Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

xooz, good point however if they failed to honor the terms of his reservation, then it really should be on them. If they refused to walk him, then he should get the difference in room rates refunded to him.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by Ross0
7Continents: Was it a bad stay at the Doubletree West End? I'm deciding between that property and the Trafalgar Hilton this weekend. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
See my review on trip advisor. I'm Seven_Continents on 9/5/10.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Two items come to mind.

1. Room preference are just that - preferences. Room type is NOT guaranteed. Even for Diamonds. So as long as they had a room available, there was no "walk".
2. This Doubletree is 100% non-smoking. When I go to their web site it will not even allow me to try and book a smoking room. Maybe this has changed since the OP booked the room - but it really does not matter as "preferences" are not guaranteed.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firstly if you really want to go that way, he could just check in and smoke all he wants, especially in the UK, you rent a room, and tenancy/lodging laws in the UK prettyy much say that you can do whatever you want in that room (at least in this regard) and whatever policy the hotel may try to enforce is not in fact legal, but I am not going there. If there was in fact the option available and he checked and confirmed it several times in writing as he claims then he should have been put somewhere where his CONFIRMED preference was available at the same rate and they should have covered sending him to the hotel. The really funny thing is that when I have read hundreds of threads from non-smokers complaining that they could only get a smoking room over the years, I never hear anyone saying, "but that is a preference!!!! and they do not have to provide it".

BTW, while in your profile smoking may be a "preference" when you book the room, it is normally a ROOM TYPE.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Was just in London, stayed at Waldorf Hilton. In the website, there is no choice to book a smoking room at this hotel but there are indeed smoking rooms exist in the hotel.

I asked why smoking rooms exist while it is not bookable, the staff who showed me around told me inside the room is the only place one can smoke within the hotel so they do keep a few available. It sounds strange to me but that's what it is - a hotel does not offer smoking room during booking does not mean there is no smoking room available and does not equal to 100% non-smoking facility (which they do not claim that on the website).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I am staying here in around a month. The EL is apparently not opening until April; hopefully it will be there by the time I arrive.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by stifle
I am staying here in around a month. The EL is apparently not opening until April; hopefully it will be there by the time I arrive.
The last update I had from the hotel last week (from the front desk agent) was that it was due to open after the Easter weekend, so late April.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Gah. Too late for me.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:58 pm

I'm at this hotel now. Checked in today. I'll write more later, but so far, I'm less than impressed. My initial thoughts:

Pros
- Updated/newish feel (this is my first time at this property, but it is clear that the rooms are brand new)
- Updated amenities/appliances

Cons
- I'm in an "executive room" that is in a corner of the hotel and the wifi signal is nearly nonexistent. I cannot maintain a stable connection for more than a few minutes.
- The air conditioning does not work as when I attempt to get cold air I get hot air.
- Weird quarter glass shower doors
- The room numbering system appears to be a bit odd.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ross0
Pros
- Updated/newish feel (this is my first time at this property, but it is clear that the rooms are brand new)
- Updated amenities/appliances
I believe the hotel is only open three months, so it would be quite something if this wasn't the case!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, M&M Senator (thanks FB), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Room upgrade OR Internet as Diamond doubletree west end London

I have been told, that since I was upgraded to a better room and had complementary breakfast, I was not entitled for free Internet.
The upgrade is in fact 1 room higher (first floor overlooking a busy street).
The only catch I see is that this hotel does only provide wifi and looking at the T&C free Internet is for in-room only.

Is this normal policy ?

The lounge is now open but does only provide beer, cheap wine and very poor selection of snacks.

I think I will stick to the Hilton Kensington for the same price range, decent food, drinks an breakfast, free wired Internet and upgrade.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The internet should be free. Period. Wired or Wireless, no matter if you choose the two cookies and bottle of water or a room upgrade. It's not one or the other.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Per the Terms and Conditions, Golds and Diamonds are entitled to complimentary high-speed internet access in their rooms. There is no nexus between this and My Way On-Property benefits.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They seem to be stuck in the since-discarded procedure where free internet was a My Way option, cancelling out upgrades, etc. Free internet is now supposed to be in addition to one's My Way benefit.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
They seem to be stuck in the since-discarded procedure where free internet was a My Way option, cancelling out upgrades, etc. Free internet is now supposed to be in addition to one's My Way benefit.
The Scrounger is correct. I knew I had seen an email on this - and I found it. Here is a copy and paste of the text. Message was received 9/1/10:

Complimentary High Speed Internet Has Arrived

Hilton Worldwide is pleased to announce that as a Diamond member, you will receive complimentary in-room, high-speed internet access during your stay at all 3,600 hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands.

Be sure to ask the front desk agent about your complimentary in-room, high-speed internet at any of your future stays at our 10 distinct hotel brands in 81 countries.

We have changed your current My Way benefit from high-speed internet to a room upgrade request. If you would like to select a different My Way benefit, please log into your profile and click on "My Way" and select "Your On-Property VIP Benefit Preferences."

We hope you enjoy your complimentary in-room, high-speed internet access.

Seems pretty all-inclusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.