Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At Hiltons and Conrads overseas, I have often enough managed to get 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. (with the latest being 7 or 7.30 p.m.). And it apparently seems to have nothing to do with my room rate or how often I have stayed there, although HHonors Gold/Diamond may have helped on various occassions. With hotels with executive lounges, I have learned that there is often no reason for me to have late check-out if I can have access to a safe, a secure place to leave my luggage, a place to sit, and a restroom/shower to access (read: hotel gym). Given that and a few gizmos, I now increasingly find no need for late checkout when by myself.

If I had to go with gut instinct:

1 p.m.: 100%
2 p.m.: 100%
3 p.m.: 80% (100% overseas, but much worse in N. America)
4 p.m.: 40% (80% overseas, but much, much worse in North America)
5 p.m.: 30% (50% overseas, but much, much worse in North America)
6 p.m.: 20% (50% overseas)
7 p.m.: 5%

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 7, 2004 at 1:59 am
Old Sep 7, 2004, 6:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
OK, I only really stay at UK and European Hiltons.

I've quite often asked for a 2pm or 3pm checkout. I've never been refused yet, although I think I was perilously close at the Hilton AMS.

What I do find is that it doesn't stop the constant "tappity-tap" from Housekeeping who are after the room.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:36 am

Hmmm, I almost always stay at Hilton or Conrad, where I guess I'm 100% for 4pm and around 90% for 6/7pm.

I wonder if I scored the latest late checkout of all time - 1am at Hilton Cairo?!!
After brief discussion at the lounge (who offered their standard late checkout for exec floor of 7pm, agreed 50% room charge thereafter til 11pm) and rather longer negotiation with the duty manager, we agreed upon 11pm gratis, 50% room charge til 1am if I needed it.
On checkout just AFTER 1am, front desk manager waived the additional 50% charge. Result!

Anyone done any better?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Scotsflyer
Anyone done any better?
Barring a completely comped extra night/day, this will be very hard to beat!

Personally, I have never been turned down when requesting a 2 pm or 3 pm checkout.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
1pm: 100%
2pm: 100%
3pm: 100%
5pm: 0% (only had the need to ask for this once and was refused, but was given a 3pm checkout and was told I would be able to use the exec lounge until I needed to leave).
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I have NEVER had a problem getting check-out as late as 3PM.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Hilton Honolulu, 2 stays as a Diamond and could not check out one minute later than posted.....they did offer a complimentary room guests could schedule in 15 minute intervals for showers, THANKS! Otherwise 1pm has never been a problem and I honestly dont know that I ever request past 2pm and cant remember every being turned down for that either.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:25 pm

Feb 2003 HWV 3pm
May 2004 at HHV 5pm
I told them we had a late flight.
I'm Gold just like most of you
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver, Hyatt GP Platinum, Marriott Rewards Silver
I'm not Gold or Diamond but ...

Most of my experience has been while not elite on anything (but always a member of the "base" program:

1:00 ... 80% success
2:00 ... 60% success
3:00 ... can't remember ever asking for this

After reading this thread, and making the second tier on several programs this year (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton) I will be trying a little bit more to stretch the checkouts.

I have requested late check out on checkin and have been pretty much universally told that I would have to place my request again the day I check out as availability for late check out is usually tied to how late the housekeeping staff is going to be working (how many rooms they have to clean). If the hotel staff is wrapping up at 3 pm, due to lite workload, and you stay til 4, it means they can't rent your room until the following day. Which is fine if they are wide open, but not so good if they are packed to the gills.

This sort of situation could occur in a Thursday Checkout situation where there weren't many people in the hotel on Thursday (weekday) but Friday (start of weekend) is fully booked.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:24 am

Is a late check-in a pro or a con?

I'm travelling on the day flight to London next week and was wondering whether a late arrival to a hotel (10pm in my case) is a plus or a minus? I've been given everything from a top floor suite to a convertable conference room with a fold down bed, when arriving late.

When are rooms assigned to reservations? Is there anything that one can do that morning before my flight?

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by abdawson1
I'm travelling on the day flight to London next week and was wondering whether a late arrival to a hotel (10pm in my case) is a plus or a minus? I've been given everything from a top floor suite to a convertable conference room with a fold down bed, when arriving late.

When are rooms assigned to reservations? Is there anything that one can do that morning before my flight?

Thanks
When I make reservations through a Hilton website, I add "Please hold room for late arrival." to the comments box. I don't know that they will hold the honeymoon suite but it keeps the room from being sold before I arrive.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 4:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, it can never help to arrive late.

OTOH, to mitigate a late, or possibly late arrival, I also use the notation section of my booking; it often reads "HHonors Diamond VIP # 123456. Please hold for late overseas flight arrival." or the like. That seems to help. (No opportunities to create a "Yours is a Very Bad Hotel" PowerPoint presentation yet. )

In a few cases, where I know the hotel will be very busy (convention, trade show, etc.) I will follow through with a call or e-mail a day or two in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
(No opportunities to create a "Yours is a Very Bad Hotel" PowerPoint presentation yet. )
I remember this one! It was great. I did a search, but couldn't find it. Is there anyone who can post a link?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Very Bad Hotel File

Originally Posted by boltor
I remember this one! It was great. I did a search, but couldn't find it. Is there anyone who can post a link?
Here it is:

http://www.snopes.com/business/info/badhotel/frame.htm
Old Oct 2, 2004, 1:20 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I called up the web site up and got a solid black screen. What gives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.