Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 10, 10, 2:16 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: DL-G, HH-G, SPG-G, HGP-P, PC-G, MR-S
Posts: 754
Hampton vs. Fairfield

Just cheated on Hilton for the first time in 2 years at the Fairfield Inn in Woburn, MA last night.

I stay 90% of the time at HI's and was curious as to how a Fairfield would compare.

Well here it goes...

CONS: Arrived at the Fairfield at 10pm and the parking lot was packed. It was raining and the front entrance was not covered which is usually at staple at HI's. Asthetically, the hotel looked a bit tired compared to most HI's. Breakfast area was crammed and felt claustophobic but the staff was much more attentive that ANY HI I'ved stay at. The food selection was comparable to a HI with more cereal selection, but a puny fruit salad bowl. Towels were small and worn! Height of bed and dresser were noticeably lower than HI and found myself bending over. Floorplan had vanity outside of bathroom which I liked but bathroom was a bit crowed. Comfort of matress was indifferent. Reward point accumulation was minimal as my preference was set to miles (taking advatage of Delta 5,000 mile promo) so only earned 2 points per $1 with MR Visa.

PROS: As a MR Silver (attained via Visa card) I received an silver colored Elite key card which I thought was a nice touch. The shampoo/conditioner bottles were of higher quality (Pantene vs. generic) and were much easier to use due to the snap top compared to the annoying twist/pop tops at HI.

Did not have a change to use the business center or fitness room during my stay.

Overall, it felt quite weird and foreign to cheat on Hilton but I love taking advantage of promos. From an earnings standpoint, MR in NO way compares to HH. The 500 point online booking bonus plus 6 points per $1 via HH AMEX (no annual) topples the puny 2 points per $1 via MR Visa ($30 annual fee). Depending on what HH rolls out for Q3 will largely determine if I opt for the MR Gold challenge.
seychellesbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 10, 2:27 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA 1MM/*Gold, WN CP/A+, MR Plat, PC Plat
Posts: 1,918
I've stayed at a number of Hamptons and Fairfields. Between the two I'd opt for the Hampton normally, as they have higher quality beds and other furnishings. I also like their breakfast a bit better. Fairfields are broadly comparable but there's a bit too much obvious cost-cutting in them.
__________________
yrt, gnihtemos dnatsrednu uoy kniht uoy fI
.evitcepsrep tnereffid a morf ti ta gnikool
darthbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 10, 2:33 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 31,354
Marriott has a newer credit card than that - they bumped it up to 5 pts/$. If you were actually going to stay with Marriott a lot I'd suggest you call Chase and upgrade your account. It's a higher annual fee but it included 1 free Cat 5 night per annual fee. (This generally nets out in the cardholder's favor. A Cat 5 Hotel Night is worth anywhere from $100 on up depending on where you use it.)

Not that this changes much: I agree with the general premise that Hampton is superior to Fairfield in pretty much every way.

I stayed at my first Fairfield Inn in quite a while last week. Little town in Iowa...I had a choice of Hampton or Fairfield and the 5,000 DL miles convinced me to try Fairfield. That property (in Davenport) was acceptable. A fairly new one, I think.
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 10, 2:44 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold
Posts: 8,298
I always felt that Hilton positioned Hampton Inn to be somewhere between Fairfield and Courtyard. Fairfield definitely is a high-end "budget" property -- clean and more acceptable than most of the budget category.
formeraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 10, 10:48 pm   #5
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 41,220
+1. I agree with this take on the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
I've stayed at a number of Hamptons and Fairfields. Between the two I'd opt for the Hampton normally, as they have higher quality beds and other furnishings. I also like their breakfast a bit better. Fairfields are broadly comparable but there's a bit too much obvious cost-cutting in them.
__________________
"We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment." - Hilaire Belloc
JDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 10, 8:08 am   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the road, 24/7/365
Programs: Hilton Diamond - Lifetime SPG Platinum - UA Premier Exec - Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 2,056
I always choose Hamptons because having a fitness center is a brand standard. Not so, I don't believe, with Fairfield Inn.
365RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 10, 8:37 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 31,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
I always felt that Hilton positioned Hampton Inn to be somewhere between Fairfield and Courtyard. Fairfield definitely is a high-end "budget" property -- clean and more acceptable than most of the budget category.
I agree with you...even if Marriott wouldn't.

My perception of Fairfield Inn is purely as a rural brand. A consistent place to count on during a roadtrip.

My perception of Hampton is that it can fill that niche in some cases - a good roadtripper's motel - but also has some better properties in developed towns and suburbs. In some cases, some downright nice properties. (Quincy, Illinois comes to mind.)
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 10, 12:22 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
Posts: 9,316
I am surprised delta gives you points at Fairfield. I have WN as my preferred airline and on Marriott stays fairfields don't earn you the 1/2 southwest credit
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 8:16 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 31,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I am surprised delta gives you points at Fairfield. I have WN as my preferred airline and on Marriott stays fairfields don't earn you the 1/2 southwest credit
I guess since most airlines are a paltry amount of miles per dollar, it doesn't really matter which brand is involved.

But I can confirm that the current 5,000 mile-per-stay DL promo works just fine with Fairfield.

(I've never aggressively pursued Skypesos but at the end of this 60k promo I'll have around 100,000 of them. Who knows what that'll really be useful for...)
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 6:44 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Posts: 295
paying my own dime, I prefer the Marriott properties over Hilton on a cost basis. I can usually stay at a Fairfield for $20-$30/nt less. I have a small geographic travel area so I kow most of the properties and the ones I stay in are comfortable. Breakfast is not a big deal to me as I look for an apple or nanner, juice and coffee. And the breakfast at HI are not very good IMO. microwaved powder eggs or omelets I'd rather skip. I do like their fruit selection though. I am relatively new to HH as I got the AE with comp Gold and the bizillion points. I hope to maintain the gold as it only requires 16 nts and there are some properties I can get affordable rates. The promotion of stay 4 get a nt is excellent. I focus on maintaining MR gold then work on who has the best promos for the qtr. Just my 2 cents.
ncgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 7:36 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
Posts: 156
I have a funny story about a Fairfield being sold out so I had to stay in a Sleep inn.... long story short I had to repair their treadmill so I could get my run in for the evening I mean repair with my tool bag (former life I sold treadmills)and my room had glitter on the floor and the desk chair was busted yep their was glitter on it as well.

Fairfield is my second choice only because of the points I earn with Hilton, but as a former Marriott rewards guy I still prefer Hilton due to the 2-1 ratio of properties in my region Hilton has a property in some of the most remote areas I travel in NC and SC.

If you want a different kind of hotel try a new Laquinta inn they are very modern and tons of decorating through-out the entire room, but poor location coverage.
Companycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 7:37 pm   #12
zaf
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Programs: HH Gold VIP, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Prestige, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgator View Post
paying my own dime, I prefer the Marriott properties over Hilton on a cost basis. I can usually stay at a Fairfield for $20-$30/nt less. I have a small geographic travel area so I kow most of the properties and the ones I stay in are comfortable. Breakfast is not a big deal to me as I look for an apple or nanner, juice and coffee. And the breakfast at HI are not very good IMO. microwaved powder eggs or omelets I'd rather skip. I do like their fruit selection though. I am relatively new to HH as I got the AE with comp Gold and the bizillion points. I hope to maintain the gold as it only requires 16 nts and there are some properties I can get affordable rates. The promotion of stay 4 get a nt is excellent. I focus on maintaining MR gold then work on who has the best promos for the qtr. Just my 2 cents.
Nope. To qualify you need to either:
- 16 stays
- 36 nights
- 60,000 base points (± $6,000 excl tax of spends in hilton properties).
zaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 10, 8:02 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaf View Post
Nope. To qualify you need to either:
- 16 stays
- 36 nights
- 60,000 base points (± $6,000 excl tax of spends in hilton properties).
in my case a stay is a night. I rarely stay in one laction for more than 1 night. you are correct though it is technically stays not nights.
ncgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 10, 11:45 am   #14
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DTW/FNT
Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by seychellesbound View Post
Just cheated on Hilton for the first time in 2 years at the Fairfield Inn in Woburn, MA last night.

I stay 90% of the time at HI's and was curious as to how a Fairfield would compare.
Tie breaker for some people may come from the fact that Marriott chain is pulling out of the AA frequent program effective 7/1

(I'm surprised there hasn't been a separate thread on *that*.)

Bob H
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 10, 12:55 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 31,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Companycar View Post
my room had glitter on the floor and the desk chair was busted yep their was glitter on it as well.
Dude, you got the Glitter Upgrade without status?!? Just don't go expecting that EVERY time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Tie breaker for some people may come from the fact that Marriott chain is pulling out of the AA frequent program effective 7/1

(I'm surprised there hasn't been a separate thread on *that*.)
Oh, we have an angry thread or six over on the Marriott board about that. Further stoked by AA's 35% hotel transfer promotion that expires on the same date as the Marriott pullout - but specifically excludes the common Marriott transfer mechanism.

Sort of like AA is trying to add insult to injury...
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 pm.