Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by From NYC
While I haven't checked out yet, to know for sure that they're not intending to charge me for internet use, there are a few other things about the hotel/room I wanted to mention.

The room, 251, does not have enough electrical plugs. At the desk, there are only 2, and they're taken up by the phone and the desk light. I unplugged the desk light to plug in the computer. I also had to lift the desk away from the wall, and the mini-bar fridge is located on that side of the desk, in order to plug in the Macbook Pro's block. That meant that there were no easily reachable plugs left for me to use to charge my US cell phone or my UK pay as you go mobile. The plugs in the bathroom didn't reach far enough for the cords I had.
This actually isn't specific to this hotel. Most of the Hiltons (and a few of the non-Hiltons) have this problem in London. No idea why. In a number of them the hair dryer is in a drawer in the desk as that's the only place to plug it in...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I made an advance purchase booking here a couple of months ago to stay next month, and it billed my card yesterday, with the description "SOUTHAMPTON RO". I was just about to phone up my bank and ask for a chargeback for an unauthorized transaction with a company I'd never heard of, but having had experience of Hiltons randomly doing this before, I checked my upcoming bookings to see if there was one for the amount, and indeed there was.

The hotel is situated on Southampton Row, hence the description, but I rather doubt many people would make the connection. Surely it wouldn't kill them to (a) bill people promptly for advance purchase bookings, and either (b) have a note saying "this transaction will appear on your card statement as SOUTHAMPTON RO" or (c) change their merchant name to "DOUBLETREE WEST END" or what-not?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You should let Hilton (Diamond) know so they can officially inform the management of the correct policy.
^

There's no excuse for the hotel to know the MyWay options available, but not be up to date on a policy that's been in effect for half a year. More importantly, I'm sure the OP isn't the first Diamond member this London property has seen in that same time period.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flyerbb
I think, this in only a glitch and they only need time to adapt since they are new to Hilton, you can have look at my post in the "Doubletree London West End" thread.
doesn't matter how new they are....this should be reported to corporate so that other people don't face problems in the future....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And my stay is tonight. My online account shows that there is an executive room waiting for me (which is quite nice given that the hotel is full). Will report back soon.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed here Friday night.

The issues described up-thread about Golds/Diamonds being told that internet is still a My Way choice rather than always free have thankfully been vanquished; I was proactively offered an internet code along with my cookie at check-in. The letter does make clear that the code is only valid for two devices and speed is limited to 512kbps down/128kbps up, which I suspect many people will find somewhat unsatisfactory. On the plus side, it is wireless and is not operated by iBahn.

As noted above I was upgraded to a king executive room, although the receptionist didn't mention it. (As this is common across the family hotels I've stayed at, I wonder if the computers even show what type of room someone originally bought?) The executive wing is rooms X47-X54 on each floor, and unfortunately they are the furthest from reception. While there is a separate elevator to get between the floors next to the executive wing, it does not go to reception. Perhaps this was poorly thought out.

The EL is through a random door in the bar. No lounge dragon or other access control! I arrived around 6pm so I can't comment on afternoon arrangements, but the evening drinks reception is between 5pm and 7pm, earlier than most other hotels because of the hotel's location in Theatreland, where most shows kick off at 7:30. The variety of drinks was very limited, with just red and white wine and bottles of Fosters on the alcoholic side. Soft drinks were 150ml cans of Pepsi, diet Coke, Schweppes lemonade, Britvic orange juice, and tiny glass bottles of pineapple juice. There was also a very limited number of bottles of water. Food was tiny canapés such as fish paste with a sliver of salmon on a cracker. There was also random salty snacks, and a rather nice pecan pie. Tea & coffee were available from a machine.

The EL is quite small. It seats 22, or 26 at a squeeze, and with over 30 executive rooms (plus Diamonds) using it I am not at all sure if the space would be enough. I think the hotel has recognized this and Golds/Diamonds are allowed to take breakfast in the restaurant, which is a full breakfast as opposed to a very limited EL selection. The quality was good although there was limited quantities of everything put out and they were sometimes slow to replenish them.

The EL did not appear to have a closing time, and had books, games, and CDs available to borrow.

The room was a nice size with a very large king bed, safe, but no minibar. Two bottles of water accompanied the tea and coffee facilities. Toiletries were Neutrogena, as opposed to the almost ubiquitous C&E in Hiltons here.

We had dinner in the basement restaurant which was almost deserted. A pre-theatre menu was on offer for £13.95 with a dessert add-on for £2, with two selections in each course. It included a free glass of wine or soft drink. I looked briefly over the main menu; starters were around £5 with mains in the £10-£25 ballpark, relatively cheap for a central London hotel.

This hotel would not suit anyone who gets bothered by little small things not being just so. As mentioned above, the directions to the executive rooms are quite lacking. It's recently opened so there are still a few rough edges, but I wasn't bothered. I would stay here again, if the price was right.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
I made an advance purchase booking here a couple of months ago to stay next month, and it billed my card yesterday, with the description "SOUTHAMPTON RO".
I did they same and the charge came across as PARK INN SOUTHAMPTON ROW. I just don't think they've changed their credit card processing over from their days as a Park Inn.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcmike
I did they same and the charge came across as PARK INN SOUTHAMPTON ROW. I just don't think they've changed their credit card processing over from their days as a Park Inn.
I had the same description appear on my Amex online statement today for when I settled the incidentals on Friday night. They should probably get that changed over. If nothing else, it'll mean any visiting Surpass cardmembers don't get their 9 points per dollar.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just completed a stay here and thought I'd report in. The location is really excellent, steps from the British Museum, close to all the theaters, bars, and restaurants in the West End, a great place for exploring the city on foot, but also a stone's throw from Holborn tube station and there are great bus connections just outside the door.

The property is good. The lobby is very nice and the executive lounge currently just off the lobby, is nice but small. One you get upstairs, however, the hotel looks a little dated. I had booked a Queen Superior Room, was put in a King, and it was easily the largest room I have ever had in London. Not a suite, mind you, but a very nice room. The room itself was modern and well appointed.

The thing that really set this property apart for me is the staff. I don't think I've ever encountered a nicer, staff more willing to help out and assist. If I was standing in the lobby, waiting for my traveling companions, after a few minutes someone would come up and ask if I needed any assistance. One of the restaurant managers always came over to ask how breakfast was (the hot breakfast in the restaurant is not bad at all) and then, as we were leaving, saw us in the lobby and came over and had a 5 minute chat, asking about our stay and hoping we'd come back. The desk staff were great. Really, really top notch people and we dealt with numerous people so it seemed to be an excellent group across the board.

Overall, I was really pleased for the rate we paid. It's not a WA or a Conrad, but if you're not expecting the moon, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

PS - while I saw workers, I never heard any construction sounds. The people who I was traveling with, who were on a different floor, also didn't hear anything.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:50 am

I just checked in. At the front desk, I was told that "All I can offer you is a one-category room upgrade" -- although rates tonight are as low as 80 GBP tonight, so they clearly cannot be full. Room is on the second floor, although my preferences indicate higher floor. No one seems to have done any of pre-organizing by arrival and status, at least today. Once I got to my room, I discovered that the air conditioning system would not turn on. I dialed the Careline, which only gives me a dial-tone after dialing the number. I then called the front desk for five minutes. No answer. I called the concierge several times and the line disconnects after dialing. I walked down to the front desk and was told they could provide me with a fan. I want air conditioning as otherwise the air would be too stale and there is no way to open the windows. The gentleman at the front desk said he might be able to find me a new room. Twenty minutes later he called to say they'd found me a new room but it'd take awhile for it to be cleaned. The guest comment card, which was completed by a previous occupant, indicates that air conditioning didn't work for then either. The fact that no manintenance staff member was sent suggests to me that either no one is on duty or they just don't want to make the effort to fix it right now. Here I sit waiting for all this to be resolved with only an afternoon in London to play before a heavy work schedule beginning tomorrow.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:28 am

I am considering staying at this property for four nights next month. If this air conditioning issue does not get fixed fast then I will definitely consider staying elsewhere.
Old May 22, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

travisw, do remember that there is no access control on the lounge
Old May 22, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
travisw, do remember that there is no access control on the lounge
yes, that's true! i went around 4 pm and there were just a few pre-packaged muffins and a small fridge. the lounge itself is small but attractive. i didn't go tonight for canapes.

they ultimately moved me to another room, same room category (clearly a large number of rooms are available given the low rates tonight but they'd refuse to move me to any except one that matched room type), first floor, across from the service elevator. what a way to make something worse rather than better!

oh, and the porter who showed up at my old room with the key to a new one told me he'd take me to it. didn't bother to offer to help with the bags. then, when he saw that the the elevator would take awhile he said "i'll let you find your way" and took off.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Slvr, BMI Blk, HH Dmd, SPG Gld +a wallet full of other less shiny cards
Recent Stay Review

Hi,

Stayed at this hotel last week for several nights and here are my impressions.

Arrived late for check-in (10pm) and was not given an upgrade neither was it mentioned that they couldn't accomodate this perk. I had to probe and was told with a mumble that the hotel was full (that is fine but at least tell me from the start).

I did however get a note with my free internet passcode and free breakfast at the executive lounge. The same lady very quickly mentioned if I was interested in a paper (as if trying not to ask that question). I said yes but only received the paper twice out of the four nights I was there.

I had a room on the 6th floor (top floor) - the corridors had a slight odour of paint but not overwhelming. The room was small (not tiny) as was the bathroom but new and looking at the floor map there were even smaller ones and many bigger ones.

Lifts are small and creaky (once even got stuck for half a minute or so) but the lobby looks nice and new.

The lounge is to the right of the check-in desk and in the bar section. It is small with 5 tables of two and two sofa type sections in the back. The selection for breakfast is small and includes: Rolls, bread, ham, cheese, fruit salad, cut vedgetables, several types of cereal boxes and yoghurt. I didn't have the chance of checking out the evening snacks. Most morning I had breakfast at 7:30am and the lounge was empty and was only asked once out of several visits what room I was in.

The hotel is still under light renovations but from my room on the sixth floor it was not noticable.

The day before leaving requested a late check-out (weekend) and was told that it could be extended from the official 11am to 1pm and every hour after that would be £10 extra. I am not sure if this is something available to everyone but asked if it was possible for a 3pm check-out but was met with quite an abrupt no and that I had received the 1pm (not a problem was just asking!).

When checking-out at 3pm was not asked to pay the extra £20.

Overall the hotel is in a good location and is still learning the ropes. Staff and service ranged from pleasant to abrupt. This was the first time I have not got some sort of upgrade and didn't feel any diamond recognition (this is a very subjective last comment and hard to explain).

http://thedisgruntleddiner.blogspot.com/

TDD
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG Gold
Nice hotel in a good location.

I was upgraded to an Executive Room which was pleasant and it was a good size by London Standards.

The gym is in the basement. It is decent enough however there is no natural air resulting in the room being quite stuffy at times.

This hotels biggest let down is their Executive Lounge. The breakfast offering is poor. The selection of evening canapes is reasonable, with their drinks offering being one bottle of white whine and 2 bottles of Fosters.

There is no access to any other alcohol, resulting in the entire lounge having to share the above until a member of staff refills. There is no dedicated member of staff here, so it could take up to 30 minutes for them to check the EL.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel based on its location and interior. However, for those HHonors Diamond travellers looking for Diamond 'perks', they were not great at this hotel.

Last edited by moore1984; Nov 3, 2011 at 6:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.