Jan 2, 2011, during which I have estimated that on Dec 31, 2010, I would have earned 13,000 HH points to allow me to easily requalify my Diamond status. My question is: Would the necessary earned points be automatically applied on 12/31 to requalify me, or would the hotel wait until check out on 01/02/2011 to deposit my points, in which case HH might contend that I qualified AFTER 12/31 so, therefore, I did not requalify! Does anyone know how something like this has been handled before?

Last edited by UA1K4EVER; Nov 25, 2010 at 5:58 pm
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I think it's supposed to be by date-of-checkout; however, I seem to recall that in reality the computer goes by date-of-posting for these things?

You will definitely not qualify for 2010 earnings (towards 2011) status with a January 2 check-out; the entire amount will be credited towards next year (post as 2011 earnings for 2012). The only thing I can suggest would be to modify your reservation into two, checking out on the 31st, and another for the balance of your stay, without your HH# linked in any way (forfeiting those points). Then, if it were credited (by the computer) to next year by date-of-posting, you'd have a strong case for asking for a status adjustment.

Hope that made sense - I'm sure more experienced folks might know better.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Already planning for three nights Dallas, a three night in Houston area, a 5 night in Southern Cal, four in Springfield, four in Kingston, four in Charlotte and three in Sacramento. There is a possible four in Chicago also. This is just in Q1. This promotion fits my travel style perfectly. I do not do move arounds as it is just too much trouble.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:10 pm
Suspended

I think it's supposed to be by date-of-checkout; however, I seem to recall that in reality the computer goes by date-of-posting for these things?

You will definitely not qualify for 2010 earnings (towards 2011) status with a January 2 check-out; the entire amount will be credited towards next year (post as 2011 earnings for 2012). The only thing I can suggest would be to modify your reservation into two, checking out on the 31st, and another for the balance of your stay, without your HH# linked in any way (forfeiting those points). Then, if it were credited (by the computer) to next year by date-of-posting, you'd have a strong case for asking for a status adjustment.

Thank you for instilling sufficient doubt in me to cause me to contact HH CSR about this. What you said about being credited for 2012 on 01/02/11 is essentially correct, but I was assured that I could have "fixed" things after the fact by calling CSR back to indicate that I had reached 100K points by 12/31 and should requalify. That did not sound reassuring enough, so I just did what you suggested. I have changed my reservation to check out on 12/31 to force posting of the 13,000 points, and then check right back in as a 2-day reward stay from 12/31/10 to 01/02/11. The change over worked just fine and I think that this should guarantee that I will have my points posted on 12/31. In fact, I just realized that doing this also qualifies me for the Q4 promo, which ends on 12/31! It is a win-win deal...Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:13 am
cjd

Originally Posted by UA1K4EVER
Thank you for instilling sufficient doubt in me to cause me to contact HH CSR about this. What you said about being credited for 2012 on 01/02/11 is essentially correct, but I was assured that I could have "fixed" things after the fact by calling CSR back to indicate that I had reached 100K points by 12/31 and should requalify. That did not sound reassuring enough, so I just did what you suggested. I have changed my reservation to check out on 12/31 to force posting of the 13,000 points, and then check right back in as a 2-day reward stay from 12/31/10 to 01/02/11. The change over worked just fine and I think that this should guarantee that I will have my points posted on 12/31. In fact, I just realized that doing this also qualifies me for the Q4 promo, which ends on 12/31! It is a win-win deal...Thanks!
I think that there is still doubt about what you are doing as Hhonors combine paid and reward stays and may still consider this as one stay checking out on 01/02/11. Might be wrong but think this tactic is risky with regard to what you are trying to achieve. As Points Scrounger mentioned previously, it may be best to check back in without reference to your Hhonors no or perhaps you are with a partner and you could check back in their name.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cjd
I think that there is still doubt about what you are doing as Hhonors combine paid and reward stays and may still consider this as one stay checking out on 01/02/11. Might be wrong but think this tactic is risky with regard to what you are trying to achieve. As Points Scrounger mentioned previously, it may be best to check back in without reference to your Hhonors no or perhaps you are with a partner and you could check back in their name.
I am sure that what I just did will work, for a number of reasons: (a) the HH CSR I spoke with told me that it would work; told me that to be sure, I should let the desk agent know to credit me for the paid stay on 12/31, before checking me in for the reward stay from 12/31 to 01/02; moreover the paid stay is for a junior suite, whereas the reward stay is for whatever is available, so that I would have to be physically checked out and then in, making it two separate reservations -- they now appear as such in my HH account; (b) I have stayed at this property many times before (third time this year) and they know me already; they would make sure that I am credited properly; and (c) it would be silly for HH to argue about crediting me when all evidence is available to show that I would cross the 100k mark by 12/31. To fail to credit someone who has shown this degree of "loyalty" would be so mindless on their part it is inconceivable that they'd do it.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
To fail to credit someone who has shown this degree of "loyalty" would be so mindless on their part it is inconceivable that they'd do it.
In any normal world yes. But I would still be very careful about doing this, had a similar situation once at the London Paddington when I combined paid/award-stays and could not earn miles...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS
In any normal world yes. But I would still be very careful about doing this, had a similar situation once at the London Paddington when I combined paid/award-stays and could not earn miles...
This is simple. If they insist, I will just cancel the reward stay and go elsewhere, which will force them to check me out on 12/31. However, for the multiple reasons I stated, I do not think that I will have a problem doing it the way I did. It will be clear to them why I would be checking out and checking back in, and I'll make sure that they understand too and do the right thing right then.

Stay tuned!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:33 am
cjd

This is simple. If they insist, I will just cancel the reward stay and go elsewhere, which will force them to check me out on 12/31. However, for the multiple reasons I stated, I do not think that I will have a problem doing it the way I did. It will be clear to them why I would be checking out and checking back in, and I'll make sure that they understand too and do the right thing right then.

Stay tuned!
I certainly hope it works for you, but there was just a bit doubt in my mind. I like your logic, but with Hhonors you just never know Will certainly stay tuned.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by majorwibi
A large majority of extended stays dont honor the promotions. The hotel I'm currently living out of (Homewood Bel Air) is not honoring the promotion and its costing me nearly 200K points as a result...
Ah.. I understand your issue now.

I think that's a totally separate issue. Some of the opt out lists for the promos have been pretty lengthy this year.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

+1. What I'd do is call HH and explain the situation, and ask them to give it to you. I wouldn't rely on the system posting things correctly despite what any HH CSR says right now.

Originally Posted by cjd
Hmm, if the nights are consecutive despite it being mixed with a reward night, it still might combine them from a date perspective. I wouldn't risk this, and make sure I check out on Dec 31st or earlier and not have another night in between.

Again to the OP, I'd simply call HH and ask them just to give it to you.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Again to the OP, I'd simply call HH and ask them just to give it to you.
This will be taken care of live, there at the counter, on 12/31/2010. I will (a) make sure that the folio reflects the charges necessary to give me what I estimate to be 13,000 points, and then (b) I will insist that points be posted immediately, and (c) I will call Diamond Desk to enter the transaction into the records and associate someone's name/ID with it.

The bottom line is that none of this will be necessary because I have a great rapport with folks at this hotel and I know that they will do what is necessary to ensure that I requalify. These are not the folks I am worried about. It is the folks at HH HQ who process these things that I am worried about. Ensuring that the hotel does it right is key, however.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by majorwibi
A large majority of extended stays dont honor the promotions. The hotel I'm currently living out of (Homewood Bel Air) is not honoring the promotion and its costing me nearly 200K points as a result...
Should have switched up the road to the HGI like I did. I can deal with a HGI room for a few months instead of a HW room to get the 4x points. Great Promo!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This will be taken care of live, there at the counter, on 12/31/2010. I will (a) make sure that the folio reflects the charges necessary to give me what I estimate to be 13,000 points, and then (b) I will insist that points be posted immediately, and (c) I will call Diamond Desk to enter the transaction into the records and associate someone's name/ID with it.

The bottom line is that none of this will be necessary because I have a great rapport with folks at this hotel and I know that they will do what is necessary to ensure that I requalify. These are not the folks I am worried about. It is the folks at HH HQ who process these things that I am worried about. Ensuring that the hotel does it right is key, however.
(c) it would be silly for HH to argue about crediting me when all evidence is available to show that I would cross the 100k mark by 12/31. To fail to credit someone who has shown this degree of "loyalty" would be so mindless on their part it is inconceivable that they'd do it.
I suspect you will run into problems with what you are doing; when all is said and done, those reward nights are going to mess things up, IMHO. Regardless of your monetary loyalty over the past year, I can easily see Hilton sticking to their guns over the "you checked out on Jan 2, so those are next year's qualifying points." To get that resolved in your favor will likely involve escalation that you could avoid by just either staying elsewhere, or having the hotel check you out on the 31st, and back in again on a separate reservation (I'm sure they'd let you keep the room on the same rate) without your HH# involved; the points for those nights aren't worth the (likely) hassle.

I wish you the best of luck with (b) and (c).

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Nov 26, 2010 at 9:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.