Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago - Arlington Heights {US-IL}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago - Arlington Heights {US-IL}

Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago - Arlington Heights {US-IL}

Doubletree Hotel Chicago - Arlington Heights
75 W. Algonquin Road, Arlington Heights, Illinois, United States 60005
Tel: 1-847-364-7600 Fax: 1-847-427-4298

AAA Hotel Diamond Rating: <>< <> <> Hilton HHonors Reward Category: 3
(25,000 points per night)

Location, location, location - this hotel hasn't any, really. The booking form says it is 5.4 miles from ORD, but to get there you have to go to Rosemont, then head NW on I-90 toward Schaumburg - give yourself 20 minutes from ORD, more if there is a hint of traffic. If this suits you, well, this is written for you. And be aware the shuttle can be unreliable: First, of course, is the ~30 minute response time followwed by a 20-30 minute transit time; second, the hotel hosts the ANA crews, so between 0800 / 9 AM and 1100 / 11 AM, there basically is no shuttle service. The shuttle is dedicated to ANA crew, so they wil lnot take a "civilian" even if there are emtpy seats - and though they may leave at 9 AM, today the flight was delayed and the shuttle departed at 9 AM, returning at 10 AM. We had booked the 10 AM, so no worries, but I checked about getting out early and - no way! The driver told me it isn't unusual for delays to occur and those affect the airport shuttle - they will endeavor to get you there, or call a taxicab, but that IMO is not much of an answer. (Yes, it seems there is but one shuttle, so those one hour round tirp times can eat up some of your time.)

We had plenty of time with this trip, and decided to check it out for FT. When we recovered our bags, we called and were told the van would be there in 20 minutes - it took 30, and the van rolls only on call, not on schedule, as it does to take you back - you must book, preferably the day before, for van service to ORD.

When you arrive, it seems remote - the only nearby items of note are a Denny's and a Greek restaurant of some size. The hotel also offers shuttle transport to the nearby Woodfield Mall, which may explain the presence of Japanese tour groups here (as well as newsletters and materials in Japanese and Japanese speaking desk staff). The hotel was fairly empty at this time, other than a younger tour group (Japanese) and some families.

The hotel is basically an oblong with six floors, no scenery to speak of, and a strange decor emphasizing browns and darker colors, a rather 1970's look, decidedly old school. Nonetheless, it is clean, very clean, and offers 241 rooms with the usual amenities, large curved-screen CRT televisions, WiFi and ze-net cabled HSIA (did not check any of these), a large indoor pool, a decently set out Precor fitness room with headsets and replaceable ear pads and clean towels, a "snack bar" with machines and microwave for a variety of prepackaged foods, a "Birch River Grill" restaurant that actually - I was surprised! - fairly decent. The Business Center has 3 computer carrels (one is out of order today) and local and PrinterOn printing (from your oom or computer), and it is insufficiently ventilated - warm and humid, stale air.

On arrival (we booked AAA $125.10 + 13.76 tax) we were upgraded to x01, an old school but very spacious, suite. So, I can't report on the standard rooms - but here's the suite stuff.

The entry is to a large living room with a wet bar, microwave and mini-fridge, reclining chair with end table, sofa, coffee table, drum table with two chairs, furniture with another large-screen ancient CRT TV and glasses and ice cooler. It connects to the standard sized King room, and connecting the two is a long bathroom with granite counters, tub, and shower enclosure and toilet in a separate small room. The usual full complement of Neutrogena amenitii are present, extra towels and bath sheets, and a long closet with sliding doors holds the hair blower and ironing set - the bedroom contains a small closet of its own with luggage jack. The bathroom decor is in various shades of browns, even the wallpaper!

The bedroom additionally has end tables, large desk, chest of three drawers plus cabinet space with safe, separate wall a/c (noisy), and its own balcony - this lanai has two wooden chaises plus table, and you can look out onto the parking lot through a pierced steel grill. Uh, no, thank you. (The only semblance to "scenery" here is a stone-surrounded water feature seen from the restaurant.)

The decor is dark beige carpeting, cream/gold textured wallpaper, and deco style furniture in granite or dark brown surfaces, dark brown framing light maple veneers, lots of angles to let you know this is a replica of 1930s furnishings. Lighting is sufficient, and though the suite is adjacent to an elevator / lifts bank, these elevators are hardly ever used - they are at the far end of the hotel main corridor, so the two main elevators are down the lobby from the front desk - and they are tiny, all holding four people with rollaboards quite cosily.

As Diamonds we received a chit good for a free domestic beer or glass of house wine with dinner, and chits good for the breakfast buffet (on the menu at $15, though they also offer a "sunrise platter" with 2 eggs any style, 2 buttermilk pancakes, bacon or sausage, and potatoes for $7.99. The buffet is typical: scrambled eggs with chive and bits of tomato or peppers, bacon, French toast, hot and cold cereals, breads and pastries, cranberry and grapefruit juice, and a Japanese breakfast setup as well. Nothing special, but not bad, either.

All in all, a hotel with a rather eccentric, or at least idiosyncratic, style, a feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere, not highly used (at least today) but quite clean, staffed by friendly people with a surprisingly OK restaurant (for a Doubletree hotel).

Executive summary: If you have the time and patience, and want to save some money, this hotel seems to want the business, is clean and offers a decent dining and lodging experience within 30 minutes of ORD/ Chicago O'Hare airport. But be aware if you are depending on speedy shuttle service that it may not happen.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm Reason: add bits after experiencing
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
The Japanese Tourists may also be explained by this...

The Japanese Tourists may also be explained by this...

http://www.mitsuwa.com/english/index.html

Chicago, Illinois
The Chicago-area store is located at 100 E. Algonquin Road in Arlington Heights, Illinois, part of a number of Japanese businesses located in Arlington Heights, and opened in 1991. The store is open 365 days a year[1] from 9 am to 8 pm. Mitsuwa is the largest[citation needed] Japanese Marketplace in the Midwestern US. The Chicago store is one of two that are located east of the Rockies. This Mitsuwa location, like those in other states, was formerly known as Yaohan. "True World Market" has a sister store, called "One World Market" that remains open in Novi, Michigan, near Detroit.

The food court has many traditional foods, such as sushi, tempura, noodles, etc. It is made of the Otafuku-tei [Now Replaced by Gabutto Burger], Kayaba, Santoka Ramen, Jockey Express, Daikichi Sushi, Pastry House Hippo, and Mama House restaurants. Mitsuwa also has a travel agency named JTB. There are two entertainment shops in Mitsuwa Chicago, JBC Video, a Japanese video rental store, and Sanseido Book Store, a Japanese book shop. A cell phone store, Galaxy Wireless, is also located at the Chicago Mitsuwa.

Mitsuwa Chicago had a china store called Utsuwa no Yakata. This store is closed as of April 1, 2006. Sanseido Bookstore expanded into the area previously owned by that china store.

The location also has two personal care shops, Shiseido, a Japanese cosmetics store, and Super Health, a vitamin and other health supplement store.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Ah, so desuka! Domo arigatou.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:31 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Answers from a local

Originally Posted by JDiver
Location, location, location - this hotel hasn't any, really. The booking form says it is 5.4 miles from ORD, but to get there you have to go to Rosemont, then head NW on I-90 toward Schaumburg - give yourself 20 minutes from ORD, more if there is a hint of traffic. If this suits you, well, this is written for you.
You took the wrong way, easier to take Higgins to Arlington Heights Rd (north), one misses the Jane Adams (I-90) traffic. Higgins can be heavy but it always moves, best route from Schaumburg to ORD during rush hour as well. In regards to location, the DT is located near a great selection of cross roads to get one anywhere in the NW burbs, so I'm not sure what you were looking for. I would NOT recommend this hotel at all if planning on going into Chicago.

Originally Posted by JDiver
When you arrive, it seems remote - the only nearby items of note are a Denny's and a Greek restaurant of some size. The hotel also offers shuttle transport to the nearby Woodfield Mall, which may explain the presence of Japanese tour groups here.
There are plenty of good food options very close to this hotel (within 2 miles), skip Denny's, the Greek place & Birch River.

There are two Japanese markets with food courts in them, one is cross corner from this property (Mitsuwa) that mswtravels mentions (more details here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...elk-grove.html ), Asian Bistro, Johnnie's Italian Beef (one of the best in Chicago), Chow Patty (all vegetarian), Sushi (1/2 block east on Algonquin), Los Compadres (1 mile east on Algonquin). As well as many more, if anyone is interested in further details, just PM me, happy to help out.

Also for those who want to get outdoors, the hotel is located very close to the many trails in the Busse Forest Preserve (Ned Brown) area, a terrific place to go for a walk/jog/bike or to have a picnic. One entrance to the preserve is 1/2 mile south of I-90 on the west side of Arl Hts Rd (basically intersection of Higgins & Arl Hts Rd). The shuttle should be more than willing to drop you off at this. More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Brown_Forest_Preserve

Good comedy club in the Woodfield Mall.

So again, great location for the NW burbs IMO and usually a very nice rate, but seems it didn't fit your needs though.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

It worked for me, I'm not sure how you inferred it didn't. But if one is without vehicle (as I was) and short of time (as I wasn't), it would probably not be the best idea. (I didn't take the wrong turn, the shuttle driver wrongheadedly wouldn't let me drive ; it was he who drove that Jane Addams memorial tollway route.) But thanks for the valuable additions!

N.B. I added a caveat about the shuttle service.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 2, 2010 at 2:33 pm Reason: edit
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I've stayed here a couple of times and never taken more than a few minutes to and from Ohare. Never had a problem here and rates are usually quite good. Besides the Japanese tourists, a Japanese airline has used this DT as their crew hotel in the past and at times the lounge could be fun. Don't know if they still do.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Aug 2, 2010 at 4:03 pm
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
To be honest, I don't even know this property even offered a shuttle to ORD, as it is out of most airport shuttle radius.

There actually has public transportation to get to this place. If one is coming from ORD, take the blue line one stop to Rosemont, get on the PACE bus #606, it should only take 20 minutes to get there, but depends on the traffic on I-90. (Yes, this bus actually run express on I-90) This bus run approximately every 30 min, more frequent during rush hour, less frequent during weekends especially sunday.(every hour)

But I do agree since there are so many hotels (especially Hilton family) are much closer to ORD, OP definately make a mistake to use this as airport hotel.

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I've stayed here a couple of times and never taken more than a few minutes to and from Ohare. Never had a problem here and rates are usually quite good. Besides the Japanese tourists, a Japanese airline has used this DT as their crew hotel in the past and at times the lounge could be fun. Don't know if they still do.
I think OP had already mentioned it is the NH crew, and the problems with the shuttle because of that crew.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Basically, I had the time and wanted to explore. Traffic was a touch nasty the day we arrived, though it was worse heading south. All in all, I would recommend the hotel to those with business in the area. For those not wanting to play morning shuttle roulette or waiting, I'd probably recommend properties closer to ORD - from the so-so Hilton (but right there) to properties like the huge Doubletree in Rosemont.

Thanks, all, for adding more richness and depth to the report(s). That's FT for you...
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Just had a stay in this place because of Hilton's 4 for 1 promotion, got a great $87 from Doubletree's on sale 20% off weekend rate. I did use the shuttle (even as explained how bad it was from JDiver and tripadvisor. Surprisingly I called when I was on the blue line at rosemont, the agent told me the shuttle would be by the shuttle center in 5 min. That was around 2:30pm. When I got on the shuttle, the driver told me it was my lucky day, as if I missed it, I would probably have to wait til 3:30pm at the very least.

I wasn't upgraded, but buffet breakfast voucher for birch river. No water bottles in the room, but housekeeping knock on my door in the evening to offer me two bottles of water and a mint. They have a NHK channel on TV I guess also for NH crews. No microwave or mini fridges, and the TV wasn't a flat screen one.

The next morning I didn't go down for breakfast til 10am (it was sunday, so the breakfast last til 11am), so I guess I had missed the NH crew (NH 11 leaves at 10:50am), but surprisingly I saw the OZ crews were getting on the shuttle (OZ move its departure from midnight to midday to match KE's schedule). And after breakfast I saw two chinese pilots checkin, not sure if they are cargo pilots perhaps from CI ? Seems like this hotel has become an airline crew hotel.

Breakfast wasn't bad but certainly has very weak bread selection, I mean they have some unknown cheap looking donuts ! No danish or crossiant. They do have miso soup and white rice probably for the NH and OZ crews. There were a large crowd, seems like a family reunion going on, but the waiter put me in a table next to that big group of family despite many empty tables open in the restaurant. I asked for OJ and was given coffee instead. I asked to replace with OJ later on, it was a small glass, and he never came back to refill.

I inquired the shuttle back to ORD at 11am to see if I can get one at 12pm, I was told I have to wait til 1pm. By 1pm, there were like 10+ people standing outside waiting for the shuttle, the driver was nowhere to be seen. Asked the front desk, she had no idea where was the driver. By 1:15pm, finally the driver showed up, and yelled at everybody "All bags leave at the trunk !" Since the front desk knew about I was coming in from the shuttle, she could have ask what time I would like to take the shuttle back to ORD the next day. There is certainly lack of communication there.

Seems like the shuttle problem still exist after reported by JDiver a year ago. What I don't understand is they do offered a schedule shuttle to Woodfield mall, but no scheduled shuttle to ORD. And it seems they also have two vans instead of just one. Therefore, running a regular scheduled shuttle to ORD shouldn't be that hard at all.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 23, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.