Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 14, 10, 7:43 am   #1

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Hilton Molino Stuckey Venice or Rome Cavalieri WA?

Headed to cash in some of my Q1/Q2 Q3FN awards. Planning on a 4 night romantic getaway in Italy around our anniversary. Unsure of which property to choose and would love any opinions from anyone who has stayed at or visited both. I have read about each, but have never stayed at either one. Both my wife and I are Diamond, so we would expect top level service from either one. Thanks for the feedback!
Winecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 7:49 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Let me get you started. I didn't even have to search as the master thread appeared on the first page of this forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ollection.html
3Cforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 8:11 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Winecaptain- I guess the question is- do you want to visit Roma or Venezia?
They are quite different- choose the place first is my suggestion.
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 10:56 am   #4

Programs: HHonors, A'Club, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club, Hyatt, UA mileage Plus, Miles & More, AAdvantage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecaptain View Post
Headed to cash in some of my Q1/Q2 Q3FN awards. Planning on a 4 night romantic getaway in Italy around our anniversary. Unsure of which property to choose and would love any opinions from anyone who has stayed at or visited both. I have read about each, but have never stayed at either one. Both my wife and I are Diamond, so we would expect top level service from either one. Thanks for the feedback!
Why not both of them?

I visited both of the hotels and is very difficult to say wich one is the best. The Molino Stucky in Venice was an old mill, and a landmark in Venice, transformed in an hotel about 5 years ago after a wonderful restoration work. The Cavalieri is in my opinion one of the best hotel in Europe, slightly out of town but with a nice view over St. Peter and the town (remember to book a city view room).
If you decide to visit Venice and Rome there is a special train fare: during summer italian railways offer a special 19 EUR deeply discounted ticket with high speed trains, to be booked at least 30 days in advance. In this case you coud transfer from one hotel to the other in less than 5 hours (door to door).
Supersonic Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:53 am   #5

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, PC Plat Amb, Fairmont Premier
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Winecaptain- I guess the question is- do you want to visit Roma or Venezia?
They are quite different- choose the place first is my suggestion.
I agree that, if you can only do one or the other, this is they key question. I'd suggest Venice. Rome is great, but Venice is unique (for the canals, no cars, etc.), especially as a romantic get-away. Just make sure to get off the beaten track a bit to avoid the tourist hordes if you're there during a busy time of year.
Thunderroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:54 am   #6

@Supersonic Flyer: What site can the 19 eur fare be found?

Last edited by thecmg; Jun 14, 10 at 11:57 am.. Reason: more specific
thecmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 1:03 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecmg View Post
@Supersonic Flyer: What site can the 19 eur fare be found?
I saw that 19 euro fare on the trenitalia site

This is the link for the English speaking site.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Pick out your trip destinations from/to and then choose a time. Then the 19 euro fare will come up available.

I've only seen it because I'm looking at doing the same thing, Rome/Venice.

good luck!
2001racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 2:59 pm   #8

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Plat; HH Gold
My wife and I are staying in both hotels in November. If you can only choose one, I highly recommend Venice. You said you want a romantic getaway. I don't know if there's any city more romantic and special than Venice. At least in my opinion. If you've never been there, you must experience it.

If you've been to both cities already, and the hotel is your primary consideration, the Cavalieri is in a class of its own.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 3:34 pm   #9

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Thanks for the replies so far... Would love to do both, however, only have a long weekend (4 nights), so doing both would be too much travel time cutting in on the short trip. Haven't been to either city, so looking forward to the trip. Have visted Milan for work, but that is my only experience in Italy.
Winecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 3:59 pm   #10
Moderator: Travel Bidding forum

You can't book on Trenitalia using a USA credit card.
Old Jun 16, 10, 6:37 pm   #11

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
What are your dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
My wife and I are staying in both hotels in November. If you can only choose one, I highly recommend Venice. You said you want a romantic getaway. I don't know if there's any city more romantic and special than Venice. At least in my opinion. If you've never been there, you must experience it.

If you've been to both cities already, and the hotel is your primary consideration, the Cavalieri is in a class of its own.
Mort, we'll be at both hotels during November as well. What dates do you plan on being where? Might meet up and say hi.

2001racer
2001racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 10, 4:44 am   #12

Programs: AA EXP (2.4 MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001racer View Post
I saw that 19 euro fare on the trenitalia site

This is the link for the English speaking site.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Pick out your trip destinations from/to and then choose a time. Then the 19 euro fare will come up available.

I've only seen it because I'm looking at doing the same thing, Rome/Venice.

good luck!
There is a significant catch here: the trenitalia website does not accept US credit cards meaning that you can't actually book this online.
bdemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 10, 8:00 am   #13
Moderator: Travel Bidding forum

...Thus my post "You can't book on Trenitalia using a USA credit card. " two posts before this.
Old Jul 26, 10, 4:17 pm   #14

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We are doing the 2 hotels using the train, my wife wants to walk from the Venice train station to the hotel. She feels (March weather permitting, managable luggage) this would be a good way to get acquainted with the city and unwind from the 4 hour train ride. Google map has it at 3 km with a short ferry ride; sounds reasonable to me, are we nuts?
kmandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 10, 4:49 pm   #15

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
We are doing the 2 hotels using the train, my wife wants to walk from the Venice train station to the hotel. She feels (March weather permitting, managable luggage) this would be a good way to get acquainted with the city and unwind from the 4 hour train ride. Google map has it at 3 km with a short ferry ride; sounds reasonable to me, are we nuts?
Hi there- my wife and I stayed at the Stuckey back in Nov and LOVED IT and Venice! (we also stayed at the Rome Cav- againjust amazing as per the other posters). As for getting fromtrain station to the hotel- you will need to take a vaperatto at some point since the Stuckey is on its own little island. We utilized this website and it saved us a decent amount of money. http://www.veniceconnected.com/

Also check out the Secret Itineraries Tour of the Doge's Palace but reserve your tour as they sell out. Have fun!!
gogate99 is offline   Reply With Quote