Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Hilton | Hilton HHonors
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 27, 10, 8:59 am   #1

Location: New York / Hawaii / Nevada; CO Platinum Star, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
HWV / HHV in Tsunami Danger Zone

With the effects of the earthquake in Chile about to strike Hawaii, the islands are seeing their first tsunami-related evacuations in over 40 years.

I remember at HWV in the event of a tsunami warning, you're supposed to flee the Waikoloa Beach complex and head to the main entrance at the highway above the Kings/Queens Shops. Is that happening now or do they just round people up into the highest floors of the resort?

At the HHV, I would think the only place safe is to head up... but don't remember any specific tsunami advice from staying there.

Anyone there now to tell us what's what at these resorts?
Weatherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 10, 9:06 am   #2

Location: New York / Hawaii / Nevada; CO Platinum Star, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
HHV Evacuation Begins Now

Just saw on the news... they're addressing guests now on the public address system to evacuate up to the highest floors of the towers.

Not the most pleasant wake-up call for people to hear on a Saturday morning...
Weatherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:12 am   #3

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 1.6 MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
In the newstand forum there is a moderator on the "Kona coast" where his particular hotel will be completely evacuated by 07:30 am local.

I was at HWV last week and even remarked about the signs on Waikoloa Beach drive marked as tsunami evacuation area.

Anyone there?

Best of luck,

Sail a Nacra
sailanacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:23 am   #4
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hawai'i forums

We last had voluntary evacuations for a tsunami in 1994 so it's not been that long. Still to hear the sirens is a little eerie.
slippahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:33 am   #5

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Platinum
We are at HHV now

We are on the HHV VIP terrace having breakfast now. The siren went off at 6am and there is a lot of excitement at the hotel with the beach & airport closed. Otherwise it is breakfast as normal. We are going to the gym and then will hang out in room. They said if you are above the 3rd floor you are fine (We are 21st Rainbow Tower) It is an absolute beautiful morning here weather wise.
CreveCoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 10, 12:40 pm   #6

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 1.6 MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Fox News is currently streaming webcams from HWV live. They've been showing them for about 10 mintues now. Didn't even know they had them. Anyway, resort looks deserted. Guess everyone is evacuated.
sailanacra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 10, 1:48 pm   #7
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Evacuation is just good risk management - but if I lived in Hilo, I'd worry more than if I lived in Kailua-Kona. (Location, and shape of the bay, history.)

Meantime, I hope my Hawai'ian na hoa have 'a'ole pilikia.
Old Feb 27, 10, 2:09 pm   #8
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hawai'i forums

Initial arrival time, nothing in the live shot on the live feed. But we never know yet...
slippahs is offline   Reply With Quote