Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Algarve {PRT}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks for the detailed Conrad Algarve review MS. Would be looking at either a mid to late May trip to Portugal or late Sept / early Oct. Any idea of the weather then? (for Madeira, Lisbon, and the Algarve). Given your description I'll have to take a closer look at what the Algarve area itself has to offer a traveler.

Looking for both rugged natural beauty / jaw-gaping vistas (Madeira seems to win the prize there) and history / castles (Lisbon, and Sintra in particular seem to be top picks for that).

Is the Algarve best for a beach holiday? Not my intent for this particular trip. Not opposed either. Probably asking too much to expect both history + beach holiday in one place.

Wish the Algarve was a wee bit closer to Lisbon. But I didn't know about the Faro airport so will have to take a look. Any idea about connections from Faro to Madeira?
I can't speak to the weather in the late spring or early fall, but a quick online search indicated slightly cooler temperatures and a bit more rain.

I'd say most Algarve visitors are looking for a beach holiday, but there are certainly other things to do. While the cliff-lined beaches, rolling hillsides, and Ria Formosa park are beautiful natural landscapes, the Algarve region is home to several historical sights, including Roman ruins, Moorish castles, and more. The city of Faro is also worth a day trip.

The drive from Lisbon to Almancil is longer than I'd prefer, but because it's almost entirely through empty countryside, there's little risk of traffic. If you can fly to Faro instead, all the better. I've not been to Madeira, so I can't speak to connections to/from there.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by MS02113
I can't speak to the weather in the late spring or early fall, but a quick online search indicated slightly cooler temperatures and a bit more rain.

I'd say most Algarve visitors are looking for a beach holiday, but there are certainly other things to do. While the cliff-lined beaches, rolling hillsides, and Ria Formosa park are beautiful natural landscapes, the Algarve region is home to several historical sights, including Roman ruins, Moorish castles, and more. The city of Faro is also worth a day trip.

The drive from Lisbon to Almancil is longer than I'd prefer, but because it's almost entirely through empty countryside, there's little risk of traffic. If you can fly to Faro instead, all the better. I've not been to Madeira, so I can't speak to connections to/from there.
Thanks for all the info MS. I'll have to look up the Roman ruins and castles--sounds intriguing.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Thumbs up

Just got back from a great stay here as a Diamond who booked a standard room with points got upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Suite with pool view.

Hands down one of the best hotels I have been a guest in. Just great Service.

Full review with lots of photos here:
http://upgrd.com/blogs/damian/a-gem-...stayed-in.html
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Family of four of us are just about to head to the Conrad Algarve for a 5-night stay .

Is it worth hiring a car for daily runs out for lunch, sightseeing, etc? Or is public transport easy to join near the hotel?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:46 am

Still a very nice property based on what we're seeing .

A new area called Dado at the lower end of the gardens is a delightful space to spend the whole day by the elegantly designed pool. Double bed type pods to read or sleep with attentive pool side service from nearby restaurant area (ie, placed to serve this section if the gardens) which also has a nice lunch menu without having to drag yourself back to the main building.

Diamond one level upgrade from standard P+M Reward 'city facing' room to pool facing. Multi device WiFi, water, turndown amenity, breakfast and 'cocktail experience' also offered as Diamond benefits.

Selection of reasonable looking dining options in mini mall over road from hotel, or a few more with rustic setting 10min drive away.

Already considering returning next year ^.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:20 am

Not as good as espected...

Hi All.
We are at the property now. As seen so far we are not enthusiastic.
What do I start with....
Arrival was ok, warm welcome. Nice first impression.
But no upgrade (we are Diamond) as we are concerned. Standard rooms are good enough though, so no complaint. Besides we have back view, but to me personally is nicer since we can sight the ocean.

They didn't gave us any brochure of the hotel at arrival (the usual letter I mean) and so we had to ask all information day by day: internet access procedure, timings of the restaurants (they do not have a display for that, not on the TV menu, nor on the Guest Directory in the room, and when I asked the Reception they told me "it was a good idea and that they should make one" but in the meantime they wrote me the timings on a piece of paper: they have 4 restaurants and 4 bars!).

As Diamond we have free breakfast, free internet, newspaper and free access to the Spa. We had no chance to try it yet.

Today we used one of the pools (the inside one): a bit too cold and not really an inside pool since there are no windows, so just a half glass wall. No towels available in the ladies changing room and no one to ask for.

Today we went to the main restaurant (opened until 16:00 for lunch) at 14:00, and ordered 3 courses. Luckily the kids menu arrived immediately, as well as the entrance course, but for the 2 adults main courses we had to wait 45minutes (one burger and one fillet fish)...not that complicate.
And when arrived one plate was wrong. We didn't want to wait another 40min to get the right order so we just sent it back to the kitchen. They apologized but when the bill arrived, they told us they charged a similar plate, but cheaper!!!
We talked to the supervisor and, after 10min, he wanted to offer us the lunch for free. We did not agree: we explained him we didn't want to pay for others mistakes and just asked to pay for what we actually ate. So we did.
We left the place very upset and still hungry.

We went to the room, just to discover they just made our room (until 3 it was not done yet)...but: no drinking water replaced, no toilet paper replaced, no shower towel replaced...I had to ask for it to the housekeeping lady which was very nice and helpful.

We travel a lot for leisure (we became Diamond just with vacation stays) all over the world, used to Middle and Far East welcome style, we are not much impressed. We already had a reservation for this summer...but considering changing to somewhere else...pity...

We will be here for 4 more days...I'll keep in touch and let you know if things get better
See U
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 am

...forgot to say we are not using points, got a totally pre paied reservation...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:21 am

updating report

Hi all.
Just to report things turned out to better. We got plenty of apologize from FBManager and General Manager too.
In the meantime we used other facilities: Dado bar and restaurant and the pool nearby are very good. The service at the pool is perfect. Same as for room service, one of the fastest we ever experienced. Spa ok.
Starting was not 5stars...on the way got better and better.
We will be back in summer...I'll let you know
Old May 9, 2014, 4:26 pm

Hope someone can help with these queries.

1. What are food prices like? Is it worth E130 per night for half board?
2. Is it true kids 5 and under eat all their meals for free?
3. Can someone confirm current diamond benefits as this isn't clear from the thread?
4. Is there still a 'house car' and is this complimentary or are all journeys, even local, paid?

Many thanks
BM
Old May 12, 2014, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by bigmerv
Hope someone can help with these queries.

1. What are food prices like? Is it worth E130 per night for half board?
Is that per person or for two in the room? We had a nice evening meal for 2A+2C with wine, juices, etc in the Lauro restaurant and it was ~E60/head. That's similar to our 'big' evening meals at the nearby coast restaurants, but more than you'd pay if you ate a little more simply in the (nice looking - didn't use them) restaurants in the small, upmarket shopping centre over the road or drove out of town a bit.
2. Is it true kids 5 and under eat all their meals for free?
Ours were older, so can't comment.
3. Can someone confirm current diamond benefits as this isn't clear from the thread?
From the letter I was given at check-in
  • 50% Extra Points
  • Complimentary internet and daily paper (UK Daily Mail)
  • Complimentary water and turndown (slightly spotty service on this, but not enough to annoy)
  • Free access to 'social areas' of spa (pool, etc) - but not for children
  • Late check-out (subject to availability)
  • 1 Tea Ceremony or Cocktail Experience (we had the latter and it was a nice way to spend pre-dinner on the outside terrace)
  • 1 bottle of wine in Gusto restaurant (upmarket so we skipped as we wanted cheaper / simpler while with children)
4. Is there still a 'house car' and is this complimentary or are all journeys, even local, paid?
I think there are two cars, the larger being a BMW 7 series that is left in front of the hotel when not in use, possibly to advertise Avis who supply it according to the labels on the car.

We were quoted prices for airport trips and a trip out to Spain that we were considering. I think prices for drop-off / pick-up at the local coast restaurants were also given, but I may have been mistaken there.

In the end we had a hire car. Valet parking was efficient and free.

Many thanks
BM
You're welcome. Enjoy the trip if you go - it's a nice place. A day by the lower pool and a light lunch in the Dado restaurant there was our most relaxing day I'd say.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; May 12, 2014 at 5:31 am Reason: Added valwt parking bit
Old May 12, 2014, 5:10 am

Just returned from a 10 night stay.

Lovely hotel, fantastic staff. Restaurants, some good some average. And I would say on the expensive side for the average ones. Breakfast excellent.

Just to confirm on some of the above:

Car Parking. If you can find a space in front then just park there. I think it's valet or nothing but you certainly don't get charged if you self park in front. In the summer though I doubt you'll find a space.

Diamond benefits. Afraid I'm not Diamond. But I will comment that multi device wifi, turndown with water and access to social areas is free for all.

One major issue I have. they haven't credited me nights or points. I'm about to go to them about this but very very annoyed. 10 nights for me, two for a friend who joined me for some golf and no points.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Has anyone any experience of the half board rate here?

How does dinner work? Is it set menus or specific restaurants or a daily cash allowance?
Old May 13, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Silverknapper
Diamond benefits. Afraid I'm not Diamond. But I will comment that multi device wifi, turndown with water and access to social areas is free for all.
Hmmm. I might start a thread on how the difference between Diamond and Gold / Silver / Pleb is being degraded .
Old May 17, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just finished a lovely stay at Conrad Algarve as Diamond was upgraded and got free access to spa, also free for gold and silver ( normally 15 euros per person )

super breakfasts by the pool with lots of choice, high quality.

Half board includes dinner in Louro which includes cheaper options with an allowance towards more expensive dishes small supplement of 5 to 10 euros.

Good restaurants nearby also.

Lovely property but small so upgrades are not guaranteed which is a shame.

No executive lounge.

Just rebooked for June with friends who are Gold and told upgrade may or may not happen won't find out until our arrival,but front desk manageress is a lovely lady who tries her best to make sure your stay is very nice.

Even though there is no lounge I love the feel of this hotel and the staff are superb.

True 5 star.

Last edited by PaulH1; May 17, 2014 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
i have a weeks stay coming up at this hotel.

i am HH Gold but booked it via Avios in their half price sale earlier this year.

We are in a Deluxe Pool view room.

I take the the chances of an upgrade are quite low? The Hilton site has next category rooms available.

Would you wait until check in or force the issue on email with front desk now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.