Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Algarve {PRT}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:40 pm

The Best of the Best - the New Star in the Hilton Family

A very long trip report -

After four flights and almost 24 hours, we arrived at Faro Airport. Since we hadn’t check luggage, we exited quickly (no immigration or customs) to look for the Conrad Algarve driver. Soon we see two elegantly dressed gentlemen rush to greet us with my husband’s name written on an iPad. In addition to our driver, Rui Gonzaga, the Front Desk Shift Manager, had also come to the airport to meet us.

Prior to our trip, I had emailed Rui re: airport pick up, meal planning, activities, etc. In addition to Rui, I received pre-arrival emails from Marco, the Food & Beverage Manager, and from Vera, the Head Concierge, to ensure that everything would be in order for our stay.

After a 15-minute ride in a BMV 740d, we arrived at the Conrad where Rui took us up to our sixth (top) floor deluxe pool view suite for check-in. The suite included a half bath, in addition to a full bath with separate shower stall, and a bidet. Next to the shower stall was a heated towel rack, which we had to request to be turned on. We had a balcony that ran the length of the living room and bedroom. It had a table for four, plus a sofa. The balcony offered a view of the pool, plus the countryside in the distance.

At night, the view was often accompanied by a symphony of barking dogs. The hotel told us that the dogs belonged to a nearby farmer and the hotel has not been successful in asking the farmer to keep the barking noise down. However, the barking only bothered us when we were on the balcony. Once we closed the balcony doors, we couldn’t hear the dogs.

After check-in, Rui took us to the spa where Benedita showed us the spa facilities. We quickly decided that the spa would be perfect prior to an early bedtime. We enjoyed the jet pool with its various stations. I especially liked the one that sent jets across my back and my calves. After the jet pool, we went into the steam room (there is also a dry sauna) before relaxing on the heated ceramic beds. That first night, we skipped dinner and went straight to bed. At 2:00 am, we woke up famished and devoured the tray of local cheeses and the bottle of Taylor 10-Year tawny port that was our welcome amenity.

After breakfast the first morning, we used the hotel car to take us to Maria beach (named after the restaurant at that location) and walked slowly about 30 minutes to Julia beach (named after another restaurant). When we were done walking along the beach, we asked someone at the Julia restaurant to call the Conrad to pick us up.

Upon returning to the hotel, I had a 60-minute massage. Each massage is personalized – i.e one can specify 45, 60, or 90 minutes. In addition, one can request the areas to focus on. I requested a neck, shoulder, and back deep tissue massage, followed by a few minutes of reflexology on my feet. Bliss! One minor complaint - the masseuse asked at the end if I was in a hurry. When I said no, she brought out an oxygen tank and suggested 15 minutes of oxygen to help overcome jetlag. The 15 minutes of oxygen cost 15 Euros, a drop in the bucket, but I still would have liked to be informed of the additional cost in advance. So ask first to determine what the extra service would cost.

Instead of renting a car, we relied on the hotel car to ferry us to Faro for an afternoon. We had pre-arranged a pick-up time, but the hotel was happy to change the time when we called. Another day, the hotel car took us to Loulé to visit the fish market and the Sunday gyspy (flea) market. Finally, the hotel car took us to the Faro train station on our last day.

In discussing the cost of the car service, Rui estimated what a taxi would cost for the various trips and offered a 25% reduction for using the hotel car. We promptly agreed because the hotel car service provided excellent personable drivers. The trips also allowed us to chat with the drivers to learn more about the Algarve region and about Portugal.

March is definitely the off-season and the hotel occupancy is very low. I doubt the hotel would be willing to offer a reduced price for the car service in high season.

We were afraid that five nights at the Conrad Algarve would be too long, but time flew by quickly and we were truly sad to leave. I could have stayed a few more days to relax in the spa, have another massage, and enjoy more food. And moving on to food…

DadoQ
Prior to arrival, we had indicated an interest in the DadoQ, an outside area where the hotel serves a Portuguese BBQ. Upon arrival, the hotel informed us that it was too cold to have the BBQ at Dado. It suggested that we have it on the terrace of its Louro restaurant. The food would be prepared similarly, but we would not have a grill at the table. We met with Marco, the F&B manager, to discuss our preferences and requested a mixture of meat and seafood for the BBQ.

That night we arrived to an empty restaurant. We learned later that the restaurant was closed for a private event. However, they had set up a table on the outside terrace, along with two gas heaters, for us. There were also two servers assigned to pamper us. Louro had also set up a table right inside the terrace in case we got cold and wanted to move inside.

The BBQ experience started with an amuse-bouche of smoked salmon. Then we had two different salads – a typical Portuguese salad of diced vegetables (similar to a Greek salad without the feta cheese) and a wonderfully delicious arugula salad with julienned pears, chopped walnuts, and fresh slices of parmesan. The dressing on this salad was vanilla, honey, and a bit of olive oil. I can see myself recreating the salad often at home.

After the salads, the servers brought out two trays. The first tray included lamb chops, beef slices, and chicken. The second tray had salmon, sea bream, and tiger prawns – all delicious. Dessert consisted of an assortment of pastries and a passion fruit mousse.

After three hours of eating, we thought our evening had come to an end, but the servers had a surprise for us. We had mentioned to Rui and Marco that we would like to sample the specialty liquors of each country that we visit. The servers brought out three liquors – the first is an almond liquor that was served on ice with some lemon juice – very similar to amaretto. The second one was served straight at room temperature – Licor Beiroa – and is made of herbs. This one reminded me of a sweeter Becherova. The last one – Brandymel – a brandy sweetened with honey. This one was served slightly warm in a brandy glass.

The barbeque was our favorite meal while at the Conrad Algarve. The service was outstanding and we felt totally pampered in the restaurant. At 35 Euro per person, this was also the bargain meal. Wine and drinks are extra, but we had our complimentary bottle of wine and our complimentary bottle of champagne with this meal. Marco, the Food & Beverage Manager, also offered us a complimentary “special” cocktail, which we requested to have on another day.

In-Room High Tea
The second day we had the High Tea on our room balcony. Prior to the High Tea, we had the Cocktail Experience in the lobby lounge, which I have already talked about in an earlier post. During the cocktails, we were given a tray of house tea so that we could select a tea for the High Tea. We could have selected coffee instead.

The High Tea consisted of six sandwiches per person – two each of beef, smoked salmon, and veggie/cheese. Instead of the typical tiered tray, the sandwiches were beautifully presented in a box. In addition to the sandwiches, the tea included two different types of scones, plus an assortment of mini-pastries. It also included a glass of sparkling wine each.

At 55 Euros for two, I thought the High Tea was overpriced. I would have preferred that the glass of sparkling wine be optional so that we could either not have any wine or order our own wine. Next time, I would just order room service and have the same balcony meal experience with better food.

Gusto Tasting Menu
We had the tasting menu on a Saturday night and the place was hopping. Some of the patrons were hotel guests and others were locals. I am glad that business is good because this is a hotel that deserves to survive during the current tough economy.

Our menu (at 52 Euros each) included:
- Amuse Bouche of smoked salmon and a small cup of broth
- Marinated seabass sashimi with orange air
- Fagottelii Carbonara (ravioli-type pasta where the carbonara sauce is inside the pasta and creates an explosion of juicy flavor when one bites into the pasta)
- Pesce di Scoglio with celery and curry (no idea what kind of fish this was)
- Braised veal check with topinambur crčme and broccoli (my favorite where the veal melted in my mouth)
- Mango with coconut ice cream with green tea infusion’
- Nougat sfere with strawberry, mascarpone, and almond sable
- Petit Fours

With the meal, we had the wine pairing. I ordered the regular set of light wines at 20 Euros, while my husband ordered the set of more robust wines at 33 Euros. Each wine pairing consisted of four wines, followed by either a port or a muscatel. Neither one of us could finish the final wine.

We found this meal to be a good value compared to what we would expect to pay in other major European cities or in the U.S.

And before our meal, we had our “special” complimentary cocktail that we had deferred to this evening. It is a special creation of Gusto’s bartender and he named it after Carlos Santana’s Samba pa ti (tea) due to mint tea infusion along with the tropical tastes.

Sunday Brunch
Why Sunday Brunch after the huge breakfast? We wanted to sample everything, but the brunch turned out not to be a highlight. At 42 Euros per person, I found this meal to be overpriced.

Brunch is held from 1:00 to 4:00. We arrived shortly after 2:00 p.m. One section had remnants of lemon wedges, but nothing else. The section was never replenished, so we don’t know what we missed. The center section had a fish dish, potato au gratin, rice pilaf, and a vegetable. The carving station included pork chops and beef. By the time my husband went to the carving station, the beef had run out, and again it was not replenished. There was also bread, cheese, an assortment of charcuterie – all similar to the breakfast items. There were also some cold salads and an assortment of mini pastries.

In addition to the pastries, the brunch included a crepe station for crepe suzette and other dessert crepe makings. There was also a chocolate fountain with fruit for dipping. I wanted a savory crepe and selected some cheese and slices of chorizo. However, the crepes were all pre-made and the server initially couldn’t figure out how to make a savory crepe. I finally suggested that he take one of the pre-made crepes, put the cheese and meat in it, fold it up, and microwave it. It worked.

While the food was not inspired, I enjoyed the music. At one point, Marco asked what I thought of the music. He said it was a departure from the normal jazz combo. I actually liked the guitarist and singer duo. The guitarist sang some Beatles songs, while the lady singer contributed some Handel arias and Broadway show tunes.

Brunch also included a glass of sparkling wine per person. Again, I would have preferred the wine to be optional.

Other comments:
- I had collected some seashells and left them near the sink. Housekeeping folded a towel to resemble a shirt and decorated the “shirt” with my shells as buttons. Very cute!
- One morning at asked at Louro to see the lunch menu. Then I realized that I didn’t have my reading glasses. The server quickly whipped out a pair of glasses for me to use. “We like to be prepared,” she said. Very impressive!
- I had asked if the hotel breakfast included pan de queso. I hadn’t realized that this was a Brazilian specialty, and not a Portuguese one. Yet one morning the server presented me with a tray of this delicious bread. The hotel butler (Joăo) had given Louro his own tested recipe and the restaurant re-created it for me. Very delicious!
- One day we asked Doreen from the Front Desk if we could see Suite 549. Doreen was happy to show it to us. This is the suite with its own private pool, steam room, sauna, kitchen, and Joăo as its private butler. Very elusive and not in my budget!
- On a Saturday morning the hotel hosted an early Easter egghunt for the children of the hotel staff. This is a hotel that clearly values its staff and where the entire staff’s warmth is genuine. Never have I ever felt so pampered at a hotel. I truly believe that, even in high season, the staff will still exhibit the same thoughtfulness and gracious hospitality. I will be booking another stay again soon.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bamboola
After a 15-minute ride in a BMV 740d...

... we used the hotel car to take us to Maria beach (named after the restaurant at that location) and walked slowly about 30 minutes to Julia beach (named after another restaurant). When we were done walking along the beach, we asked someone at the Julia restaurant to call the Conrad to pick us up.
Could you give me some idea what the hotel was charging for the various transfers and the availability of cabs in the area? I am considering going out here but my concern is that it is a bit off the beaten track and that I will just rack up huge taxi bills if I don't rent a car (which I would prefer not to do in a foreign country where I don't speak the same language).
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:39 pm

The ride to the beach area is complimentary. The ride to Faro airport/train station is either 34 or 45 Euros depending on the car.

In addition to the Faro airport pick-up at 34 Euros, we paid an additional 95 Euros for a day trip to Faro, an excursion to Loulé, and a ride to the Faro train station.

I think a taxi would be cheaper, but we opted for the convenience and reliability of the Conrad car. Everyone we met in the Algarve area spoke excellent English - possibly due to the fact that 60% of the occupants in the area are from the U.K., and the shop owners and restaurant staff have had to accommodate.

Originally Posted by adambadam
Could you give me some idea what the hotel was charging for the various transfers and the availability of cabs in the area? I am considering going out here but my concern is that it is a bit off the beaten track and that I will just rack up huge taxi bills if I don't rent a car (which I would prefer not to do in a foreign country where I don't speak the same language).
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:45 am

Recent Updates?

Any one has any recent stay experience to report? I am thinking of visiting this property in the future. I also had some questions.

Is there and Executive Lounge on the property?

As a Diamond what kind of breakfast do you receive? Is it continental of full breakfast?

Has anyone used baby sitting services or kids club?

Does this Conrad have a specific toy that they give out? It's a silly question, but I have a big collection going, so I was hoping they have one here.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:38 am

No Exec Lounge and no special toy. We did recommend that the hotel provide a chimney as its "toy." Once you visit the Algarve, you will see the lovely elaborate chimneys all over the rooftops.

Breakfast is in the Louro restaurant and is a complete American breakfast.

I peeked into the Kids Club. Don't know about babysitting service.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Babysitting was around 15 EUR per hour when we were there in April. The head of the Kids Club was our sitter, and we had no complaints. It's not a hotel-provided service (liability?) so you pay in cash. The Kids Club looked very nice though we did not use it.

The breakfast includes self-serve sparking wine/cava which is certainly a nice touch.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:42 pm

Thank you for the quick and detailed response and pricing for babysitting! Much appreciated.

I wish they had a Conrad toy, but that won't make it or break it for our trip out there.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by PedroNY
Any one has any recent stay experience to report? I am thinking of visiting this property in the future. I also had some questions.

Is there and Executive Lounge on the property?

As a Diamond what kind of breakfast do you receive? Is it continental of full breakfast?

Has anyone used baby sitting services or kids club?

Does this Conrad have a specific toy that they give out? It's a silly question, but I have a big collection going, so I was hoping they have one here.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

PedroNY
Just stayed 4 nights... I am merely Gold, but received a full breakfast in Louro Restaurant, more than an American breakfast as there were all kinds of smoothies etc. It will not leave you wanting except that the bacon is undercooked by American standards. They always gave mine an extra sizzle.

We stayed in a pool view 6th floor suite, and it was one of the most pleasant rooms I have ever stayed in. BTW, we used the train to Loule from Lisbon to get to and from the hotel.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:31 pm

Any Diamond members stayed here recently? What kind of upgrade can you expect to get as Diamond?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Both the property-specific and Conrad corporate Web sites state that valet parking is complimentary, while self-parking costs 25 € per day. That can't be correct, can it? I'll have a rental car when visiting the property in a few weeks, so it doesn't much matter either way, but I'm curious nonetheless.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nimenime
Any Diamond members stayed here recently? What kind of upgrade can you expect to get as Diamond?
I was staying at Conrad with my wife and 2 year old boy for five nights last month and get upgraded to the suite even it was points + money stay ^

Originally Posted by MS02113
Both the property-specific and Conrad corporate Web sites state that valet parking is complimentary, while self-parking costs 25 € per day. That can't be correct, can it? I'll have a rental car when visiting the property in a few weeks, so it doesn't much matter either way, but I'm curious nonetheless.
We only used the valet parking and it was complimentary, so I've no idea about self-parking.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
There seems to be a newish Conrad in the Algarve but hadn't planned on visiting the Algarve.
Conrad Algarve opened about a year ago. The property is fantastic, and I'd highly recommend it should you find your way down south.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:34 am

Conrad Algarve opened about a year ago. The property is fantastic, and I'd highly recommend it should you find your way down south.
Thanks MS. So would it be a good use of free Citi Hilton Reserve nights? If so, I may reconsider going to the Algarve. Is it a tier 7 - 10 property?

What features did you like about this property in terms of amenities, location, service, rooms, etc?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks MS. So would it be a good use of free Citi Hilton Reserve nights? If so, I may reconsider going to the Algarve. Is it a tier 7 - 10 property?

What features did you like about this property in terms of amenities, location, service, rooms, etc?
Given nightly rates of 589 €+ during the summer, Conrad Algarve would seem to be an excellent use of free night certificates. On the other hand, the standard award rate appears to be 60K/night year round, which is also a good value considering the quality of the property and the sad new reality of HHonors redemptions.

In any event, the hotel is located in an upscale area of the Algarve, an easy 2.5 hour drive from Lisbon airport. Alternatively, Faro airport is just 20 minutes away. Summer weather in the Algarve is near about perfect: hot days, cool evenings, cloudless skies, and almost no rain. Indeed, during a week-long stay in August, I literally didn't see a single cloud.

The hotel is situated on an inland hillside, about ten minutes' drive from the beach. Complimentary transportation is provided, though there is a charge for use of the sun beds (10 € per person, per day, including bottled water and towel service). Thankfully, there is no other resort charge. A number of golf courses, a large wildlife preserve, restaurants, and shopping centers are also located nearby.

The property itself includes four beautiful pools: a large, family-friendly free-form pool; a quieter, heated, infinity-edge pool in the courtyard overlooking the hillside; a covered, heated, mosaic-tile pool with whirlpool; and a small infinity-edge pool on the spa's outdoor sundeck. Complimentary bottled water, juice cocktails, and chilled towels are offered at the two larger pools, and the poolside service is friendly and attentive. There's also a tennis court, billiards room, expansive fitness center, and children's playground. The spa is beautiful and very well equipped: sauna, steam room, plunge pool, hydrotherapy pool, relaxation areas, and more. Grounds are beautifully landscaped and impeccably maintained, with striking gas-fired torches along the main infinity pool and front drive.

Standard rooms are large and luxuriously appointed, with separate baths and rain showers, heated vanity mirrors, and even a television over the bathtub. Each room also includes a large, private, comfortably furnished balcony. Both a kettle and Nespresso machine are provided.

The on-site restaurants are excellent, particularly the fine-dining Gusto by Heinz Beck. Breakfast is served at the more casual Luoro restaurant and includes an extensive hot and cold buffet along with cooked-to-order eggs, french toast, espresso drinks, etc. In my estimation, the spread is about as good as it gets outside of Asia. As a Diamond elite, I received free breakfast daily (I believe the menu price was 39 € per person). Elsewhere, cocktails were good but overpriced, though that's to be expected at a resort.

Perhaps most impressive is the service. During my stay, everyone from the front desk to poolside to the beach to the breakfast restaurant was friendly and attentive. Staff made a point to remember our names and preferences.

HHonors elite recognition is also quite good. I received a one-category room upgrade, a welcome gift (a plate of sweets and a large bottle of mineral water), a complimentary bottle of wine at Gusto by Heinz Beck (when we ordered the wine flight to accompany the chef's tasting menu, the sommelier, unprompted, suggested that we take our complimentary bottle of wine back to the room), a complimentary cocktail-making lesson or tea ceremony, free Wi-Fi, and the aforementioned hot breakfast.

All-in-all, I was thoroughly impressed with Conrad Algarve, and judging by its selection as World's Leading New Resort 2012 and Europe's Leading Luxury Resort 2013, others seem to agree. I can't wait to return.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 am

Thanks for the detailed Conrad Algarve review MS. Would be looking at either a mid to late May trip to Portugal or late Sept / early Oct. Any idea of the weather then? (for Madeira, Lisbon, and the Algarve). Given your description I'll have to take a closer look at what the Algarve area itself has to offer a traveler.

Looking for both rugged natural beauty / jaw-gaping vistas (Madeira seems to win the prize there) and history / castles (Lisbon, and Sintra in particular seem to be top picks for that).

Is the Algarve best for a beach holiday? Not my intent for this particular trip. Not opposed either. Probably asking too much to expect both history + beach holiday in one place.

Wish the Algarve was a wee bit closer to Lisbon. But I didn't know about the Faro airport so will have to take a look. Any idea about connections from Faro to Madeira?

Given nightly rates of 589 €+ during the summer, Conrad Algarve would seem to be an excellent use of free night certificates. On the other hand, the standard award rate appears to be 60K/night year round, which is also a good value considering the quality of the property and the sad new reality of HHonors redemptions.

In any event, the hotel is located in an upscale area of the Algarve, an easy 2.5 hour drive from Lisbon airport. Alternatively, Faro airport is just 20 minutes away. Summer weather in the Algarve is near about perfect: hot days, cool evenings, cloudless skies, and almost no rain. Indeed, during a week-long stay in August, I literally didn't see a single cloud.

The hotel is situated on an inland hillside, about ten minutes' drive from the beach. Complimentary transportation is provided, though there is a charge for use of the sun beds (10 € per person, per day, including bottled water and towel service). Thankfully, there is no other resort charge. A number of golf courses, a large wildlife preserve, restaurants, and shopping centers are also located nearby.

The property itself includes four beautiful pools: a large, family-friendly free-form pool; a quieter, heated, infinity-edge pool in the courtyard overlooking the hillside; a covered, heated, mosaic-tile pool with whirlpool; and a small infinity-edge pool on the spa's outdoor sundeck. Complimentary bottled water, juice cocktails, and chilled towels are offered at the two larger pools, and the poolside service is friendly and attentive. There's also a tennis court, billiards room, expansive fitness center, and children's playground. The spa is beautiful and very well equipped: sauna, steam room, plunge pool, hydrotherapy pool, relaxation areas, and more. Grounds are beautifully landscaped and impeccably maintained, with striking gas-fired torches along the main infinity pool and front drive.

Standard rooms are large and luxuriously appointed, with separate baths and rain showers, heated vanity mirrors, and even a television over the bathtub. Each room also includes a large, private, comfortably furnished balcony. Both a kettle and Nespresso machine are provided.

The on-site restaurants are excellent, particularly the fine-dining Gusto by Heinz Beck. Breakfast is served at the more casual Luoro restaurant and includes an extensive hot and cold buffet along with cooked-to-order eggs, french toast, espresso drinks, etc. In my estimation, the spread is about as good as it gets outside of Asia. As a Diamond elite, I received free breakfast daily (I believe the menu price was 39 € per person). Elsewhere, cocktails were good but overpriced, though that's to be expected at a resort.

Perhaps most impressive is the service. During my stay, everyone from the front desk to poolside to the beach to the breakfast restaurant was friendly and attentive. Staff made a point to remember our names and preferences.

HHonors elite recognition is also quite good. I received a one-category room upgrade, a welcome gift (a plate of sweets and a large bottle of mineral water), a complimentary bottle of wine at Gusto by Heinz Beck (when we ordered the wine flight to accompany the chef's tasting menu, the sommelier, unprompted, suggested that we take our complimentary bottle of wine back to the room), a complimentary cocktail-making lesson or tea ceremony, free Wi-Fi, and the aforementioned hot breakfast.

All-in-all, I was thoroughly impressed with Conrad Algarve, and judging by its selection as World's Leading New Resort 2012 and Europe's Leading Luxury Resort 2013, others seem to agree. I can't wait to return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.